Forums

Current S/X owners: Free Ludicrous?

Current S/X owners: Free Ludicrous?

Link https://electrek.co/2019/04/23/tesla-new-model-s-x-range-upgrade-drivetr...

Anyone trading in your current car & ordering the updated model with free ludicrous?

We also want to emphasize the critical impact each of our early Tesla owners has had on advancing our mission, so as a thank you, all existing Model S and Model X owners who wish to purchase a new Model S or Model X Performance car will get the Ludicrous Mode upgrade, a $20,000 value, at no additional charge.

inconel | 2019年4月24日

I would have preferred FUSC

Vawlkus | 2019年4月24日

I like what I have.

bp | 2019年4月24日

If they really wanted to encourage current S/X owners to purchase new vehicles, they should have offered something different than the free Ludicrous upgrade.

We have a 2017 S 100D and a 2018 X 100D. Due to the price decrease this year, both those vehicles took a hit in resale value, and while a replacement S/X would cost less - we're also getting less on the trade-in.

Since we didn't have performance versions - upgrading to ludicrous/performance reduces the increased range, and for normal use eliminates much of the benefit for upgrading.

Plus we would lose FUSC and the as-yet-unrealized benefit in purchasing FSD with both vehicles.

If Tesla really wanted to make this attractive to current S/X owners, what they should have done is allowed owners to transfer their FSD activation, extended warranty and FUSC over to purchasing any new S/X (including SR and LR), along with adding those vehicles to the Early Access list to get software updates earlier. And even with that, to get many owners to commit, they might also need to throw in something else.

lilbean | 2019年4月24日

No.

MyMXRed | 2019年4月24日

@BP, i completely agree with you, Ludicrous may not be for everyone. I have a 2018 75D and the radical changes have completely impacted the 2018 and prior models more worse for 2018. They should come up with some incentives than the free performance upgrade. This is again poor Tesla marketing strategies. In my case i have to shell out another $15K for the price difference in addition to the trade in depreciation. Wake up Tesla management !!!

Jesse K | 2019年4月24日

I think the nod was to "early" Tesla adopters. I have an early 2013 85. I have loved my car since the day I bought it and know I overpaid to have it when no one knew what Tesla even was. I was encouraged by this message and feel a $20,000 thank you 6.5 years later is something I never received from any of my other car brands owned. So for this early adopter who was in the market for an X this could not be better news. Just to offer a slightly different vantage point...

jordanrichard | 2019年4月24日

I am seriously surprised that no one started a thread about the huge increase in range.

jjgunn | 2019年4月24日

Hahahaha. How can @bp post & @lilbean post say they exact same thing.

I agree about keeping FUSC.

21,700 miles & I have used 7,723 kWh.

Since I live in CA, At an average of .25 per kW, I've already spent almost $2,000 in electricity cost w/o FUSC.

Ludicrous costs Tesla nothing to give it for "free". I already have a P3D if I want to feel the launch. So does @jimglas. 2.8 vs 3.2 seconds feels the same. $20,000?!?!? Hahahaha - hard pass

My current 100D is staying with me as long as possible unless they want to let us transfer FUSC & FSD. Those 2 items are much more valuable.

jimglas | 2019年4月24日

Although I don't use it much, Its not worth giving up FUSC for a little more speed and range

AxTrader | 2019年4月24日

Everything about the car depreciates except for FUSC. FSD and FUSC are appreciating assets that I want to hold onto as long as possible. They need to throw more incentives for me to trade in our 2017 MS100D and MX100D. I would consider buying a another car with ludricous if I didnt need to trade in our current cars.

ALKUTBI | 2019年4月24日

I order model x still waiting for the delivery next month can I cancel and order new one.

jjgunn | 2019年4月24日

Get some help from an Owner Adviser or manager of a Tesla Showroom.

I would most likely cancel & order a new one to get the new drivetrain & better range

benbfinell | 2019年4月24日

I agree that I wouldnt get rid of my X with free supercharging for this.

But if I happened to be in the market for a long range Model S, would I have to purchase the performance package in order to get free Ludicrous? Or could a normal long range model have Ludicrous added to it?

davidahn | 2019年4月25日

Tempting... I'd LOVE to trade my 2015 100D for a 2019 P100DL for just $109K; that's a killer deal, this car has NO rivals at any price. Sadly, I just bought a $120K MX 100D in December, probably won't be able to get DW to sign off on a $109K MS P100DL.

My MX $120K 100D configuration now costs $104K and has 10% more range. Awesome.

bp | 2019年4月25日

To get free Ludicrous, you have to order the Performance model - which negates most of the increased range.

An S 100D gets around 330 miles of rated range, with 4.2 sec 0-60 acceleration.

A new S LR gets around 370 miles of rated range, with 3.7 sec 0-60.

