Forums

Supercharger price increase means more superchargers in 2019?

Supercharger price increase means more superchargers in 2019?

The supercharging costs go up to 31 cents per key in all states. https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

I think this was necessary to pay for the upcoming 2019 SC expansion. A pretty steep increase though. What do people think?

owlegrad2 | 2019年2月14日

My goodness, factoring in depreciation for a road trip. Really? Who does that?

A quick google search shows the F-150 has an MSRP of about $28k. So yeah, big surprise a cheaper car is cheaper to operate on a per mile bases if you factor in depreciation. The F-150 has less value to begin with and has less to lose. Hardly an indicator of which car is cheaper to operate on a road trip. ANY 28k vehicle is going to look cheaper than a model 3 if you factor in the purchase price of the vehicle.

ANTHONYROSEJR | 2019年2月14日

It's a good thing. It's the only way to preserve the integrity of the Charging network. We have to encourage people to charge at home whenever possible and use superchargers only for extended travel.

SteveWin1 | 2019年2月14日

@owlegrad2, my F150 was $42K and they go much higher -- not that different than a Model 3 if you get a decent F150. I specifically wanted to see the difference between my F150 and my Tesla.

You're right, I don't think many people factor depreciation into the cost of a road trip. That's why I did it. I wanted to see what the difference was. Its not as if depreciation isn't a REAL cost, though, so its something people should at least think about, IMO. If you've got an ICE and a Tesla, and you're driving the Tesla around everywhere because its "cheaper" you might be fooling yourself. Its fine with me if you want to do that. I just wanted to share what I found with my vehicles.

rsingh05 | 2019年2月14日

@SteveWin - a real comparison would be buying a new 45k 3 and a new 45k F150, drive them the same number of miles for say 5 years, add the gas and maintenance costs and fuel costs for each, then subtract the resale value at the end of five years.

You can easily do the math above and calculate which car comes out ahead. Many people have some similar math for loaded, nearly 40k Camrys and accords and the 3 has come out ahead. The f150 has lower fuel efficiency than a Camry and added repair costs due to lower reliability. The 3 will come out wayy ahead.

billlake2000 | 2019年2月16日

I have noticed that no one has mentioned that an F150 can carry way more potatoes than a model 3.

Tuning In | 2019年5月2日

Christopher Le, did you think that in your brilliance, you thought of doing something no one else ever thought to do?

The reality is that everyone else is courteous enough not to spam the forum with their referral codes.

Pages