Forums

Car driven by personnel while at Service Center

Car driven by personnel while at Service Center

Took my Model 3 in for repairs, which has resulted in it being kept for a few days while I drive a loaner. Tonight I looked at my Tesla app to check how much battery is drained over night while at service center 10 miles away. To my astonishment my car was parked at the residential address a mile away from my home. Since it was so close I took a short drive to check on it, and sure enough my car was there at 9:30pm.

Is this standard practice, for Tesla employees to drive customer vehicles home overnight? I find this very strange. I really do not find it acceptable that someone else is driving my car.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年2月5日

It does not matter if she knew about it, or not. It is SOP for service people to drive the car, there is nothing constraining where they can drive it to or how long they can drive it.

neilhamrin | 2019年2月5日

Tanya-as always I agree with Bighorn. You live in Fl. Stand your ground state and I am so sorry you are so fearful. Surely something must go wrong.

gmr6415 | 2019年2月5日

@badaman, We obviously see this differently because I've been in the technician's shoes. When I was a mechanic it wasn't often, but there were times when I drove vehicles home over night because I was trying to set up all situations and circumstances as possible to diagnose a difficult intermittent problem. The choice is sometimes to do that or give the vehicle back to the owner to only have them come back the next day or week with the same problem and now they are even more angry.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but give the people trying to fix your vehicle a little room to do their job as best as they can and everyone comes out better off.

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@Magic 8 Ball
It was very tempting to drive it back home. What would the driver do then in the morning?

I'm frustrated because I've taken my car to the SC for this issue 6 or 7 times. Let me see your reaction when you drive your car for two miles after being repaired, and the error comes back. Not once, not twice... I'm lucky I'm not too far from the SC. What would the person who lives an hour or two away do?

Bighorn | 2019年2月5日

@tanya
You “feel violated and want to punch somebody.” Need I go on? “Somebody sat in my seat a long time doing who knows what...makes me cringe.” Wow—you should write trashy novels. You have a knack.
And yes, my car has been taken home by a tech before. A much nicer car, I might add. Like I said, Move on.

gmr6415 | 2019年2月5日

@neilhamrin, I live in FL too and sometimes stand-your-ground is a blessing. It legally allows drug dealers to shoot each other and then if one of them lives he/she can claim stand-your-ground only to live to be shot again.

That's a joke BTW - but also the truth.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年2月5日

@tanya, You seem to be extending your beef about driving the car to not getting it repaired correctly. Yes, not getting it repaired after they say it is fixed, is very frustrating. You are now throwing up strawmen about what others would do if they lived further away. Really, you have had it in 6 times, or is it 7, or is it an exaggeration, for the same issue?

#getoverit.

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@Bighorn
"A much nicer car, I might add", says all about you. Let's start bragging who has bigger balls. You will definitely lose.

gmr6415 | 2019年2月5日

@tanya, "I'm frustrated because I've taken my car to the SC for this issue 6 or 7 times. Let me see your reaction when you drive your car for two miles after being repaired, and the error comes back."

I think you've just made my point. Trying to recreate an intermittent issue can result in a technician doing whatever they can to do set up different (intermittent) set of circumstances to try and duplicate the problem.

At this point they want to put an end to your and their frustration. As a technician, I'd of done it in a heartbeat if I though it had gotten down to that.

It's a lot better than them throwing their hands up and saying "sorry we can't fix it". Take your car back and we'll get back to you if we run across something at a later date.

I have a question. Have you tried setting up a time where you and a technician can go for a ride with you driving so you can duplicate the problem with the technician in the car? If not, it might be worth proposing. If you can get the car to do this in two miles after picking it up from the SC it would seem to be a reasonable thing to do.

carlk | 2019年2月5日

I keep on wondering what the op would do next time when she sees a molehill.

CST | 2019年2月5日

Let's add this to #FirstWorldProblems.

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@gmr6415
Once the error is on the screen it does not go away until they repair something. Then b** comes back.

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@carlk

Make a mountain out of it, obviously. I shared my experience here, and based on reactions different people would take it differently.

Bighorn | 2019年2月5日

Had a feeling you might be a juicer. Careful with that sh*t.

