Forums

Tesla Raises Prices on S and X effective 7-15

Tesla Raises Prices on S and X effective 7-15

Article from Reuters on 7-15 "EV maker Tesla revamps prices in sales push"
--U.S. electric carmaker Tesla Inc said ... it will change prices of its Model 3, X and S vehicles. The starting price for the Model 3 will be $30,315, down from $32,225, that for the Model X will rise to $75,315 from $71,325, and the Model S will change to $70,115, up from $65,125, according to the company's website.

On 7-15, after seeing the article, I went on tesla.com and the Design your Model S, and the base price was already adjusted to "70,115 After potential savings", or a reality of a $79,990 purchase price. Immediately up $5k without providing any new features or included options. Not sure if that'll help or hurt the company ... more revenue per car, but what will it do to sales numbers this quarter?

jeffrub | 2019年7月15日

I just got my new MS with the ludicrous+ feature included at no charge since I was a previous MS owner.. Now I see There is no longer an option for ludicrous+ for 20k. Anyone know what’s going on?

ALSET | 2019年7月15日

I think the S is actually cheaper now. They took away the Standard S and now the Long Range is $79,900. That's about $5000 less than I payed for it back in May. Granted the tax rebate is half of May but you still come out a few thousand ahead.

jeffrub | 2019年7月15日

Yea, but they also seem to have removed the ludicrous option that I think gave you the ludicrous+ feature. The performance feature was 20k yesterday and the ludicrous option was another 20k. I got both because they gave me the ludicrous option. I thought I was getting a 120k car for 100k 3 weeks ago, but now seems the option is gone. Seems a little sneaky if they really did that. I.e convince existing owners to get a new MS because they give you a 20k option and then remove that option. I hope it’s just a mistake on the website right now and that I actually do have an option that will continue to be an extra 20k.

ens | 2019年7月15日

Also, I read about this coming a couple weeks ago, ... the cost for black paint is now a $1k option ... only white is included as a base price color. The only two metallic colors are $1,500 and red is $2,500.

ens | 2019年7月15日

Alset, yes. I looked at the numbers and features, etc., and for the Long Range (even having to pay $1k for black paint and no EAP vs having to go all in the FSD for $6k) it is overall less than earlier in the year and end of last year. I ordered a 2018 S 100D in the fall, delivery in December, and even with having received the 2018 full rebate, it is now less than I paid ... but I got in on the final days of getting both a sun roof and metallic black paint.

ALSET | 2019年7月15日

I just hope the MSRP updates when I renew my tabs next year because here in Seattle our tab fees are 1.1% of the MSRP of the car. As for pricing, with the difference in the tax rebate and the +$1000 for black paint the difference is just over $1000 but still I think this is a great price and hopefully it spurs some new buyers. The Performance Model 3 is much cheaper now too.

DanFoster1 | 2019年7月15日

Tesla discontinued the standard range Model S, lowered the price of the long range Model S, and now includes ludicrous acceleration on the performance Model S (which was formerly a $20k upgrade to the performance Model S.) The Reuters article is, unsurprisingly, inaccurate and misleading.

jonathanbush2001 | 2019年7月16日

Check out the lease pricing. I just priced out more vehicle (LR vs standard, everything else the same) vs what I priced out 2 days ago, and it shows a lease payment about $100 less. Incredible.

bp | 2019年7月16日

Comparing the latest prices to the configurations for our 2017 S and 2018 X, ordering replacements would cost around $20K less for each with the same features (except for the S pana roof) and longer range.

MrCoffee | 2019年7月16日

So for someone who purchased and took delivery 4 weeks ago of a Raven refresh Performance Model S without Ludicrous Mode, are there options now to pay the ~$3800 difference in price to get that added vs the 20k it was 24 hours ago?

dtpham1020 | 2019年7月16日

Hey guys, just wondering with this new pricing,
Is the "free ludicrous mode for current model s/x owners" promo still available? Or applicable to this new pricing?

