Forums

Erratic battery range displayed

Erratic battery range displayed

Hi,
Over the past few months the range displayed has been pretty erratic. I get very little regen braking (flat roads, mostly freeway):
For example - odometer-57 miles / battery range reduced 74 miles (-30%)
Next day - odometer 18 miles / battery range reduced 9 miles (+50%!!)

My M3 has 14.5K miles on it and I can't remember this happening before. The only things changed lately - rotated tires, removed aero covers, and yeah dealing with oppressive 90+ deg weather everyday in South Florida

FISHEV | 2019年8月12日

What does the car say your rated range is for current charge state? What does car say your estimated range is for current charge state?

That would give you a comparison of conditions calculated range vs. simply rated range, a fixed ratio number.

If you are doing deep discharges 50-18 miles left, you may as well take it down as far as possible and then charge to 100% to see if it 'resets" the range calculations.

Bighorn | 2019年8月12日

In ophthalmology, we call this the blind leading the blind.

lilbean | 2019年8月12日

Haha!

lbowroom | 2019年8月12日

You say flat so I wont mention uphill, downhill. but what about speed, temperature, tire pressure, climate settings

gmr6415 | 2019年8月12日

@FISHEV, "If you are doing deep discharges 50-18 miles left, you may as well take it down as far as possible and then charge to 100% to see if it 'resets" the range calculations."

Why do you keep repeating this when (1) you have said yourself that doing it once didn't work for you and (2) everyone who has posted here stating what did work was repeating a deep discharge, full 100% charge at least 3 times in a row?

It would seem that you're intentionally giving people looking for some help instructions you know are false.

vijay0129 | 2019年8月12日

Ok so I gather I should try a deep discharge + 100% charge 3 times?
@lbowroom - speed, temperature, tire pressure, climate settings rarely change. I do hit 85 mph on my commute for about 5 miles but it’s been that way since I first got the car.

Bighorn | 2019年8月12日

Do nothing

FISHEV | 2019年8月12日

"you have said yourself that doing it once didn't work for you "@gmr6415

It didn't change my rated range but that has always been at 310-309. If there's nothing to reset, doing a deep discharge once or three times won't have any result. And you only need do it once if you have procured the Orb of Osuvox in advance. Never heard of why doing it three times would work better than doing it once. Both are likely urban legends.

syclone | 2019年8月13日

I have a Chinese knockoff of the Orb Of Osovox if anybody needs it. Just give my your home GPS co-ordinates.