CST | 2019年2月5日

Kale, Collards and Swiss Chard - makes the best combo! Don't forget the apples, lemon and carrots!

charles.a.braun | 2019年2月5日

@Tanya - How did you know that it was parked at The Service Center guy's home? Did you have some prior knowledge that he lived there?

Me, I would have just called the cops and reported the car stolen and let them know that because it was a Tesla that you could lead them right to the car.

Then let the cops kick in a few doors and determine the motive of the "theif" after they arrest him.

I would never just have assumed that it must be the service center guy that took it home for a test drive or just for fun.

gmr6415 | 2019年2月5日

@tanya, once again I'm not familiar with Tesla diagnostics, but I have a high end automotive scanner that I can plug into any car with an OBD port (I or II) and any other diagnostic port going back in to the 1980s. I can go in and clear all "active" and "historical" codes in a matter of minutes.

That doesn't mean I've fixed anything. In most cases the check engine light (when applicable) won't come back on until the error occurs again. That can be seconds, minutes, hours, days or months depending on the event that triggers the error code.

From your description this sounds like what is going on. They are clearing the error/code and driving the car. If it doesn't come back when they drive it they give it back to you. It happens again, you bring it back etc. etc., etc.

You have said this is an AP issue. What specifically is the problem and what does the error message on the screen state? Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember you specifically stating either.

RedPillSucks | 2019年2月5日

@Rodney King....

Can't we all just get along???
@tanya was simply airing a grievance. I think it's legit to be annoyed about this issue. Whether it becomes a bigger thing or not is something else, but this is suppose to be sort of a safe space, not?

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@Bighorn
I have no idea what does "juicer" mean, so I'll take it as a compliment. Keep bragging and insulting others; it will definitely make you "stronger" and "taller".

@charles.a.braun
Since it was so close to a bunch of bars, I thought at first it had been stolen. They told me today that it was Tesla's personnel taking it for overnight testing.

@gmr6415
The error is "Autopilot features limited". I have no problem them test driving it. I have problem of them not communicating their progress/efforts.

lbowroom | 2019年2月5日

yeah, they made a mistake by not informing/asking, but it wasn't nefarious. It was with purpose.

gmr6415 | 2019年2月5日

@tanya, From everything I've read that's usually an obstructed camera (can be as simple as dirt, heavy rain, snow or ice), a failed camera or a failed or out of calibration sensor. Obviously in FL I don't think snow or ice is the issue.

Not that it usually matters, but do you have PPF or aftermarket tinting on the windows?

lbowroom | 2019年2月5日

...and it's a car, not your lover. It's ok if someone else takes it home for the night.

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@gmr6415
No tinting, car is in its original state. They replaced a few cameras and sensors a few times, then computer, some wires, now harness. I don't know if they were in too much of a hurry to deliver the car, or they damaged something when they replaced the dashboard. They are professionals, I am just a user. But I appreciate all the feedback.

rxlawdude | 2019年2月5日

Wow. The responses here are pretty much all over the place.

I wonder if this practice is related to multiple reports of people's cars being dinged, scratched, or dented while in the possession of the Service Center. More correctly, when in possession of SvC staff members.

At a minimum, IMO the owner should be informed and give consent to someone driving the car from a secured area in the Service Center to someone's random home address.

Another note about some questionable practices: In California, service facilities are REQUIRED BY LAW to provide a customer a written estimate and list of proposed repairs to their vehicles. A customer should not have to ask for this. In my experience, I have had to ask for this each time I visit, and I then receive it within minutes via email.

I'm with @tanya on this issue. Should not have happened.

lbowroom | 2019年2月5日

not sure an estimate is required when the repair is free of charge. No one (even the service guy) disputes she should have been asked for consent. Question is if anything further needs to be done about it.

stevenmaifert | 2019年2月5日

So maybe next time take the time to read the fine print on the service invoice before you sign your car over to them: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vpLVLHxb58Y-BdByMOV3L6b-OdyjjBn9

I agree that test driving the car to the tech's home without notifying the customer in advance is crappy, but ...

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@lbowroom
They do provide it. How would you know what is done to your car? Is it really free?

Geico | 2019年2月5日

I would certainly be upset if this was my case. It is your car, and you are not turning it over to some tech to drive it as they wish. They are driving YOUR car, and thus it should be stated. When you turn your car over for repairs, you are only giving that shop permission to keep the car right where you left it - on their property. If they need to take it out on the highway, then they should have called and got permission.