dtpham1020 | 2019年7月16日

*nvm got the answers to my questions

jbrown234 | 2019年7月16日

Unfortunately too many folks are looking at Tesla vehicle pricing from a short term perspective. The price of the dual motor AWD model S 100D is roughly $27,000 less today than when I purchased it in 2017. And an S, X, or 3 models today all are equipped with a more efficient motor and battery than the Model S I purchased in 2017. Also a Model S today has a range of 370 miles instead of 335 mile range that my 2017 model S can travel. This said, in order for Tesla to continue to lead the EV marketplace reasonable, and sustainable company profits are essential, with adjustments in vehicle options and pricing necessary to achieve these objectives. Personally, though I paid $27K more than what I would have paid today for my model S I would not have had the benefit and enjoyment of two years of driving the best vehicle in the marketplace. I have also had access to regular vehicle enhancements through Tesla's system software upgrades. What other car company offers its customers ongoing vehicle enhancements with continuous software upgrades? And provides these upgrades for free.

2015P90DI | 2019年7月16日

@dtpham1020 - Ludicrous Mode is now included on ALL Performance models. So it's technically free to all buyers, not just prior owners. They are currently not offering the Insane Mode version of the Performance car. Ludicrous is included for $99,990 base price.

EVRider | 2019年7月16日

The title of this thread is misleading -- Tesla changed pricing, and some prices went up while others went down. So they didn't raise prices across the board as the title implies.

Since I bought my first Model S85 in late 2015 (delivered in March 2016), the overall price trend for Model S has come down, all things considered, even though it goes up and down along the way. Just after I bought mu new S100D in December, prices came down quite a bit -- I didn't time that one well.

For example, the base price for my 2016 S85 was $80k, same as the new base price for the S Long Range. The new S has 100+ miles more range than my S85, 0-60 time is about 1.5 seconds faster, and includes many features that were either optional or not available when I bought the S85.

SO | 2019年7月16日

I can now buy a P100D for cheaper than my 2017 S90D. Sooooooo tempting......

jfemd.va.us | 2019年7月16日

A new Model S like the one I ordered May 25th and received June 27 (Long range with performance and ludicrous, pearl white, 19" sonic carbon wheels, autopilot with fsd) would cost $107,490. I paid $106,700 (as a prior owner, the ludicrous was free). Pearl white MC is now the no-cost paint color (use to be an extra $2000); the long range with performance costs $99,900 (was $96,000). I wonder if performance will always include the ludicrous mode (quite a potential savings). They are already trying to boost quarter three sales.

thework99 | 2019年7月16日

It is really a spectacular model with extreme specifications and functions. Totally loved it.

dougk71 | 2019年7月16日

I understand the customer relations aspect of Tesla absorbing via a price cut that offsets the sun setting of federal tax credits.
Every other price announcement seems chaotic and varies sometimes within a week. I'm convinced Tesla is using a random number generator that when it randomly adjusts up you just lie in wait until it randomly adjusts down.
What is next with Tesla pricing will we put in bids like on E-bay and hope someone in Tesla's pricing department doesn't snipe your purchase in the last micro second.?

jeffrub | 2019年7月16日

What is the difference between ludicrous and ludicrous+? I just got a performance model before the price increase and got the ludicrous option included for free. The car has both ludicrous and ludicrous+ buttons but is there a performance difference? Anyone know?

WattsThatGrin | 2019年7月17日

@jeffrub
select ludicrous+ on the screen and read the f.....g text. Duh.

inconel | 2019年7月17日

Ludicrous+ used to require independence from Mom. Not sure if still the case?

s.grot | 2019年7月17日

This lowering of the MS prices will also lower the used car prices. Which in

s.grot | 2019年7月17日

... Which will make it look like Tesla’s lose value quickly.

TranzNDance | 2019年7月18日

Tesla needs to make the cars affordable to achieve its mission. In the Bay Area, where the Tesla vehicle prices are "affordable" to a lot more people than in most places, there are so many of them all over the place.

Billtranscend | 2019年7月21日

Tesla just cut off 20K option for ludicrous mode on Model S/X performace. I'm just brought the car on Jun 27 2019 with MS performance. Is there any chance upgrade my Tesla insane mode into ludicrous mode?

EVRider | 2019年7月21日

@Billtranscend: Don't know, but it doesn't hurt to ask. (Tesla, not us. :-)