Forums

loss of efficiency when carrying bicycles?

loss of efficiency when carrying bicycles?

Is anyone aware of data on the loss of efficiency when carrying two road bicycles with a hitch rack? Or have personal experience?
I suppose the Tesla hitch rack is very similar to other hitch racks.
Thanks, Gil

jmthomas1228 | 2019年8月23日

I don’t have any data on it, but based on the common sense science behind it, you will have minimal losses, nothing to be concerned about. Not like towing a trailer, more like having an extra passenger.

jimglas | 2019年8月23日

I didnt notice any significant difference with 2 bikes on a hitch rack.

gwier001 | 2019年8月23日

jimglas,
can I ask you how far you drove when you didn't notice any difference? We're planning a trip through some parts of the West (four corners region, southern Utah, Hwy 12) where superchargers are few and far between. On the other hand, there's some great bicycling in some of those places! MX has such a low CD, and the back of a vehicle is important in determining that, its hard for me to think there wouldn't be at least a 10% effect. Agree, not like hauling a trailer though.

Uncle Paul | 2019年8月23日

So many variables and speed dependent.

Your computer will constantly update your range, and you will be able to adjust your speed if the situation gets critical.

Bicycles can generate horrible drag when mounted sideways. The closer you can get to the back of your Tesla the better.

I carried a hitch mounted low package rack and did not notice any difference in range.

jimglas | 2019年8月24日

@gwier: I drove from Southern CO to Breckenridge. Didnt notce any significant loss in range.
BTW, Moab has a nice SC. We go biking in SO UT, there are enough SCs to make it work.

volefen | 2019年8月24日

Heat might be a contributing factor, but I've heard that driving very little is actually more stressful on the battery. So if you drive 6-8 K miles a year, that might explain it. If you're up in the 12K+ range, well, that theory is toast :)
http://mcdvoice.xyz/
http://mcdvoice.xyz/www-mcdvoice-com/

gwier001 | 2019年8月24日

All right, we're going to head out with our bicycles on the back. Seems pretty clear that we shouldn't expect any dramatic effects, but definitely worth keeping an eye on, and, of course, letting MX do the real-time calculations!
thanks

jimglas | 2019年8月24日

good luck and have fun!

CatTrax | 2019年8月24日

Jim is spot on . . . although strictly anecdotal, we just completed a 650 mile drive from the UP of Michigan to Toronto with two bikes on the bike rack attached to the hitch. Any loss of energy was nominal and attributed the extra weight and the turbulence that resulted when air passed over the car and down it's back side. Enjoy your trip . . . the ride in your Tesla and time in the saddle!!

wagnerlisa56 | 2019年9月4日

Not an efficiency answer but tailgate advice on the MX - If you accidently open the hatch with the bikes on rack, it should stop before hitting anything BUT make sure you get out and close it by hand. Trying to close it with from the "door" screen or key fob made ours go further up, scraping the hatch badly!