Forums

Sorry, but Sentry still needs some work...

Sorry, but Sentry still needs some work...

I just picked up my car from airport parking and I saw 30+ Sentry events including an Alert on the screen... (5 days parking). The car was fine.
Got home and the USB stick was warm at touch and dead. It’s a 128GB drive purchased and used daily for 3+ months...
I’ll call Tesla tomorrow to see if they can recover the “Alert” footage from their servers.
But, so far, long term Sentry usage seems to have fried my USB drive. I’m on 12.1.2.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年5月19日

Is it possible you had a bad drive and it was not the car's fault it fried?

Passion2Fly | 2019年5月19日

It’s possible... but it failed at the worst possible time... the USB drive was warm at touch... I’m not so sure about pure coincidence...

It is a bummer that you would automatically blame TESLA.

Passion2Fly | 2019年5月19日

If Tesla can recover the Sentry Alarm State footage, it’s all good! It means that the system is “fail safe”...
Otherwise, please provide us (Tesla) with “approved” USB drives for Sentry. The same way that BlackVue sells microSD cards certified for their products...

Again, I’m only complaining because the system failed at the worst possible time...

I understand the complaint but I think you are being unfair with the blame.

Publish exact make and spec of your drive and do some data seeking.

Hp.1193 | 2019年5月19日

I had a 128gb from amazon (excellent reviews) that died in about 2 weeks. My 32gb (thats like 4 years old) however has not had a problem ever since Sentry was introduced..

apodbdrs | 2019年5月19日

There are some real bad USB conterfeits being sold online! Read the reviews, sometimes they help, but use caution when you see a significant positive reviews with the same date, they are bogus. I certainly have been burned on a couple of items I bought on Amazon. I agree with M&8, don't be so quick to blame TESLA.

Hp.1193 | 2019年5月19日

Just installed a new a 128gb WD from Best Buy so will see how long it lasts.

Passion2Fly | 2019年5月19日

I got this one and it failed after a few months following a Sentry Alert State:

128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, Techkey F90 Pen Drive High Speed Thumb Drive Capless Pendrive Retractable USB Memory Stick Shock Resistant Jump Drive Compact Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JW5TPCV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2Ny4CbSQPCAS6

5% of the reviews on that drive are negative, read those reviews.

keydel | 2019年5月19日

Recommendation: buy a “name brand” drive like SanDisk, Kingston, or Samsung; generic flash drives are notoriously prone to failure. For more on buying flash drives, I recommend the following article from The Wirecutter:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-usb-3-0-thumb-drive/

Passion2Fly | 2019年5月19日

@keydel
Awesome! Thanks!

Tronguy | 2019年5月19日

@M*B: Agreed. And I'd go further. My opinion: Anybody who buys small-to-medium value electronics on Amazon, in particular, has a high probability of getting fraudulent goods in return.
Amazon allows $RANDOM vendors to self-advertise themselves as the manufacturer of whatever they're selling. So, you'll look at something that says SanDisk, and what you're actually getting is horse droppings. Further, Amazon either doesn't vet fraudulent vendors, or their procedures work out to be a revolving door for frauds, who will drop their entry under one name and simply come back up under another. Most of the frauds seem to come from China; they tend to put legitimate vendors out of business by putting up horse dropping knock-offs and claiming that they, the fraudulent vendor, are the original vendor. Finally, the frauds actually compete with each other by cross-claiming that other frauds are frauds, and down the rabbit hole one goes. The whole business is much worse than a flea market.
In terms of USB sticks, this is one place where walking into a brick-and-mortar is always a better bet. It's very unlikely that a Walmart or Staples will put up crap components for sale. I'd offhand guess that NewEgg would also be a safer spot for mail order, but I've seen what looks like Chinese vendors there, too.

EVRider | 2019年5月19日

I don't think Tesla is uploading any video from Sentry Mode, so you're stuck with whatever you can recover from the USB. It's not unusual for USBs to be warm while inserted in the port -- one of mine gets pretty hot.

The most important thing to remember is that you must pause dashcam recording, and wait 20+ seconds for good measure, before removing the USB, otherwise you risk data corruption.

ODWms | 2019年5月19日

Amazon.com: Lexar Professional 633x 128GB SDXC UHS-I Card: Computers & Accessories

I’ve been using this card,

Amazon.com: Lexar Professional 633x 128GB SDXC UHS-I Card: Computers & Accessories

plugged into this reader:

Amazon.com: Card Reader,BOMAX SD Micro Card Reader Portable SD Card Reader Tf Card Reader & USB C Micro SD Card Adapter for Computer iPhone iPad GALAXY S8 Android Mac,Micro USB 3.0 Connector: Computers & Accessories

Haven’t had a single problem.

johnw | 2019年5月19日

@evrider tesla says it is uploading but I suspect it is only if the alarm is triggered

Passion2Fly | 2019年5月19日

@ODWms
What I like about separating the memory from the USB controller is that you can see which one failed!
The integrated USB sticks have both memory and controller on the same board. If one fails, the whole thing is ruined.
In my case, after professional diagnostics, the USB controller failed (not recognized by the PC). However, I can’t access the memory chip anymore. I wish I had both separated the way you suggest...

