Forums

Does the TeslaCam record when parked?

Does the TeslaCam record when parked?

Hi all,
I'm aware of sentry mode, not asking about sentry mode here. My question is because I parked my car in my garage and I wanted to check the usb flash drive after I locked it so I went back to the garage, unlocked it, pulled out the teslacam flash drive and ... I saw myself walking by the side of the car inside the garage just before I pulled the drive out in one of the videos. I was surprised about that. I don't use sentry mode and obviously not inside my own garage so I was thinking ... I should wear pants next time I walk by my model 3 ...lol. Is it recording while parked? or did it just happened to start recording when I unlocked it? Thanks

cybergrafx | 2019年9月12日

Right next to the Sentry Mode icon on the top of the display is a camera icon. If you have a red dot in the middle of the camera your video is recording. if there is no red dot it is off. Mine is on all of the time so I can record events while driving. I have to remember to turn it off when I get home otherwise it records my garage all weekend.

Rodo | 2019年9月12日

Interesting... my car is parked in the garage most of the week until the weekend. I should check the file dates today and see if they are from an hour before I pulled the drive out or ... last night when I went to the market.

beaver | 2019年9月12日

Yes check your dash cam files

gmr6415 | 2019年9月12日

That isn't how it's supposed to work, but others have reported the same.

EVRider | 2019年9月12日

The dashcam is always recording when the car is on, even if you're not driving. If you leave the car and it turns off, the dashcam will turn off too.

Rodo | 2019年9月12日

So here is the data and it supports what @EVRider said: I used the car last (9/11/2019) night to go to the market and the files names are (the date in parenthesis are the computer file date and time, California time):

2019-09-11_20-51-10-front.mp4 (9/11/19 8:52pm)

... (these files are here, no need to type them all)

2019-09-11_21-51-28-front.mp4 (9/11/2019 9:52pm)

2019-09-12_16-31-44-front.mp4 (9/12/2019 4:31pm) <---- This is when I got home on 9/12/2019

If it recorded *all* the time I should have only files from an hour before I got home and pulled the drive out. BTW the repeater files are there I just didn't want to type their name. The video is all messed up though which means I need a better drive. I'm going to get the SD card stuff that some guy recommended here in other post.

cybergrafx | 2019年9月13日

I wish mine worked like EVRider says it should. I recently switched to a 512GB micro SD card because the flash drives filled up so quickly and dies after so many re-writes.

When I connect the card the video does not start recording until I tap the camera icon and it gets a red dot. When I forget to turn it on I have no files for the dates that it is off except for the Sentry mode videos.

If I turn the camera on, it stays on until I turn it off. It does not turn off when I leave the car, even when I have sentry mode off. While it is on it records while driving and parked. I delete a ton of videos from inside my garage all night and weekends.

I've been hoping for a software fix or Tesla to add locations for the video to not record, similar to Sentry mode. (currently 2019.32.2.1)
Now I'm wondering why some cars are working the way I'd like it to and why mine is not...
(Car: Dec 2018)

St☰v☰ | 2019年9月13日

So right from the owner's manual. The second paragraph below may address your issue of not recording.

To access the video footage from dashcam,
pause the dashcam, then remove the flash
drive and use a personal computer to access
the video files located in the “TeslaCam”
folder.

Caution: You may lose up to the last 60
seconds of camera footage if you remove
the flash drive before pausing dashcam or
if your vehicle loses 12V power.