Forums

Some kid in a fast looking, very loud mustang revved is engine next to me at a stop sign today

Some kid in a fast looking, very loud mustang revved is engine next to me at a stop sign today

I didn't

Mike UpNorth | 2019年6月5日

I can't wait for this to happen to me......

Mike UpNorth | 2019年6月5日

Cause I will...

lbowroom | 2019年6月5日

They usually turn off into the next street or driveway to avoid the shame of pulling up again at the next light.

cmh95628 | 2019年6月5日

I had a similar thing happen to me about a month ago, but I was behind him at a light, both of us turning left. He did not like me passing him (after the turn) so he gunned it. I still passed him. Turns out he lives on my street! I have seen him about three or four times since. We have a similar commute and leave around the same time in the morning.

BuffaloBillsFan | 2019年6月5日

You should have! That lets the gas guzzlers know that they have inferior cars whose days are numbered . . . I revel in making Mustangs look slow and clunky!

That said, Mustang was my second choice next to my new M3. I do love a manual transmission, and I still miss shifting gears.

ODWms | 2019年6月5日

Funny. I rarely, if ever, have anyone even look my way in this car. Now, in the Volvo, they give me plenty of attention. Lol!!!!

hokiegir1 | 2019年6月5日

I do it every time. And usually barely make it above the speed limit before they back off.

alfred143 | 2019年6月5日

Maybe he needed to pee... :)

Sslnight | 2019年6月5日

“No more mustangs”... i keep telling myself in similar situations... after i gun it... ... lol!

vmulla | 2019年6月5日

I was visiting reheboth beach this memorial day weekend. A teenager who is barely driving age got a blue shelby?(It' much more aggressive looking than a mustang). His friends were flocked around and they were having innocent fun revving the engine in a parking lot. I parked a few spots away. The kids were immediately excited, asked me if I'd race. One kid replied, 'didn't you see the videos?'

I said my car is just the rwd - not as fast as the ones they're taking about, but it's still very capable.

Another kid asked me what I thought about the gas car. I told him I'm glad he was asking, and that it's necessary to understand gas cars to really appreciate electric cars. Finally, because he's asking the question I know he's already a future EV customer :)

Kids get it! I don't think there would be that many kids looking to race a Tesla.

Also, It was really fun to re-live that age with the kids.

ODWms | 2019年6月6日

It really is fun talking with the kids about it. It does seem they all know about it, even more than I do in some cases.

Garyeop | 2019年6月6日

I actually think I hurt the feelings of a new audi driver. Temp tags. Had to be an $80k car. On ramp to the highway has 2 long lanes. Poor guy.

neilhamrin | 2019年6月6日

sometimes I give in and find myself wanting to shout out-so much noise, you'd think it would be quicker. My P3 is so nice to drive.

NEKEV | 2019年6月6日

Kids are definitely tuning in to the EV thing. I live in a rural area where, historically, the bigger and louder the truck, the cooler, and trucks still dominate the parking lots. My M3 is the talk of my daughters elementary school and more than one kid has come up to us in the parking lot to check it out. I think a generational shift is underway.

jamespompi | 2019年6月6日

I smoked an SS camaro that wanted to race the other day and I only have the LR RWD. Felt great, but now I want a P3D so theres no contest for most.

TickTock | 2019年6月6日

Agree. Kids aren't born with the baggage we adults carry. They in many ways are the most objective among us. I have racer friends who would never buy a Tesla (and constantly make passive-aggressive jabs at me for having one) but complain about how much their kids are in love with them.

jimglas | 2019年6月6日

I dont think I have ever "floored" my P3D. I hit the speed limit before its half way down.
Someday on a dark desert highway I will give it a try.

TabascoGuy | 2019年6月6日

@jim, just make sure to crack the window a bit so you can feel the cool wind in your hair.

hokiegir1 | 2019年6月6日

@jim - and do NOT check in to the hotel you see.

SalisburySam | 2019年6月6日

@hokiegir1, you made my morning with that reference and warning! Thanks for the laugh.

neylus | 2019年6月6日

Yes, "drive-by ICE tantrums" as I have dubbed them. This actually happens to me quite a bit. Of course, they are usually heading the other direction when they have them.

legna_fo_htaed | 2019年6月6日

I live in an area where there is 2 kinds of people. Those who straight pipe their 2004 Accords and think they can go super fast because they're loud. And those who drive high end Jaguars and Mercedes Benz. Fair to say after one month of ownership the few Teslas that are here run the roads.

hokiegir1 | 2019年6月6日

@Sam - No problem! I had a pretty good setup by @jim and @TG, though, so I can't take all the credit. :)

jimglas | 2019年6月6日

Well done TG and hokiegir1

AWDTesla | 2019年6月6日

Hopefully you own a performance. Any other and that 5.0 is taking your doors.

All day long.

kevin_rf | 2019年6月6日

My father was surprised no one has ever pulled up next to me and rev'd it.