Passion2Fly | 2019年5月19日

@ODWms
What I like about separating the memory from the USB controller is that you can see which one failed!
The integrated USB sticks have both memory and controller on the same board. If one fails, the whole thing is ruined.
In my case, after professional diagnostics, the USB controller failed (not recognized by the PC). However, I can’t access the memory chip anymore. I wish I had both separated the way you suggest...

Passion2Fly | 2019年5月19日

@johnw
The Alarm was triggered. I will contact them tomorrow and see if they back it up on their servers...

EVRider | 2019年5月19日

@johw: I've heard different things about Tesla uploading Sentry Mode video. For example, 2019.12 introduced Sentry Mode to HW2 cars, though recording video on USB requires HW2.5 or later (which all Model 3's have); at first Tesla said that Sentry Mode would record and upload video in HW2 cars even though they couldn't record video locally, but then they said HW2 cars would get no video recording anywhere, just the alarm.

So, at this point, I wouldn't count on Tesla getting uploaded video unless someone can prove otherwise.

howard | 2019年5月19日

When you get back to the car and you have an alarm event it should display immediately to the screen. Then if you need to report the damage you can call the police and show them the event where you are parked before leaving. Waiting to get home to review to determine who backed into your front bumper does not do much good to me. Wonder if the police will still write a summons hours later from your home/office or you are on your own with the other parties insurance.

Hal Fisher | 2019年5月19日

Odd, I just posted a similar posting about my issue.
My issue was my car displayed an alert on my screen (small inside the left frame where the image of the car in it's lane is). The part of the video that might have been the event was missing, there was only a 8 second video of a car pulling up next to me. The next video was of me walking up to the car on the left. I pressed the recording icon to ensure it would save what ever it could. I am swapping out that ScanDisk 64 gb for a pny 128 gb and seeing if that captures correctly. I'll have to fake it this time to test.

Hal Fisher | 2019年5月19日

Howard, your statement is rather odd. You state 'it should display immediately...'. Does your use of 'should' mean it does display, or only that's what you wish it would do?

howard | 2019年5月19日

Hi Hal,

Since it does not I wish it would or I think it should. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Hal Fisher | 2019年5月19日

Yeah, that would be awesome. I’ll have to keep something in my car that allows instant play back.

LoveMyM3 | 2019年5月19日

Reading above I decided to take out my USB drive and check it if indeed it is recording. It is a Samsung BAR Plus 32GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Champagne Silver (MUF-32BE3/AM)
So I see two folders in it - SAVED CLIPS and has several subfolders in there with each having a few recordings of the front, right and left cameras while we were parked and had the sentry mode enabled. No issues here. The second one was RECENT CLIPS and had 3 unusable iKB files. Not sure what these were from. But I do not see any recording of dash cam at all while the car was moving!!! This surprises me, I always had the red dot on it for the last 3 months. I did press on it before taking the drive out until it was greyed out. Not sure why the dash cam is not recording. It has recorded for me in the past and that is how we caught a burglar who was in our house once while we drove in.

howard | 2019年5月19日

Hal, Wonder if this works. I think I'll go by the Apple Store to confirm.

www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

LoveMyM3 | 2019年5月19日

Reading above I decided to take out my USB drive and check it if indeed it is recording. It is a Samsung BAR Plus 32GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Champagne Silver (MUF-32BE3/AM)
So I see two folders in it - SAVED CLIPS and has several subfolders in there with each having a few recordings of the front, right and left cameras while we were parked and had the sentry mode enabled. No issues here. The second one was RECENT CLIPS and had 3 unusable iKB files. Not sure what these were from. But I do not see any recording of dash cam at all while the car was moving!!! This surprises me, I always had the red dot on it for the last 3 months. I did press on it before taking the drive out until it was greyed out. Not sure why the dash cam is not recording. It has recorded for me in the past and that is how we caught a burglar who was in our house once while we drove in.

EVRider | 2019年5月19日

@howard: I looked into the Apple adapter you referenced and read reviews. It might not support Tesla dashcam and Sentry Mode videos because they’re not in the expected folder structure. Besides that it displays everything in the iOS Photos app so you can’t browse.

I used Sentry Mode in my Model S for the first time today, and there was one event when I got back to the car. After looking at the video, it turns out the event was my wife and I approaching the car. I assume this is because I have auto unlock disabled, so Sentry Mode was still in effect until I unlocked the car.

howard | 2019年5月19日

EVrider, thanks for the info. Maybe buy some used something ?? to throw in the frunk incase it needs to be read immediately. That is if it works.

Resist | 2019年5月19日

I'm having an issue where many of my dash cam videos are being saved in the saved clips folder, even when Sentry Mode is off. And nothing should be in that folder unless Sentry Mode records it or I manually save video by pressing the dash cam icon.

