Forums

Screen keeps going blank while driving

Screen keeps going blank while driving

My screen keeps going blank while driving. It’s happened 3 times in a row already within a 10 min period. Nothing works after that but the car still runs. I have to manually hold down the two buttons and restart it. Anyone have this issue too? I should be on the latest software 2019.5.16

rishabh0428 | 2019年3月14日

bump

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年3月14日

You "should" be on or are you on .5.16?

In any case if the resets are not working then you should call service.

Carl Thompson | 2019年3月14日

Make a service appointment.

adrenalinejunkie | 2019年3月14日

I’ve had my screen reboot multiple times in the last day or so as well. I’m on 5.15

mos6507 | 2019年3月14日

And so it continues (one more for the road).

rishabh0428 | 2019年3月16日

I am on 2019.5.16 and it keeps rebooting while driving. Made a service appointment. Just scary when it happens while your driving

rishabh0428 | 2019年3月18日

Tech called me today said its a known issue and are working on a software update.

jimglas | 2019年3月19日

MOS! you are bask to spread your FUD!
How was vacation?

gbinesh | 2019年4月9日

Same here. Touch screen went blank while driving on autopilot. Brakes started to kick when I tried to accelerate. Not sure if it was because it sensed vehicle in front or was issue with the entire system. Scary

gbinesh | 2019年4月9日

A few weeks back the touch screen was flickering on start up . Did the reboot and it went away. Car was driving normally. Sort of pissed off that it happens in a car which is just 1 month old.

khendric24 | 2019年4月14日

It has now happened to me three times. Started after the last update. First and last time, it started when I was parked by showing that I had a rear door open when I didn't. Then, the screen goes black and reboots after about 5 minutes. The middle time, I was on the freeway and just activated the self-drive function. Car continued to drive itself without issue, but no signal lights and no guages of any kind. Again, reboot itself after about 5 minutes and worked normally after that. Very concerning.

khendric24 | 2019年4月14日

It has now happened to me three times. Started after the last update. First and last time, it started when I was parked by showing that I had a rear door open when I didn't. Then, the screen goes black and reboots after about 5 minutes. The middle time, I was on the freeway and just activated the self-drive function. Car continued to drive itself without issue, but no signal lights and no guages of any kind. Again, reboot itself after about 5 minutes and worked normally after that. Very concerning.

awhiting | 2019年4月14日

I too have had this happen twice while driving. The last time was yesterday while on a highway under Navigate on Autopilot. It went out and I lost the autopilot. And, my car veered left. Extremely dangerous. Tesla has to fix this major problem. I did several bug reports.

synon2000 | 2019年4月14日

It happened to me once when I just finished charging and about to start to drive, the screen went blank. So waited for a while (less than five minutes) and the screen came back on. Never happened to me during driving.

hlaiii | 2019年4月14日

Some of the text and the images were a little "off" yesterday, and I rebooted the system (I am on 2019.8.5). Subsequent to that restart, It has gone dark twice now, necessitating rebooting the system two more times.

starke49 | 2019年4月18日

Just happened to me also last night, made a funny buzzing sound, went blank while on side street , would not reboot until I pulled over and let it lock down. Did it again this morning to my wife.

Morethanthislife | 2019年4月18日

Two days ago, my screen started show some weird flashes every 10 seconds or so. Yesterday, it went away. Today, I was driving to work, and the screen began flashing all sorts of weird colors, and it showed that I was in park, with a picture of my car in park, flashing every second or two. Then it went completely dark as I was driving down the freeway. At least I could still drive, but my blinkers didn't work. Then I heard a beep and it rebooted. It is currently acting normal after that this morning, but that is QUITE UNNERVING. Not looking forward to any reoccurrences, but it sounds like you are all having the same issue as I.

SilverTrifecta | 2019年4月18日

Mine just did the screen reboot again this morning while my wife was driving on the freeway... 2019.8.5

Hoping to see the new software soon, she's not a fan of losing visibility of the screen stuff while going full speed on a freeway

neylus | 2019年4月18日

Mine started doing this and occasional no back-up camera as well, all started with 8.3.