Of course, if I ever let him drive it, it's staying in chill...

kallian | 2019年6月6日

No point in racing with barney.

82bert | 2019年6月6日

@AWDTesla. I could be wrong, but most mustangs have a slower 0-60 than regular Dual Motor 3. Not to mention how much less skill is involved with getting the 3 off the line.

nylon | 2019年6月6日

If it happens to me, I'll just look ignore them.

inconel | 2019年6月6日

Last weekend we ended up in our P100D side by side pole position with a Ferrari 488 at a red light. The Ferrari driver was already upset because we were behind him at the previous light but moved to the left to overtake so he was gunning his loud engine when unfortunately for him the next traffic light turned red and we ended up pole position side by side. Poor him when that light turned green...

AWDTesla | 2019年6月6日

82bert, New mustang gt without comp pckg does 1/4 mile in mid 12s, with package, 12 flat. Only the p model model 3 will give the mustang a "spanking"

82bert | 2019年6月6日

I see what you’re saying, but looking it up, it appears only the 2018 and later. No year before really.

82bert | 2019年6月6日

And the difference may be overcome with how much easier it is to get off the line in a 3 vs the ICE.

kallian | 2019年6月6日

@inconel, would love to see the camera footage of that!

jimglas | 2019年6月6日

Yes, it’s a P3D
Got it for the FUSC
and for fun

jjgunn | 2019年6月6日

Smert

AWDTesla | 2019年6月7日

Modern ICE cars with their traction control are unbelievably easy to launch.

HighlandPony | 2019年6月7日

Reference material on how easy it is to launch an ICE car. Be sure to read the manual before you get to the track.

https://youtu.be/7DeFkX2F-QI

Joshan | 2019年6月7日

not sure about a quarter mile. Most "streeet red light races" end WAY before a quarter mile.

wiboater4 | 2019年6月7日

I rev my model 3 at the lights all the time but nobody ever pay's attention :-)

alexomid83 | 2019年6月7日

A very loud Dodge Charger did the same to me and my fast and furious side-persona took over. I floored it at the green light. He was definitely pushing his car as hard as it could go because it was very loud and I smoked him. And I don't even have the performance version, just a lowly Standard Range Plus. God I love this car lol.

M3BlueGeorgia | 2019年6月7日

@AWDTesla

That's not quite true. What matters at most traffic lights is 0 -40, and you'll already be a couple of car lengths ahead by the time the ICE gets going.

The quarter mile and the 0-60 times quoted by ICE manufacturers is for a highly rev'ed engine and an experienced driver letting it launch. They aren't achievable by a typical driver on the street.

kevin_rf | 2019年6月7日

The only launch control an ICE will ever need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48cfZxCOoQ

AWDTesla | 2019年6月8日

M3BlueGeorgia, you've obviously havent driven a newer muscle/high performance car. They launch just as easily as an electric car. All day long. Launch control is a blast, especially in the Audi R8. Sure you guys might win from light to light (barely) but in an actual real drag race, only the p model 3 will win against a new mustang 5.0. Race one on the hwy and the regular model 3s are even more disadvantaged.

Joshan, I've never used a cars street racing cred to see how it performed. I drag race at drag strips. That's get me real numbers that tell me it's real performance and like I said, other than the p model 3, the newer mustang 5.0 will spank every other model 3. And no, the driver doesnt have to be Don Garlits to properly launch one.

jjgunn | 2019年6月8日

Here ya go....

Link https://www.cars.com/articles/can-the-2018-ford-mustang-gt-really-do-a-s...

Not sure about the 2019 version -- but they squeezed out 3.99 in the 2018 Mustang. Not bad for Detroit power

joe.lynn.atp | 2019年6月8日

Motortrend puts the AWD M3 in the same neighborhood off the start: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/2018-tesla-model-3-lo...

tps | 2019年6月8日

Interesting. The Motor Trend article is the third article I've seen that shows the tested 0-60 time for an AWD ahead of the official Tesla published time.

Assuming they're correct, that puts the AWD ahead of almost every Mustang on this list:

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/ford-0-60-mph-times/

kevin_rf | 2019年6月8日

Funny story, a co-worker was bragging about his new Mustang. So I asked the usual sports car question of how many horses under the hood. 310hp came back... Back of my mind was going, isn't my LR AWD rated at ~350hp.

vmulla | 2019年6月8日

One of the best outcomes of EV adoption is that HP is irrelevant, so is the 0-60 times. Slowly but surely, there's a shift towards safety - the only relevent question is if the car has enough power for emergency evasive maneuvering.

Anyone pushing their car beyond a reasonable limit is having their thrill at the expense of road safety.

tps | 2019年6月9日

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I disagree that EV owners are completely altruistic and uninterested in performance. Look at the success of the M3 P model and the draw of Ludicrous Mode in the S.

Pages