LoveMyM3 | 2019年5月20日

So I decided to restart fresh again. Reformatted my USB flash drive (32GB Samsung) and put it in the car. Got the red dot icon. Also turned sentry mode on when I parked at one place. Came back and paused recording, removed the drive to check on the computer. The SAVED CLIPS folder has the Sentry recording as expected. But the RECENT CLIPS folder has one or two files of 1KB and nothing useful. This all was working before. Still gets the red dot when I put back the drive in the car. Any help or ideas? Just Dash Cam is not recording in the Recent Clips for 60 minutes. It does correctly save the last 10 minutes if any and the Sentry Clips in the Saved Clips folder.

Techy James | 2019年5月20日

@Passion2Fly considering you said USB was warm to touch and it was left in Airport parking lot, this is usually in sun, and unless you had Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) turned on it's possible the inside of the car got hot enough to be outside the USB operating temperature. Granted with it being 5 day's COP might have ran the battery down to 20% at which time Sentry and COP would cut off.

markr7 | 2019年5月20日

It's perfectly normal for a USB drive to be warm to very warm; They don't have heat sinks to dissipate heat & because they are so small they will naturally get warm, especially after writing large chunks of video data.

Joshan | 2019年5月20日

like most threads here, the post is fine but the Name is crap. yes, because your drive went bad and was warm, sentry mode obvious needs work.

rkalbiarEV | 2019年5月20日

Yeah, it definitely needs work but I have no doubt it will get better!

legna_fo_htaed | 2019年5月20日

Sentry mode and the dash cam in general have NEVER worked for me. About to forget it's even a feature at this point.

jokerandthief | 2019年5月21日

Hal, I’ve been having the same issue as you. I have Sentry occurrences but when I go back to check the footage, where I think the occurrence is, the clip is shorter or something is missing. For example. I’ll see a few seconds of a car pulling in and then I never see the clip of the driver leaving there car. This past weekend I was in a restaurant parking lot, had 48 occurrences and did not see one reason why it was set off. I have seen a few similar comments elsewhere. I hope this is fixed with the new update.

RadOne | 2019年5月21日

All the fanbois and hobbyists on this forum accept these issues and idiosyncrasies, but the average owner will just stop using it.

derotam | 2019年5月21日

@Passion2Fly... my theory... temperature temperature temperature... What is the operating temperature spec for your thumb drive. I ask because over 5 days of your vehicle sitting outside, obviously and depending on where you live, the temperature in the vehicle can get very hot and could exceed the operating spec of the thumb drive, which is not automotive rated.

ODWms | 2019年5月21日

For the most part the systems have been working fine for me. In the beginning I had a couple of occurrences of issues related to the (cheap) thumb drive I was using. Once I got a good card and reader, they've been great, and work every time I use them.

jithesh | 2019年5月21日

I have owned many USB drives from SanDisk, Transcend, Patriot, Silicon Power and Microcenter. All the drives except MicroCenter gave me issues. They were not reliable. MicroCenter has been very reliable for 5 years now. But I can bet there must be some people who bought MicroCenter and had negative experience.

So I say there is no USB drive manufacturer who makes 100% reliable USB drives. They always have some % of drives that fail and those can fall into Tesla Owners hands as well, just your bad luck.

I am not saying that there is no failure in the car, because the car is also mostly electronics and can fail for some % of people. But the more cost effective thing to do is try a different USB drive.

@howard I have tried this particular adapter and it doesn't work. As per Apple it will only work with devices which are self-powered.

Passion2Fly | 2019年5月21日

@derotam
The car was parked inside a parking structure. Temperature readings between 61F-65F... I checked on the car frequently...

One request for Tesla: given the high rates of failures of USB drives, please! Check the drive’s integrity and send us a warning if the drive fails!

On my side, I just purchased a SanDisk Extreme SD card rated for high temperatures and an SD card reader... if the USB controller fails (the card reader) I would still get a chance to recover the data...

Just fyi, the BlackVue dash cam is installed directly on the windshield and it’s burning hot on a daily basis... I have no problems with the BlackVue approved SD card... granted, It’s $120 for a 128GB...

EVRider | 2019年5月21日

Another Sentry Mode glitch (in my Model S): When I returned to my car in parking lot yesterday, there were 2 or 3 Sentry Mode events displayed. I pulled the USB after I got home (after pausing recording and waiting), but there were no Sentry Mode recordings from yesterday, though the recordings from the day before were still there.

EVRider | 2019年5月21日

@Passion2Fly: Let us know how the SanDisk SD works out. I was watching a YouTube video yesterday (https://youtu.be/T9ywKebwnJ0) about someone using a similar SanDisk SD for their Model 3 dashcam, with a USB reader that can plug into an iOS device which can be used to view the footage.

Another solution I've been looking at is the SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive (https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpand-iPhone-Silver-SDIX30C-128G-GN6NE...). Based on the reviews, some people have gotten it to work for their Tesla dashcam footage, others haven't.