Kathy Applebaum | 2019年4月18日

I made a service appt for it, Tesla texted me to ask for dates/times so they could send the logs to engineering and said it's a known software issue. They haven't gotten back to me on whether I should cancel the appointment. :\

Kathy Applebaum | 2019年4月18日

Oh, and reboot does make it go away for a day or so.

globalMan | 2019年4月18日

When I brought mine in for a major problem, Tesla (SC) told me that the unsolicited self reboot of the screen/monitor was a know problem, and Tesla was working hard to fix the problem.

Well, that was over 2 months ago.

humchin | 2019年5月2日

I'm on 2019.8.5. Had flicking when starting two nights ago. Reset and everything was ok for awhile. Yesterday screen when blank while driving. Reset again. Today screen when blank again while driving. Reset again. Hope this gets fixed soon.

dcinnh | 2019年5月3日

Funny and unnerving at the same time story. We were driving around doing several errands. On the way back home I was doing about 52 mph in a 50 zone and spot a cop on the side of the road. He was perfectly setup to catch speeders coming from the other direction. After I pass him I check my rear view mirror and notice that it looks like he is pinging me with his radar. Just at that moment, my screen goes blank. I am also currently on 2019.8.5 First time the screen has gone blank on me.

Tesla2018 | 2019年5月3日

I normally charge to 260 miles and then again when I get down to around 100 miles which is about 4 days later.stst
The last few days, I have been plugging in the car everyday after having only driven about 35 miles for the day. In the morning, when I unplug, the screen flashes. I did a reset and it fixed it. This morning the screen flickered and I left it alone and 5 minutes later it went blank and reset itself. This afternoon, it worked ok when I started the car and then it did an auto reset in the middle of driving.

Only things I did different was disconnrct my phone from LTE and connected to wireless at work since I reached my limit and am on slower LTE for afew more days. I also use the Waze site for Tesla and it asks me to click a button after it loafs to bring up the map. Would being connected to wifi.and then switching to LTE on the app or on the car cause a problem? There were also monsoon like rain and tornados today so does that confuse the sensors if you are driving since it might think the rain or hail is an object?

nick19 | 2019年5月6日

Screen goes beserk with random notifications. Delayed/No access to any functions even as basic as turn lights, reverse camera, side view mirrors etc. It happened a few times in the last week
1) Middle of autopilot. Screen goes blank and resets for no reason
2) Overnight charge starting to work. 10min drive no access to any controls. Couldnt even lock my car. Remotely locked it after 60mins from my phone
3) Other brief random freeze of screen with delayed functions

gsned57 | 2019年5月10日

my 2016 Model S is having the same issue ever since updating to 2019.12.1.1 last week. It also now seems to have to power on whenever i get in which is annoying to wait for the car to boot up before i can drive.

gsned57 | 2019年5月10日

my 2016 Model S is having the same issue ever since updating to 2019.12.1.1 last week. It also now seems to have to power on whenever i get in which is annoying to wait for the car to boot up before i can drive.

rjwhatley | 2019年5月10日

this make me scared to drive Screen going out while driving! while there is no other instrumentation...!

kadakn01 | 2019年8月12日

i had same issue last week on my 2019 model S while driving not on autopilot, just city driving and screen went blank, it came back on after a few minutes, but this in addition to having bluetooth connectivity lost and having to hold both steering wheel button to reset several times since i got the car 2 months ago. I also reset it due to navigation data being entered backwards, like the street address.

pilotsmith69 | 2019年9月3日

Hmmmm. I been having the same issue a lot the past two weeks

aamir.naqib | 2019年9月3日

I have the same issue since the recent update (2019.32). The car completely dies after it goes to sleep. When that happens, the app doesn't connect to the car. The screen is blank when I enter the car. The A/C and audio is off. I open/close the door a few times or reset the screen using two wheel buttons. It takes a few tries and the screen restarts and everything resumes back to normal. But this is happening every time now. Never while driving though.