I'm amazed people here say such things like this is a nothingburger. Yes, it is not a big deal. But to criticize a fellow owner who is going through a repetitive issue, to find out their car was driven without permission, is a big deal if it were me personally.

What if that tech that was driving your car was in an accident? And he was driving your car without permission? I mean come on people. This is a mistake on the tech for sure. A phone call takes 2 minutes.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年2月5日

The guy in HI was way more chill when an employee took his car by accident, and he was not even in for service.

rxlawdude | 2019年2月5日

@lbowroom: For each of my annual services that I paid for, I had to ask for the written estimate. I don't believe there is an exception for warranty work that relieves repair facilities from the written estimate requirement, and would appreciate a cite to an authoritative source that says something different.

rxlawdude | 2019年2月5日

OK, I found this exception to the written estimate requirement (California)
Business and Professions Code 9884.9(e)(1)
(e) A written estimate is not required for an automotive repair dealer to perform any of the preventative maintenance services defined in Section 9880.1 if the customer authorizes the service and either of the following occurs:

(1) The service is performed free of charge.

However, I would still assert that where a customer signs any document, they are entitled to a copy of that document as a matter of general contract law.

andy.connor.e | 2019年2月5日

I would have used my phone key and driven my car back to my house and scheduled a new appointment.

Orthopod | 2019年2月5日

I wouldn't care at all. I guess we are all different.

stevenmaifert | 2019年2月5日

"You agree that: Tesla and its employees may access and operate your vehicle for the sole purpose of testing and/or inspection of repairs"

There is nothing there about keeping the car on their property, or restricting the nature of a test drive. If she can demonstrate there was joy riding going on, she might have a case, but I would be more concerned about the insurance clause in the service invoice. It's on you!

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@Magic 8 Ball
Is this a competition now? I could not care less how chill is somebody over their car being parked in a strange place with their private info on display. I was chill when they brought me a "clean" loaner with something looking like underwear in the back seat (luckily it was something else).

"I would be more concerned about the insurance clause in the service invoice. It's on you!"

This.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年2月5日

@tanya I love competition, ultimately, when a thread like this goes on and on and on it is a competition for last word. You might win this one if you share details on what the "something else" was.

calpilot7 | 2019年2月5日

@8ball....are you for real? Authorization to service the vehicle doesn’t include taking the vehicle off the premises of the business and parking it in an unsecured area. You sound like you’re not really very cognizant of liability law. I’d be extremely pissed having my car leave the premises without my knowledge or consent.

I had a tire pressure sensor replaced and software said to drive to set the sensor. Service center did not drive my car to make sure it works. This is unacceptable.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年2月5日

@calpilot7......are you for real? Besides being pissed, what would you do about it; come onto a public forum and tell a bunch of strangers you are pissed?

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@Magic 8 Ball
Ha A ski mask at a closer inspection, which turned out to be a head sock for k1 race. Five coworkers looking at it all with his/her own idea of what it was. But nobody was willing to touch it.

Bighorn | 2019年2月5日

Russia, if you’re listening, please see to it that investigators from Seeking Alpha and Bloomberg learn about this travesty. Recommend linking video from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off to bait shorts.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年2月5日

The only travesty I see here is the missed opportunity to take the dirty underwear/ski mask and put on your head in front of a bunch of people that wouldn't touch it.

It would be like Carl Spackler eating the Baby Ruth bar.

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@Magic 8 Ball
I hope you aren't talking about my head.

yudansha™ | 2019年2月5日

@Bighorn
You sound like another keyboard warrior. Keep it up, little ninja.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年2月5日

@tanya If I stumbled onto a group that was unwilling to touch something, and the worse that something could be is soiled underwear, there is a really good chance it is going on my head immediately.

calpilot7 | 2019年2月5日

Best thing they could do here is delete fake accounts of those that don’t own the car. Trailer trash is easy to spot...they’re the ones that are indifferent about where or who drives their cars. Only a complete bozo wouldn’t care about having their cars used without consent.

calpilot7 | 2019年2月5日

8ball trash.

calpilot7 | 2019年2月5日

Need ignore function to tune out the tools.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年2月5日

Tin foil hats for sale here, got a few left and believe me, you will feel better with them on.

Pages