Forums

Irvine - Michelson Supercharger Open

Irvine - Michelson Supercharger Open

Saw on other forum that it’s now open. Owner’s showing screenshot as available from app. My app doesn’t yet, but abetterrouteplanner does. Tesla supercharger location list not updated yet. Anyway ABR shows 12 stalls at 72kW.

rehutton777 | 2019年10月20日

That's great news. Now if we could get some action on the one which is supposed to be built in Mission Viejo that would be perfect. I've been waiting for that one for a while now.

casun | 2019年10月20日

what’s the cross street?

Bighorn | 2019年10月20日

Looks like between Carlson and Jamboree

lbowroom | 2019年10月20日

Really? That’s a block from my office. Cool

Bighorn | 2019年10月20日

Garage by Panini Kabob Grill

lbowroom | 2019年10月20日

That parking lot is a nightmare during lunchtime but having my own spot will actually help

SamO | 2019年10月20日

12 stalls at 72kW means these will be full much of the time. Perfect location. Demand will be off the charts. There should be at least 24 stalls at this location.

Hopefully Tesla can expand at this site.

casun | 2019年10月20日

thanks bighorn

apodbdrs | 2019年10月21日

The new super charge is located on 3021 Michelson Dr according to supercharger.infor. An another one is planned on Main and MacArther. There several features to this map info, one just has to use it.

apodbdrs | 2019年10月21日

The new super charge is located on 3021 Michelson Dr according to supercharger.infor. An another one is planned on Main and MacArthur Blvd, at 1970 Main. There several features to supercharger.info, one just has to use it.

rxlawdude | 2019年10月21日

I can only imagine how many will be parked overnight, stranding anyone who actually needs a charge.

This will be San Juan Capistrano and Fountain Valley squared (remember those early SpC clusters?) with locals leaving their cars while going home or to work.

Hopefully idle fees will be applied aggressively, or this site will be less than useless.

lbowroom | 2019年10月21日

Yes, adding superchargers is a terrible thing. They shouldn't have done it. /s

SamO | 2019年10月21日

Nobody parks overnight. Where did this FUD talking point come from?

If they did, I’d be happy for Tesla to collect $60/hour for providing zero electricity. They could build 100,000 Superchargers under this delusional scenario.

SamO | 2019年10月21日

People did that before idle charges were instituted.

apodbdrs | 2019年10月21日

@rxlawdude, if you or anyone else is willing to pay $1 a minute after charging, you are welcome to do so. The supercharger and car are not dumb, they are a money making machine tor Tesla for fools willing to stay on!

jvcesare | 2019年10月21日

FYI handy link to superchargers planned, under construction, and operational
https://supercharge.info/map

rehutton777 | 2019年10月21日

SamO: "Nobody parks overnight. Where did this FUD talking point come from?"
This parking structure is right next door to some pretty exclusive high-rise aparments/condo buildings. If there were no "parking penalty", I could easily see some Tesla owners in these condos using this as their personal garage, parking there for extended periods while charging. Hopefully the idle fees will discourage that sort of thing.

rxlawdude | 2019年10月21日

@apod, I am not willing to pay $1/min idle fee. I'm barely willing to pay $.32/kWh at Superchargers. :-)

I guess it's a foreign concept to most Tesla owners, but in SoCal, history has shown that greed ("free supercharging" meant park your car at a stall until you came back after work or sleep) causes many side effects.

Yes, the idle fee will mitigate some of the bad behavior. I'll prefer my $.12/kWh home charging except in emergencies. And if one of our two Teslas needs to be charged quickly, I'll nominate our 2015 with free SpCing to visit Michelson while grabbing some Panini Kabobs or Counter burgers. ;-)

rxlawdude | 2019年10月21日

"Nobody parks overnight. Where did this FUD talking point come from?"

Clearly you never were at San Juan Capistrano or Fountain Valley prior to idle fees.

SamO | 2019年10月21日

Both prior to Idle Fee introduction. I saw the same behavior in 2014 in Culver City.

