Forums

How Good Is AP 3.0 FSD Compared to AP 2.5

How Good Is AP 3.0 FSD Compared to AP 2.5

It's been a while since Tesla announced their AP hardware 3.0 and I can't recall all the specs for this new hardware.
Just wondering, how much better is this hardware compared to 2.5.
Also, for owners with the older hardware with FSD, do you think Tesla will be upgrading their hardware anytime soon?

hoffmannjames | 2019年6月20日

The AP3 computer is much better than the AP2 computer in terms of hardware. But right now there is no difference between software yet since Tesla has not pushed any software unique to AP3.

To your second question, Elon said that we shoudl wait for the new FSD features to be released before getting the AP3 computer upgrade. So probably by the end of the year.

CharleyBC | 2019年6月20日

I seem to recall reading that the HW3 processor could chomp ten times as many video frames per second as HW2.5.

M3phan | 2019年6月20日

Elon tweeted in March that software is not currently optimized for the new FSD chip. But that chip is/will be a power house.

Spartan24 | 2019年6月21日

Are all Model 3s before a certain date equipped with hardware 2.5? Or do some have 2.0, and if yes how do you know which you have?

spuzzz123 | 2019年6月21日

Yeah I’ve read all models produced in April 2019 or later have new hardware. My source is these forums so take it for what it’s worth

Techy James | 2019年6月21日

@terry.k.morrow all Model 3s will have AP Hardware 2.5 that was produced before April 2019.

trisha.patel | 2019年6月21日

anyone expecting up?

trisha.patel | 2019年6月21日

anyone expecting up?

http://midwaychronicle.com/

EVRider | 2019年6月21日

I’ve seen reports in this forum that some features aren’t working yet with HW3, so don’t be in a rush to upgrade when that option becomes available. I’ll stick with HW2.5 until I know HW3 works at least as well as what I have now.

mknewman | 2019年6月21日
CharleyBC | 2019年6月21日

Piecing together tidbits from various threads, I think the only advantage today of HW3 is 250 kW Supercharging. And that’s because apparently 2019.7.x is the only software that supports 250 so far, and that was the software the HW3 cars were initially shipped with. If I have that wrong, forgive me.

jjgunn | 2019年6月21日

As usual....hardware outpaces the software.

Once the software catches up, hopefully FSD begins to takeoff

mikedubyaa | 2019年6月21日

My father has a model 3P from November with 2.5. I have a Model 3P from June with the 3.0

While I know the software isn't different, The Autopilot functions are noticeably smoother and more predictable on my newer car than his. Both drivers and passengers have commented on it.

jjgunn | 2019年6月21日

FYI.....the software versions are different. Check it out....

deezeela | 2019年6月21日

I was told by a Mobile technician that Tesla has been upgrading CPUs for their employees. I assume Tesla is also testing FSD on them too.

doumit | 2019年10月19日

I have a 2018 Model X, I just got a call from tesla that my upgrade just came in. I scheduled it for next week. will see how it goes. This is much faster than anticipated.