Forums

Locking my charge session

Locking my charge session

I'll be getting a model 3 soon and with all the information i'm reading on, videos i've been watching and so fort, a question came to mind.

so i live in a condo and plan to get a charger installed yada yada. question is: If i plug in my model 3 and walk away (car locks), does the charge cable also lock in place as well? can someone else park their car next to mine, remove my charger, charger their car and then re connect the charger therefore leaving me with a bill for both charge sessions with my knowledge?

Carl Thompson | 2019年3月15日

"If i plug in my model 3 and walk away (car locks), does the charge cable also lock in place as well?"

Yes.

"can someone else park their car next to mine, remove my charger, charger their car and then re connect the charger therefore leaving me with a bill for both charge sessions with my knowledge?"

No.

The charge cable locks in place and stays locked until you unlock (or approach) the car.

Bighorn | 2019年3月15日

It it’s cold out, the cable will unlock when the charge is done and would be removable by anyone to use. This feature was implemented when charge cords were getting frozen in place by the solenoid.

lbowroom | 2019年3月15日

Good to think through all improbable scenarios. Another tesla owner seeing your charging cord, parking close to you, stealing your power ( BTW, you can monitor your car charging) and then plugging back in. I'm guessing your gas cap is locking so people don't siphon your gas overnight. Can't be too careful.

stevenmaifert | 2019年3月16日

The Owner's manual says "in cold ambient temperatures below 41° F (5° C), the charge port remains unlocked whenever the vehicle is not charging, even when Model 3 is locked." In those circumstances, the answer to the OP's question is Yes.

dalesmith1962 | 2019年3月16日

What type of connector are you having installed? A Tesla wall connector, a J1772 connector, or something else?

Bighorn | 2019年3月16日

@steven
Which question are you answering? :)
That’s what I explained when I saw a wrong answer.

kevin_rf | 2019年3月16日

Can I ask how you would get a bill for the second car? Assuming they have a commercial charger like a charge point, wouldn't it detect a different car was plugged in and change up the billing? Or am I thinking charge point is simpler than that?

Is the charger provided by the apartment complex or you?

kevin_rf | 2019年3月16日

Reread it, sorry, currently the Tesla Wall Connectors do not support a lock, meaning you would have to throw a breaker when not charging.

Some third party chargers and NEMA 14-50 enclosures do support locks. That may be a better option.

rob | 2019年3月16日

You can set the Tesla App to send you notifications when charging starts and stops

kevin_rf | 2019年3月16日

Also, if you use a charger with a J1772, only the adapter gets locked into the car. They can unplug from the adapter and swipe a few electrons.

Same goes for the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector. You can unplug the mobile connector from the adapter. While the mobile connector will stay locked in your car, they could use their own mobile connector to steal electrons with your plug.

A bigger problem would be, this takes hours, so you risk not having a full charge in the morning.

With the wall connector, the green led on the front panel can be disconnected and it will work fine. That way they won't see it is on, it charging at night.

stevenmaifert | 2019年3月16日

@Bighorn - You said if it's cold out. Cold is relative. I'm just adding the specifics with a quote from the manual and reinforcing that the cable can be removed even if the car is locked.

jamilworm | 2019年3月16日

In the cold weather situation described above, if they unplug from your car thenyour charge port will close. Once they have charged their car they wouldn't be able to re-open your port to plug back in. So they could still steal your power but they couldn't do it secretly.

white-shadow | 2020年1月22日

@Bighorn @stevenmaifert --- Do you know if there would be any temperature-related circumstances under which the car IS charging, but yet the cable remains unlocked? I'm at 26F and have this experience.

Bighorn | 2020年1月22日

@white-shadow
I know they introduced unlocking the cable under freezing conditions to keep it from getting stuck, but I can’t imagine that would be the case during active charging. I have not studied it though. When it’s unlocked, the light should be white. Active charging is flashing green. Have not heard of white showing during active charging. Why do you think this is the case?