Forums

How long for an email to be added to Tesla account

How long for an email to be added to Tesla account

I followed the instructions in the FAQ https://www.tesla.com/support/tesla-app about adding my spouses email address to my account. What is the turnaround time for something like that? I thought it would be done in 24 hours or less, but its been 3 business and 2 weekend days so far? It says you have to email in. New to all this and want the extra email address on my account as a back up.

Thanks
/A

lilbean | 2019年5月20日

I didn't think you could have more than one email address on an account.

jd4714 | 2019年5月20日

Web site says 3-5 business days, I had my account added to my wife’s car last week and it took 7 business days. I wanted to have access to both our cars without having to log out of my account then log in to hers. Works great!

Andy_W | 2019年5月20日

Nevermind, I see now its 3-5 business day, to add an email to an account. - Sorry

rdh37 | 2019年5月21日

By coincidence, I just sent the required email to Tesla customer support last night. I did not see the 3-5 business day part so I am glad to know that. The funny thing is I stopped by my local store last night to ask about this. First person stated that it could not be done. Told her it could be done and then spoke to the store manager (who I know from previous visits). He was unaware of this as well but he researched and found the information on the website and provided it to me. Will wait the 5 business days and then follow up if it is not done by then. I will further let him know the result per his request. The solution originally suggested to log into multiple devices with one account fails for a couple of reasons;

1. Never share accounts and or passwords - infosec 101.
2. Posting to forums should be done under your name and not as someone else. Doing so may even violate the forum terms of service.

Have a nice day.

EVRider | 2019年5月21日

The second e-mail address is a separate account linked to your car, not really a second address for the same account. For example, I have two cars in my account, a Model S and Model 3, and I added a second account to the Model 3 for my wife, since that’s her car.

rdh37 | 2019年5月21日

Yes, EVRider is correct. Since my wife and I both drive the car we want two accounts with the car linked to both. I find it strange that a "technology company" uses such an archaic method to do this. The "primary" account should be able to add and remove other accounts with no action needed by Tesla. Then again, there should be at least 2 factor authentication for the app but...I have said it before, what Tesla does right, they do amazingly right. What they do wrong is very wrong. Final comment, my model 3 is amazingly right. Have a nice day.

sixstring09 | 2019年5月21日

It took almost two weeks to get added as of two months ago.

rdh37 | 2019年5月21日

I will post my result when it happens. For the "record", I sent the email request last night, Monday, 5/20.

CharleyBC | 2019年5月21日

What am I missing here? Just before we picked up our car in July, we set up a Tesla account for my wife. (I’d already had one since the day-2 reservation.) We thought we’d need that for our phone keys. But the delivery guy told us that was wrong, and so my wife logs into her Tesla app using my credentials.

So what does adding her email to my account do for us that we don’t already have? I’m not being argumentative; I just don’t understand.

andy.connor.e | 2019年5月21日

If you sent the email last night, then the clock starts Today, 5/21.

EVRider | 2019年5月21日

@CharleyBC: With a separate account, you wife you can use her own credentials and contribute to this forum using her own username.

terminator9 | 2019年5月21日

I had my wife added in September. Took about a month then.

terminator9 | 2019年5月21日

For those that are asking, two people using the same username, password is not a good security practice. It's like you and you spouse have have the same email account and password. It could be but is not considered industry standard.