Forums

Production Decreases as Temperature Goes Above 100 ??

Production Decreases as Temperature Goes Above 100 ??

My 24 panels were installed December 2018. I just moved to Henderson NV. My daily production went higher as the summer months approached. About June I was seeing about 50kw daily and so I thought that come July and August, I would see higher numbers as these are hotter months here. Production actually went down when temps are like 108 average outside. I read somewhere that solar panels actually lose efficiency after temps reach over 100? Is this normal? Should I call customer service which I dread after a very terrible experience.

Thanks.

smaches | 2019年8月28日
Noam | 2019年8月28日

In a nutshell, the panels tend to be most efficient at around 76 degrees. As the air temperature warms up, the panels can't shed as much waste heat, so they work less efficiently. Solar production is going to be highest when the sun is hitting the panels at an angle that is as close to 90 degrees as possible, for the longest amount of time. The days with the most hours of sunlight are right around the summer solstice, June 20th. Combined with the relative angle of the panels to the sun at midday (keeping in mind which way the house faces and the angle of the roof), most people reach that maximum production level some time in May or June. So while it is common to think that the highest production will come in the hottest part of the summer, it really happens for most people in late spring or the very beginning of the summer.

Patrick | 2019年8月28日

Our experience is consistent with Noam’s comments above. After 3.5 years our peak generation has always been April thru June in Florida. Charts are shown here:

https://ibb.co/cKByYcw

3Gs | 2019年9月10日

Thank you for all the info. I apologize for the late response. I thought I had replied much earlier. Glad to know that my system generating power properly.