Forums

What is Tesla's procedure to push out software updates

What is Tesla's procedure to push out software updates

Does Tesla send updates by model type ( Ex. Model 3 first) or is it by VIN number order ( Ex. lowest VIN first)?
Is it by State (Ex California first)?
Any insight from prior updates?

DRFLGD | 2019年2月12日

Dartboard. Apparently.

Boonedocks | 2019年2月12日

Procedure? There’s not one

NKYTA | 2019年2月12日

Oh, I’m sure there is a procedure that we aren’t privy to.

Weather it is a good procedure or not is kinda hard to gauge. ;-)

NKYTA | 2019年2月12日

Whether

EVRider | 2019年2月12日

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...

sentabo | 2019年2月12日

They go by height, tallest to shortest. I listed my height at 7'3" and always get the updates as soon as they roll out.

NKYTA | 2019年2月12日

:-)

dborn @nsw.au | 2019年2月12日

Procedure? LMAO!! TESLA? Procedure, no such animal exists over there.

PBEndo | 2019年2月12日

@NKYTA
I thought you meant the weather determines when you get an update. That seems as likely as any other explanation I have heard.

vp09 | 2019年2月12日

My S90D is several updates behind. We don't have connectivity in the valley we live in. Should I drive the to nearest Service Center and ask them to do the over-the-air update for me? Or just park the car on the street in random places?

jordanrichard | 2019年2月12日

The people that ask about it the most, get the updates last........

AIA304 | 2019年2月12日

There is a method, we just don’t know it

avesraggiana | 2019年2月12日

Haphazard. Arbitrary. Nonexistent.

bp | 2019年2月13日

From an owner perspective, software update distribution will appear completely random, without any ability to predict how long it will take for a specific update to installed, or if a specific update will ever be installed.

With Tesla's quick time-to-market software development strategy, Tesla is continuously developing new software releases, distributing updates throughout the year. These releases go through a rapid internal test and a quick test by a small hand-picked group of external beta testers (and sometimes with a larger group of hand-picked early access testers), before the update starts getting distributed.

Updates are distributed in some sequence known only by Tesla, sent out in batches to vehicles each day. From an owner perspective, it's been impossible to predict when a specific vehicle will get an update - and the sequence doesn't appear to be the same for each update.

Obvious bugs and design flaws are periodically missed during this limited testing, resulting in a pause in the distribution while Tesla quickly corrects the issue, and then the process is started over again distributing the new update.

This process can take weeks or months before all vehicles see a new release.

At some point, Tesla will likely need to be more transparent about their software update process, providing more information about what is coming, and more information in the release notes (so you know what's in the update, before you hit the install button).

While Tesla and owners could benefit from improvements in their software development and release strategy, this has worked reasonably well since the first Model S was sold almost 7 years ago.

barrykmd | 2019年2月13日

jordanrichard | February 12, 2019
The people that ask about it the most, get the updates last......

In that case, I should ask more often.

DRFLGD | 2019年2月13日

I get updates at inconsistent times. Sometimes quick, sometimes not. The thing is, I was asked to be in the Early Access Program and I accepted, but I haven't gotten a single thing to try-out, much less get the updates as soon as they're released.

muhammadfm123 | 2019年2月13日

@sentabo I completely agree

Definitely goes with the driver's height. i'm tall and I always get mine before others (knock on the wood)

AIA304 | 2019年2月13日

Ok, here’s my Swag guess.

Tesla is using;
- type of car (AP1/AP2/AP2.5), first then
- WiFi MAC address, each cars WiFi address is unique
___
That would be logical, or not. :)

Tdreamer | 2019年2月13日

Bug report: "send software update"

PatientFool | 2019年2月13日

@vp09 it's your wifi connection that matters. do you connect to wifi at home?

itsjohn07 | 2019年2月14日

Have an 18 MS Dec build and received the update notification around 12:30am. Believe it's the sentry mode update. Haven't installed it yet though.

jordanrichard | 2019年2月14日

AIA304, you are forgetting that there are pre-AP cars.

Over the years, there have been times when I got an update within a few days of its release and other times it would take 3 weeks.

If the update is a major one, they roll it out slowly to see if there are any unintended glitches and create fixes for them before pushing the update out further.

EVRider | 2019年2月14日

@PatientFool: WiFi helps but it’s not required (except for map updates). That will change if Tesla starts charging for Premium Connectivity as they’ve said they would, but for now LTE works too.

AIA304 | 2019年2月14日

@jordan,
Did pre AP cars not have any telematics ? I have 2015 AP1....

jordanrichard | 2019年2月14日

Yes they do. I was just adding the pre-AP cars like mine (Mar. 2014 S85) to your list.

dougk71 | 2019年2月14日

Today I got an update for my Q4 2018 S100D. It's 2018.50 and seems as almost no change from 2018.48.

garyjtate | 2019年2月15日

“The newest update will be sent out to you. You should see this update come within the next 2 weeks or so. As batches of VIN numbers are selected for the update to go out, your vehicle will soon see this update.“

Just received this from Tesla

barrykmd | 2019年2月15日

JUst got notification of new software available. Uh oh.

barrykmd | 2019年2月16日

It's 50.6. haven't been out to the car since installation, so don't know what's new.

grins.va | 2019年2月16日

Just installed 50.6. Release notes indicate when you precondition you can adjust the temperature of the seats and turn on/off the steering wheel heater, if equipped. It also mentioned Romance Mode and Emissions Testin Mode. I believe these three items were in 48.12.1 so only tweaks.

grins.va | 2019年2月16日

Interesting this update version in 2019 is 2018.50.6 4ec03ed for my car.

EVRider | 2019年2月16日

@grins.va: The version number indicates when that update was built, in your case during week 50 of last year. The updates have to go through testing before they get released, so it's pretty common to get updates that were built a month or two before you get them.

TripleTrucker | 2019年2月17日

Been waiting for it, went out to car and hit wifi again to be sure it was connected. Later that evening, got the update. Not sure if it was coincidence or not. Same features show as last two updates, so I imagine it's all "under the hood" stuff.

grins.va | 2019年2月17日

@EVRider - thanks, although this is the first time in five years of updates that have crossed the "year" timeline. And a seven week delay is fairly long in my experience. Especially without an obvious change from 48.12.1. Just sayin. :-)

EVRider | 2019年2月17日

@grins.va: My Model S is still on 2018.49.20, so you’re ahead of me. Around the same time I got that update, our Model 3 got 50.6.