Forums

Florida passes autonomous vehicle law

Florida passes autonomous vehicle law

The following is a quote from Autobeat Daily:

"Florida has enacted a law that allows fully autonomous vehicles to be operated on public roads with no human driver on board.

The measure will take effect on July 1. It requires robotic cars to be fully insured, and it exempts their occupants from state laws against texting or watching videos while riding in such vehicles. The measure also prohibits local governments from imposing special taxes or fees on autonomous vehicles used to provide passenger transport services.

The law allows insurers to offer lower rates for cars equipped with factory-installed or retrofitted autonomous driving systems, as long as the technology complies with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration standards.

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed the bill yesterday at an event celebrating phase one development of Florida’s SunTrax mobility test track in Auburndale".

grins.va | 2019年6月14日

Good for Florida. Fourty-nine states to go.

Tropopause | 2019年6月14日

That’s great. Hope Elon is aware.

dougk71 | 2019年6月14日

In the local press all of Tesla FSD competitors are mentioned but not Tesla with over a billion miles of data. Millions of those miles were driven in Florida ( did many myself) yet no mention of Tesla. It is sad the aversion the press has to anything positive about Tesla. No instead a few Waymo miles driven in Miami with geofenced software and $20,0000 LIDAR sensors or Phoniness Arizona gets the headline. Tesla needs to get a PR person to spoon feed the press the good news otherwise the press will never find any.

carlk | 2019年6月14日

Why would they want to mention Tesla? To help it to wipe out companies that are a major sources of its ad income? A PR person is not good enough. This is the only instance buying advertisement is good for the company.

Boonedocks | 2019年6月14日

Other states have already passed the same more than a couple of years ago

TranzNDance | 2019年6月14日

Thumbs up for Florida.

kerryglittle | 2019年6月14日

Canada is probably a 100 years away from that. They wont even allow us to use the FOB so they aren't about to let cars go free range. If ever. Would be nice though. It would save a lot of lives I'm sure.

marika.appell | 2019年6月14日

You may have noticed in my post the Florida is constructing a test track primarily for autonomous vehicles, Suntrax.
Check the link, http://www.suntraxfl.com/#about

Tropopause | 2019年6月14日

Tesla can take advantage of the new Florida law despite the local ad failing to mention them. The way I see it- let the media ignore the truth about Tesla. When the genie comes out of the bottle, it’ll be an onslaught at all levels.

p.c.mcavoy | 2019年6月14日

Realize that actually delivering a feature beyond current EAP to actual customers still requires full approval by NHTSA under the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The only thing this law really does at the moment is allow manufacturers to test FSD cars without having a driver behind the wheel.

jlackey1948 | 2019年6月14日

If an autonomous vehicle causes a wreck, is the owner or the manufacturer liable?

TeslaTap.com | 2019年6月15日

@jlackey - Good question - yet to be resolved. It may be the insurance covers it, since the owner is responsible to have insurance. If it can be proven the autonomous software did something wrong, then the manufacturer may be liable. I suspect that's why Tesla may get into the insurance business. One outcome may be that you have to buy the insurance from the vehicle manufacturer - although I suspect the insurance industry will figure a way to get in on the action.

PBEndo | 2019年6月15日

@jlackey
I am no lawyer, but it may be treated the same way it currently is. The owner of the car is liable unless it can be shown that they acted properly and the car had a defect or design flaw that caused the accident, in which case the manufacturer is liable. For example, if a manufacturing defect or design flaw resulted in premature and sudden brake failure, the driver of that vehicle would not be responsible for an accident caused by the brake failure.
However, as long as the manufacturer includes language in the user agreement stating that the driver must remain attentive and able to take control of the car to avoid accidents, the manufacturer will be (somewhat) insulated from liability.

PBEndo | 2019年6月15日

^^I think

carlk | 2019年6月15日

@jlackey1948
***If an autonomous vehicle causes a wreck, is the owner or the manufacturer liable?***

It will be covered one way or the other if you have insurance with special language to cover the situation. I guess that's the reason why Elon wants to get into the insurance business. Regular insurance companies have neither the foresight nor the knowledge to handle autonomous cars.

kerryglittle | 2019年6月15日

Just don't be drunk behind the wheel. In Canada insurance won't cover you if you are impaired. At least it used to be if things haven't changed. I know of a young lad who got his first job and took out a big loan for a new car. He later celebrated his car and job with a few to many drinks with some friends and crashed his car into a ditch on the way home. For years after he was paying for a car he never had that was totalled. No it wasn't me. LOL.

carlk | 2019年6月15日

Alcohol related industries will be one of the beneficiaries of self driving cars.

carlk | 2019年6月15日

Full self driving cars of course.

kerryglittle | 2019年6月16日

Not to sure about that @carlk. There was a case where a man was passed out in his car. The car was off but his keys were in the ignition. So he still was in control of that vehicle and he was charged by police. He's mould have hid the keys outside of the car if he wanted to sleep it off. My wife works in the justice system so I get to hear all the bizarre stories.. Some you just wouldn't believe. LOL.

Haggy | 2019年6月17日

The car would have to be certified by regulators as self driving, so even if it's feature complete, if Tesla isn't saying that it's FSD yet, the law won't apply.

The problem I see is that there will be an FSD mode, and the car can be driven manually. Cops won't have a way to tell, unless there's nobody in the driver's seat.

Tropopause | 2019年6月17日

Remove the steering wheel or let Tesla insure their own cars.

kerryglittle | 2019年6月18日

I still say there will be situations where FSD won't work. Back roads with no lines, dirt roads, snow covered roads, heavy rainfall. Wont our cars need lines to stay in their lane?

marika.appell | 2019年6月18日

I always travel I95 and the turnpike with NOA activated. I agree with kerryglittle that FSD has a long way to go. Probably not in my lifetime.

SamO | 2019年6月18日

Marika- are you very sick? I’ll pray for you as my car enters the Tesla Network.

;-)

marika.appell | 2019年6月25日

More detailed information on the new Florida law was recently posted by Jalopnik that indicates Tesla may push advanced software updates to Florida drivers.
https://jalopnik.com/floridas-potentially-deadly-autonomous-car-experime...