Forums

Is a pointless feature, really a feature.........

Is a pointless feature, really a feature.........

A couple of weeks ago I got 2019.12.1.1 which amongst other things gave me the ability to change the language on the screen to any number of other languages as well as the nav voice to Spanish or Canadian French. This morning I got 2019.16.1.1 which now adds Swedish to the list of available languages.

Why? More to my point and thread title, I am in CT, not Sweden, or China, or Germany, etc. etc. If one is in the U.S., you understand English or at least enough to be functional. Are there that many Tesla owners in the U.S., that are new to the U.S. and really don't understand/read English, preferring to here their native language to create an update for?

So would one consider a pointless feature an actual feature?

Also somewhat related to the subject of pointless features, I now have the ability to received updates as soon as they are available. Why is this even a thing? Who doesn't want an update as soon as it is available?

ktslab | 2019年5月16日

International language doesn't bother me or affect the car. Let it be men.

I see the ability to receive updates as soon as they are available a positive thing since we can't do that in the past.

barrykmd | 2019年5月16日

The question is whether or not it's using a significant of the limited memory available. I'm assuming they are running short on storage, as why else would they have removed the nice colors from the UI and make it a low contrast gray blob?

Useless features are part of Musk's dog and pony show.

Re your question, "Who doesn't want an update as soon as it is available?"

I don't. Tesla's track record on updates over the last year has been poor, with more bugs (eg., press brake to power up) introduced than improvements.

jordanrichard | 2019年5月16日

I didn't say it bothered me to have the ability to have everything on my dash be in Cantonese. I am just posing the question that since even per the release notes, the updates one's car gets is based on one's region, is the "feature" of having everything in Cantonese here in the Northeast of the U.S. actually a feature when not needed.

Also, you are missing my point about the receiving of updates. Why do we have to say "yes, send me the updates ASAP"? Just send it ASAP. There is nothing to be gained by delaying it by selecting "Standard"

barrykmd, with regard to Elon's dog and pony show, more and more I agree with that sentiment.

Mathew98 | 2019年5月16日

It was a release to a global audience so it eliminated 50 different versions based on each local language. Look at it as streamlining a release versus dog and pony show.

Tessman | 2019年5月16日

jordanrichard...please understand that logic and coding are pretty universal in computer programming, the frontend language bears little affect/effect on the intended outcome of the program/software.

EVRider | 2019年5月16日

@jordanrichard: I think you’re missing barrykmd’s point about updates. Some people don’t want updates as soon as they’re available because they are sometimes buggy. You don’t have to install the updates, but if you don’t you get nagged about installing it.

Regarding the language support, I assume there was a use case that motivated Tesla to implement that, even if we don’t understand it.

AERODYNE | 2019年5月16日

Still sitting on the 50.6 fence.... where is it you can see or set the update preference mentioned?

redacted | 2019年5月16日

When the world revolves around YOU, a feature you don't use isn't a feature. I can't imagine anybody in the world wanting to have Spanish or Swedish on their screen.

@barrykmd, you must have a lot more problems with your car than I have with mine. I'm happy to have dash cam, sentry mode, and fireplace.

booshtukka | 2019年5月16日

Translation: I'm in American and speak US English, so I don't care about anyone else.

What a ridiculous question. Teslas are driven all over the world. Supporting more and more countries and locales in their native language is an obvious and sensible thing to do to support and build a growing business. I know your World Series considers the US to be the entire world, but it turns out there are entire other cultures out there, none of whom complain about English being a non-feature. English isn't even the most popular language on the globe. Get over yourself!

Mathew98 | 2019年5月16日

Dude, it's not true. The World Series includes Canada too! By world we mean North America...

;(

Mathew98 | 2019年5月16日

And referring to the best president ever, he meant it's the dumbest mofo these old wrinkly racists could display in front of the idiot tubes.

rsrivast | 2019年5月16日

Language, metrics, time / calendar, temperature etc should be based on region and set automatically. Although there is no downside of languages.

EVRider | 2019年5月16日

@AERODYNE: The update preference was introduced in 2019.16, which has just started rolling out. 2018.50.6 is ancient at this point. :-)

booshtukka, since you don't me, don't presume to know what I think. The tone of my question is clearly gotten lost in translation. This question is not specifically about the language options, it is more about identifying something as a feature, when it has no use. Let me put it another way, is the capability to mount snow skis on a car in Hawaii really something one would calla a feature of the car?
Let me be more specific, you walk into an Audi dealer in Hawaii and the sales person starts rambling on about the Quattro system and how great is in the snow. Would you consider that a feature, in Hawaii?

Also, as I said, even Tesla says that updates are influence by what region one is in. So, when I got 2019.12.1.1 and got the ability of hearing Canadian French, that actually made sense because Canada is all of just 6 hours away.

SoCal Buzz | 2019年5月16日

PS - most every release has bug fixes, tweaks and other refinements we never hear about in the notes, regardless of what Tesla decides to highlight as changes. Picking and choosing what you want to install is futile at some point, given Tesla needs to move the total install base along at a reasonable pace to avoid regression / retesting old firmware.

sentabo | 2019年5月16日

jordanrichard, admit it, you just don't like the Swedes. :)

Sentabo, you got me...... :-).

reed_lewis | 2019年5月16日

Actually I will say that on top of Muana Kea in Hawaii, it sometimes does snow, so all wheel drive is useful there. But I digress....

jlhm | 2019年5月16日

As a Swede living in US I find this thread funny :-)

Tropopause | 2019年5月16日

Teslas overseas can change these language settings. I've been asking for this ability for US versions for awhile now. My wife and I were very excited to get this new language update. OTOH I have a P100D and could NOT care less about CHILL Mode. Who uses it and why? Get where I'm going, Jordan?

DRFLGD | 2019年5月16日

So 16 allows you to download FW updates as soon as they're available? Finally!

PBEndo | 2019年5月16日

This thread makes me wonder if a featureless point is really a point.

the.hulk | 2019年5月16日

I recently realized that cabin overheat protection is only active when the alarm / sentry mode is off. So basically overheat protection is never active.

Why link these features together??!?!!?!??

carlk | 2019年5月16日

Pointless is name of this thread.

Anthony J. Parisio | 2019年5月17日

booshtukka + 1! Tesla is an American made car sold throughout the world. This great for our economy! It is only natural to make it easier for customers to use the car. It makes more sales! To me this is a very self centered small minded post. Glad to see the people at Tesla are broad minded people doing their best to meet the needs of ALL the customers.

carlk | 2019年5月17日

~20% of people in the world speak English but only ~5% are native English speakers. Meaning at least 95% of worlds population use a language other than English.

As for those who would not miss a small opportunity to criticize Tesla here is the Teddy Roosevelt qoute the man in the arena I posted elsewhere on the forum already. @barrykmd I do it again here just for you since you apprarently have missed it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."