Forums

Great read on why Tesla is different than the rest

Great read on why Tesla is different than the rest

This is a really good article that debunks some FUD also.

/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-steering-drivetrain-suspension-secrets-r...

raqball | 2019年8月6日

^^ That was a very good read.. Thanks for sharing it..

neylus | 2019年8月6日

Anyone who drives a model 3 knows there is something very unique about the way the tires are seemingly Velcro-ed to the road. The article sheds some light on why that is.

TickTock | 2019年8月6日

"The engineers revealed that each rear wheel of the electric sedan has six degrees of freedom"

I guess this explains why it takes so long to get an alignment.

raqball | 2019年8月6日

TickTock | August 6, 2019
I guess this explains why it takes so long to get an alignment.
-----------------
re: Alignment.. Someone in another thread said they need to recalibrate the cameras when doing one so I assume that adds to the complexity...

M3phan | 2019年8月6日

Most excellent article, saved to my phone, thanks for posting!

Shesmyne2 | 2019年8月6日

Quite informative! Thanks for sharing

Still Grinning ;-)

vmulla | 2019年8月6日

Thank you.

Do not ignore this article.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年8月7日

Nice article. Good ammunition against 'window dressing', 'quality', and 'luxury' Trolls.

Joshan | 2019年8月7日

exactly, one of the better articles I have read on what makes Tesla "different".

jimglas | 2019年8月7日

bump

apodbdrs | 2019年8月7日

@TickTock, rear wheels don't require alignment in the general sense!

Lbanworth | 2019年8月7日

I knew I was driving one bad ass car!!!

inconel | 2019年8月7日

Nothing bad about my M3 ass.
I love it!!! ;)

Techy James | 2019年8月7日

@Joshan nice read.
Although I really hope the life of the vehicle is longer than 150K miles. I have only had one car where I exceeded the 150K on the mileage meter, but consider this car to possibly be my second 150K ride. My normal for most cars is to trade after about 60K or about 3 years.

Joshan | 2019年8月7日

@TechyJames
totally agree! that jumped out at me also.!!

Its mostly aluminum so will not rust. The motors are rated for a million miles. On another Forum with old timer S owners they are stating things like !80k miles with 5% battery degradation.

Based on those facts I am expecting WAY more than 150k

Techy James | 2019年8月7日

Just for the record, I am referring to life of the Brakes where the Articles say they are designed to last the life of the vehicle, then say's they are designed to last 150K.
The one car I kept for 150K was hybrid, and the brakes was still good when I traded it in at 167K.

dmastro | 2019年8月7日

Cool article!

Tronguy | 2019年8月7日

@TechJames: The Other Car in the garage is a 2010 Prius. It got its very first brake job at 120,000 miles; just the pads, the disks were fine. (Another regen-style car.) I imagine the Tesla will be as good or better.

billtphotoman | 2019年8月7日

Thanks for posting a great article and among other things it would lead me to stick with the OEM tires when tire replacement time comes up even though they cost a mint.

Bighorn | 2019年8月7日

My pads were down 1 mm out of 8 at 200k miles

teslu3 | 2019年8月7日

The Prius I traded for a Model 3 had 171k miles and original brakes that were ready to be replaced.
The 3 brakes will last far longer as I use them much less.

gballant4570 | 2019年8月7日

This article made me question my decision to replace the original set of tires with non-OEM tires, but only momentarily. I do realize I am on a learning curve however. The tires I chose are about 6%-8% lower in wh/m efficiency, but the longevity of the OEM tires at less than 14k miles required a change. But perhaps I could have made a better choice....

The 150k miles until brake work is required has got to be super conservative. I've driven my Model 3 about 15k miles, but the brake use has been more the equivalent of 1k miles in an ICE.

Joshan | 2019年8月7日

I have a workmate who sold his 2013 model s last year to get a new one. 180kish miles and they said his brakes still had 80%+ life left.

gballant4570 | 2019年8月7日

Joshan, that along with Bighorn's comments sound more like it.

M3phan | 2019年8月7日

Glad I kept the OEM tires when I switched them out last month. I understand it’s not a necessity, not a requirement, but this just gives me one more reason to feel good about my decision, which I felt great about to begin with.

ralphfiol | 2019年8月8日

Great read. Like others had said, I'll stick to OEM tires. Having said that, I've seen both Michelin and Continental tires mentioned for Model 3. Is that accurate? Are there other manufactures who have designed specifically for Model 3?

95dawg | 2019年8月8日

Thinking back to my 99 Cherokee, probably spent $800 on just on brake jobs over the years. It is amazing how much $$ is spent on ICE car maintenance.

Can't imagine how much BMW, Audi, Lexus, and etc repair shops charge for brake work.

Joshan | 2019年8月8日

2 grand....

inconel | 2019年8月8日

IIRC 2 grand for two brakes (rear) on my Porsche turbo.

FISHEV | 2019年8月13日

“ Are there other manufactures who have designed specifically for Model 3?“Ralphfiol

Consumer Reports recommends the Pirelli P-Zero all season as the quietest of its highest rated tires for Tesla Model 3. It also had top rating in wet handling and hydroplaning.

Others have top ratings with different mixes of features. I’ll probably try the Pirelli as my summer tire with Michelin Xice 3’s as the winter tire.