I just haven’t seen it anywhere in the last 4 years.

rxlawdude | 2019年10月21日

Considering Fountain Valley hasn't been open for four years, you should check it out around 10am on weekdays.

SamO | 2019年10月21日

10am sleepover?

lbowroom | 2019年10月21日

Went there today. 2nd floor in the garage. About half of them were occupied.

rxlawdude | 2019年10月21日

@Sam, that's when you see the unoccupied Teslas with free supercharging after the driver's SO picks them up in another car to take them to work.

@lbowroom, I'll have to check it out. Hankering for a kabob.

Bighorn | 2019年10月21日

Idle fee is "only" 50 cents/min if the station isn't 100% occupied.

syclone | 2019年10月22日

Then there are those that plug the charger part way in to look like the're charging, but just parking there.

apodbdrs | 2019年10月22日

@syclone, the car's location is known at all times and how long it is there! Also, other people charging their cars or waiting can report it, or send in a video, license plate #, person, etc.! Why, are we even having this discussion????

rxlawdude | 2019年10月22日

@apod, because this is a discussion forum. Why do you believe we shouldn't have this discussion?

Sarah R | 2019年10月22日

@syclone the correct action to take when one sees a vehicle at the Supercharger stall with a plug half inserted by mistake is to be kind and fully insert the plug. >:-]

apodbdrs | 2019年10月22日

@rxlawdude, good one! Got me!

cmh95628 | 2019年10月23日

It looks like they are still not installing V3 chargers in brand new supercharger stations. I was hoping we would be at that point by now. Does anyone have any information on when that might happen? @Bighorn? I ask because you seem really knowledgeable about all things Tesla. Hoping you have some insight here. TIA.

Bighorn | 2019年10月23日

@cmh
These 10 are getting V3:
Clearwater, FL
Davidson, SK
Dryden, ON, Canada
Lynchburg, VA
Madison, CT (one Northbound and one Southbound)
Meriden, CT
Santa Rosa, CA
Sault Ste Marie, ON, Canada
Stockton, CA
Vienna, VA
source: Electrek

I think SLO is getting some now as well.

ODWms | 2019年10月24日

@Bighorn - Is there any way to know where in Clearwater this location will be? I looked online and only see an existing location in Pinellas Park, but no Clearwater.

Bighorn | 2019年10月24日

@OD
WaWa at 26508 US Highway 19

ODWms | 2019年10月24日

Cool. Thanks, Bighorn. I know right where that is. It’s a brand new Wawa location.

Bighorn | 2019年10月24日

Keep an eye out for construction!

rehutton777 | 2019年10月24日

I was at the Irvine - Michelson SC this afternoon. When I pulled in at 1:15 it was just less than half occupied. When I pulled out 30 minutes later it was about 3/4 occupied. Charging rate started at 32 kW for about 15 minutes, the for some reason "bumped" up to 67 kW to finish off (nominal charging is up to 75 kW at these chargers). There was no one beside me, and the spaces weren't numbered, so I don't know if I was "paired" with another car which left. I sat in the car the whole time, and it was pretty busy with cars pulling in and out (mostly "in" towards the end).

cmh95628 | 2019年10月24日

Stockton, CA definitely needs V3. I try to spend as little time there as possible! Yet another good reason to have the LR battery.

ODWms | 2019年10月24日

@Bighorn. I happened to be over that way earlier today, so I stopped by but saw nothing.

I go through that area a couple times a month. I’ll definitely be taking photos and posting as soon as I see anything.

rxlawdude | 2019年10月24日

Three waiting now. Most of the ones charging are older MS (presumably with free Supercharging).

rehutton777 | 2019年11月12日

Interesting - - I charged at the new Michelson supercharger back on Oct. 24, with a total cost of $7.65 according to the information on my car's touch screen. However, the charge does not show on my on-line "History", and I was not billed for it on my credit card. Anyone else get unexpected free charging at this new supercharger?