Forums

FSD Transferable?

FSD Transferable?

I would like to have the full self driving capability at some point in the future.
However, if my car is totaled, the self driving feature adds no scrap value to the car since it’s a software feature.

I should get credit for my purchase of a replacement Tesla.

Also, the same credit should apply when I change vehicles, i.e., if I trade in my current car for a new one, no matter the model.

Proposal Summary:
Once I purchase the FSD software feature, it should follow me at no added cost on a new Tesla.

MJP.75D | 2019年3月16日

I’d support one (1) transfer or until FSD becomes a reality, whichever comes first.

SO | 2019年3月16日

Not transferable. Talk to your car insurance agent about compensation for FSD.

bill | 2019年3月16日

Easy solution, don't total your car!

TeslaTap.com | 2019年3月17日

So far, Tesla has been clear it becomes part of the car. That said, you'd be wise to not buy FSD until it offers some new utility. Still it would be cool if you at least had the option to transfer from an old car (i.e. disabled on that car) and moved to a new car. Tesla has zero incentive to allow this, but perhaps if there was a transfer fee. Nice to talk about such ideas, but I just don't see Tesla offering it.

As for a totalled car, it should be included in the value of the totaled car, but perhaps only if included when purchased new. The insurance company then owns AP/EAP/FSD. Often (always?) the totaled car is resold. Some new owner may fix it up and get those features, or the car is parted out, and the software option disappears into the either.

Less clear is if AP/EAP/FSD is added after purchase - and my guess is most insurance companies would not include it in the totaled value. Perhaps, before being destroyed, if you tell the insurance company you've added AP/EAP/FSD at a price of $X, they will raise the insurance rates to cover the new value of the car. My guess is few people will do this.

Yodrak. | 2019年3月17日

"Less clear is if AP/EAP/FSD is added after purchase - and my guess is most insurance companies would not include it in the totaled value. Perhaps, before being destroyed, if you tell the insurance company you've added AP/EAP/FSD at a price of $X, they will raise the insurance rates to cover the new value of the car."

Much to my surprise when I shopped for insurance for my Model S 75D last summer, two of the companies didn't care about what options were purchased with the car or what the car cost. To them, a Model S was a Model S, that's all they wanted to know. Maybe, despite Model S having been around for 6 years, they still didn't have enough experience with it to factor details into their rate calculations?

MJP.75D | 2019年3月17日

@TT “...Tesla has zero incentive to allow this...” Not sure I agree — incentive is for a current owner to have one less barrier to a potential upgrade (eg a new Tesla). A sale that might not happen otherwise, or that might otherwise be delayed, is the incentive for Tesla. Same applies to UFSC — my current cart has it; any new one that I (might) purchase will not...this will have the same effect of delaying any future purchase and thus, in my opinion, hurts Tesla. A bit of a stretch with regard to UFSC, perhaps, but a clear case can be drawn for allowing FSD to transfer as it has yet to be delivered in any usable form. Why penalize a loyal customer looking to upgrade to a new vehicle just because they “invested” in Tesla’s growth by purchasing FSD in advance of its actual viability?

EVRider | 2019年3月17日

The value of the car reflects whatever options you paid for, including FSD. To make FSD go with the owner, Tesla would need to change how they charge for FSD, for example using a subscription model. I don’t see any incentive for Tesla to do this, and the number of owners who wouldn’t upgrade because they don’t get to keep an option is probably very small.

Even though most people who have FUSC didn’t pay for it, it’s still reflected in the value of the car, even if you can’t put a dollar figure on it.

MJP.75D | 2019年3月17日

@EV — incentive for Tesla is clearly articulated in my post above. And I can put a dollar figure on FUSC, quite easily in fact. Agree to disagree.

NKYTA | 2019年3月17日

Why is this so hard?

No.