For an additional $11K, you can get an S Performance but reduce the range to 345 with 3.0 sec 0-60.

Adding the free Ludicrous option for the Performance model doesn't affect range, and reduces acceleration to 2.4 sec.

For most S/X owners, the 75/85/100 pack acceleration (without performance or ludicrous) is plenty fast - and not worth sacrificing range to get acceleration that you really can't use under normal driving conditions.

And for owners who've purchased S/X in the last few years, the hit we took on rapid depreciation due to this year's price increases makes it even harder to justify upgrading to a newer S/X right now.

Tesla - if you want us to buy S/X vehicles in this quarter - you need to sweeten the pot - and provide incentive to purchase the SR/LR models, not just the Performance model...

nipper2 | 2019年4月25日

No

William.leng | 2019年4月25日

I have been sad twice.since the last price cut.I only got my MX for 4 months.

khan_haroun | 2019年4月25日

Tesla is ignoring its original model X and Model S customers. Tesla provided free upgrade range to model 3 owners couple a months ago. I hope they can do the same for original customers who bought Model X and S. Tesla is forgetting their original royal customers.

mgombatz | 2019年4月25日

BP’s Assessment is accurate and very sound. I purchased my MS100 with the higher price at the end of February and took delivery March 2. Cancelling would have cost me my deposit for the lower price. Tesla refused a price adjustment. Though the performance S would be close to what was paid for MS originally, the depreciation, would lower the trade in as it would not compete with the current MS prices. Also, prices and technology seems so,unstable, it is a risk to move forward knowing that in a month prices could change again to increase the low demand for the MS. I am staying and being happy with what I have. Also want to stay married....

jjgunn | 2019年4月25日

@khan...

KHHAAAAAANNNN!

The previous S/X models have the 18650 batteries - the Model 3 have the 2170's developed with Panasonic.

So as you can see they are different physical hardware - I don't know if the 18650's can receive increased range with the current software. Maybe something innovative in the future would be nice if it happens.

nipper2 | 2019年4月26日

I just took delivery 4/12/19 lost out on the range increase and still don't have dash cam or sentry mode

jjgunn | 2019年4月26日

Always request firmware update before delivery.

2019.8.5 is current for MX - some folks have 2019.12 in the fleet

DashCam is there. You need to plugin a USB formatted Fat32

jimglas | 2019年4月26日

I installed 2019.12.1 last night

jjgunn | 2019年4月26日

Oh cool! We should all be getting it shortly

Link https://teslafi.com/firmware/

I see 149 getting it so far today - Friday is firmware update day!

nipper2 | 2019年4月27日

My 2019 is at 2019.5.17

packpike | 2019年4月28日

I’m thinking of trading in my May ‘18 75D for a new P100D with ludicrous but I’m thinking I’ll get killed in depreciation and that will offset any savings. We’ll see.

Teslamomtx | 2019年4月28日

The model S is supposedly receiving a 1-2 tenth reduction in 0-60 and 1/4 mile time with the new front motor. Tesla just needs to finish testing. 2.2 to 60mph would be even more nuts! Would also make the 1/4 mile time 10.5 consistently. I suspect Motor Trend will be publishing an article shortly.

alanvw | 2019年4月28日

I like all of the improvements to the refreshed X but Tesla is only offering $50K for my X 75D built in November 2016, Why do they need to make $15K on my car? How is that being fair to early adopters like us? There really is no incentive to getting the new X and will also lose free superchargering.

oldxcskiguy | 2019年4月29日

I hope that Tesla is reading this thread. I'd update my 2017 MX 100D to this version if they would transfer my advanced autopilot and fsd from my current car to the new car, especially if the new motor and suspension fixes the front vibration problem. I'm sure there are others would do the same.

sschaem | 2019年4月29日

@packpike You need to make a $2500 reservation to get the trade in price. So give it a go. (its fully refundable)
You can give Tesla a call and give your vin and all, but the best you get is an approximation that is completely off.

To give you an idea I just did this and my <2500 miles model X from late November 2018 had a trade in value of $80,000 less then my purchase price.

From this I can say that Tesla set a 55% depreciation rate for their car that are less then 6 month old and have under 2500 miles.

beaver | 2019年4月29日

Who actually uses Ludicrous mode? It sounds like a track only feature. Does anyone activate this then go “race” in the city? It sounds like a pretty useless feature to me. FUSC is way more valuable on a daily or annual basis.

jeffsutherland | 2019年4月29日

I am a Tesla S owner, owned 3 of them and just purchased yet another new Tesla S P100D last week and they didn't offer me a free upgrade. How can I get one?

Jesse K | 2019年4月30日

Back to the OP Question: Yes Ordered an X with LM but NOT trading in my early 2013 Model S. Really hoping I like the X more than I do the S, but in case not, I still have it.