Forums

PSA: It's 11 o'clock. Do you know your tire pressures?

PSA: It's 11 o'clock. Do you know your tire pressures?

OK, not really 11 o'clock, but it sounded good.

As a bicyclist, I've gotten into the habit of checking my tires before every ride. So I do the same with the Tesla. I look at the TPMS readings as I start driving. Yesterday, one of the tires was 3 lbs low compared with the previous day. Took my ICE SUV just to be safe (it was time for its monthly drive, anyway), as I was driving to a remote area. Checked the pressure today when I got home and it was down another 3 lbs.

Went to the local Firestone and they found a screw in the tire and patched it for me. As we drive with no tire backup (still think it's a bad idea), IMO, it's a good idea to check the tire pressures daily before venturing out. It's easy enough to do.

mizunosan | 2019年4月9日

I check every day as well... but mostly because I run new construction plats as a site manager and it's so easy to pick up screws and nails! I

ST70 | 2019年4月9日

I always keep my tire pressure in my display....

rxlawdude | 2019年4月10日

Shouldn't this be a PSI rather than a PSA? ;-)

barrykmd | 2019年4月10日

Rx - you win. Let's call it a public service initiative :-) However, I was surprised not to see rivets mentioned.

MezzaLuna | 2019年4月10日

45 lbs cold, right? I've been surprised to see it get to 52 on steady, warm weather driving. What's the upper range for safety or performance? If planning for a long drive in hot weather, should the starting point be <45?

jfemd.va.us | 2019年4月10日

The 19" Michelins (Pilot Sport A/S 3+) I bought recently have a maximum inflation pressure of 51 PSI, so your tire pressure needs to be checked frequently, particularly as the temperatures warm up this time of year.

Silver2K | 2019年4月10日

Why would i check when the car would warm me when i get below 40?

rxlawdude | 2019年4月10日

@jfemd, that's 51psi cold.

jfemd.va.us | 2019年4月11日

51PSI cold is correct, but if you had the correct pressure (45PSI) during the winter, the pressure in the tire will be higher in the spring and summer as the temperature increases (1-2PSI increase per 10 degree F increase). You likely need to let out some air to maintain the correct pressure.

jfemd.va.us | 2019年4月11日

Anyone know if the TPMS gives a warning for too high pressure? I assume not.

grins.va | 2019年4月11日

And for those of us on 21" Michelins (staggered) the pressure is 42, cold.

pgkevet | 2019年4月11日

I've been thinking about this for a while and feel that the concept of pressure when cold is out of date and just for convenience pre tpms.
We all know race drivers wait for their tyres to reach temp (and therefore pressure) before drivng at max and that it's a complex mix of compound, pressure and temperature that gives the best performance.

Take yesterday as an example. I had my tyres at recommended 45psi at first tpms indication for the last month but yesterday morning it was particularly frosty and they read 42/43 but the rest of the day was sunny so at motorway speeds they stabiliased at 49psi all round. I stopped at a supercharger for lunch for an hour and at first reading when leaving the left side read 45 and the right side read 49 (the sunny side). They stabilised again at 49 all round.
That night I popped to local shops starting out with cold 44's and reaching only 45/46 in 3 miles, stop, shop and return 3 miles @ 46's.
The better ideal has to be ideal running pressures with a cold inflation starting point and perhaps different ideal running pressures winter and summer. long or short trips.
Just think what happens of you live somewhere really cold (say -15C) but garage the car and inflate to your target in there.

rxlawdude | 2019年4月11日

All I know is the standard of the industry. That's inflating to xx psi when tires haven't been driven on and are "cold."

lilbean | 2019年4月12日

The ranger put air in all eight tires. How nice!