MJP.75D | 2019年3月17日

No one is trying to make things hard, NKYTA. I also clearly understand that Tesla’s [current] position is “no” as you’ve not-so-eloquently stated. The difference of opinion lies in the merits of this position. And it is just that—a difference of opinion. I recognize that there are many on this site that think Tesla can do no wrong however while I am a huge fan and a long time owner/referrer/supporter, I absolutely do no reside in this camp. That is all. It’s not hard. It’s actually quite easy. I understand your position, NKYTA, and you’re entitled to it just as I am entitled to mine. It’s really not that hard....next time, try a little common decency.

EVRider | 2019年3月18日

@MJP: It doesn’t matter if I agree with you, it only matters if Tesla does. Try making your case to them, maybe you’ll convince them to change something — you have nothing to lose by trying.

S75RedRidingHood | 2019年3月18日

As for insurance, it is the same as after purchase the option/upgrade, notify your insurance agent of the new added cost for your vehicle. Insurance company will adjust the premium accordingly and then your car will be covered with the new total value.

jjgunn | 2019年3月18日

Pretty sure it's tied to the VIN

EVRider | 2019年3月18日

@jjgunn: We know that. It helps if you read the topic before replying to it. :-)

p.c.mcavoy | 2019年3月19日

For those of you stating contact you're insurance agent and ask them to update the value of your car ... Have any of you ever done this? I'm skeptical it makes any difference.

My experience with car insurance is the only factor that matters is the VIN, not what I paid for the car, and not what options the car has. VIN doesn't tell you whether I have standard interior, premium, AP/EAP/FSD activated, pano roof, fancy wheels, premium paint, ludicrous mode enable, paid $7k extra for a full wrap and 18 layers of ceramic coating ... all factors that add to the cost of my car, but never an input into any insurance rate calculation which is based upon my VIN and the driving history of those listed on the policy.

Boonedocks | 2019年3月19日

For kicks I went out to the web sites that value used cars. Guess what....not a one of them had an option for FSD. One had EAP but no sign of FSD anywhere in valuing a used car.

EVRider | 2019年3月19日

@Boonedocks: I wouldn’t read too much into that. People who were planning to trade or sell their cars in the next couple of years probably wouldn’t have paid for FSD.

Boonedocks | 2019年3月19日

@EVRider do you include EAP in that statement as well? Only one of the myriad of sites has an option for EAP when valuing used cars.

Haggy | 2019年3月19日

An insurance company has to compensate you for what's lost. You'd be losing the entire value of the feature. It's software so it doesn't depreciate with age, and since you have the right (presumably, unless underwriting laws are different where you are) to ask them to find a replacement car, they can find the value of one with it, and if they can't, they can find the value of one without it with the understanding that it has an upgrade cost to give you that feature.

I had to go through it once when I had a rare combination of options on a vehicle and the insurance company didn't know how to value it. I sent them on a hunt for the closest thing and then told them to figure out what it would cost to get the seats replaced on top of that. They came up with a number.

EVRider | 2019年3月20日

@Boonedocks: I misread your previous reply to mean that you weren’t seeing any used Teslas with FSD. If the sites you checked are not Tesla-specific, I’m not surprised they omit Tesla-specific options, since they probably don’t update the options list very often. I still wouldn’t read too much into that.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年3月20日

I know a car's resale value highly discounts options. Normally options are valued at 50% of the new price, and then further discounted over time/miles. This is true on all cars - ICE and EVs.

Curious to see what Kelly Blue Book priced AutoPilot. Lot of variables, but on my 2016 S, it has a single option for "AutoPilot" in the used car evaluation option list. I paid $5,000 for EAP. Doing a few runs, it values AP at $1503 (30% drop) Did another test for Premium sound with XM, and the original $2500 option (at the time I bought the car) was valued at $524 (21%).

No plans to sell my car soon, but interesting data points. Not all that surprising. There is no FSD option yet, and I'm not sure they understand the difference between AP1, AP2, and EAP. But that's what it is today. You can play with your own car in thier calculator. Note that when you use "back" in the browser, all the options are reset to the default.