@elonmusk
·
1m
Cybertruck unveil on Nov 21 in LA near SpaceX rocket factory

WhiteWi | 2019年11月6日

Yahoo

dsvick | 2019年11月6日

@WhiteWi - "Yahoo"

"Yahoo"? They'll probably cover it but YouTube will live stream it. :)

Bighorn | 2019年11月6日

I wonder why there aren't spy shots with reveal imminent.

Joshan | 2019年11月6日

Also why at SpaceX and not Tesla?

Bighorn | 2019年11月6日

@Joshan
Tesla is located at SpaceX in Hawthorne.

Joshan | 2019年11月6日

thanks for the lesson :)

TeslaTap.com | 2019年11月6日

To be a bit clearer on the location, Tesla's design group has a building right next to SpaceX. Hawthorne Superchargers are right in front of the Tesla design center. You can go into the lobby, but there are no tours.

jefjes | 2019年11月6日

@jimglas- LOL

Hp.1193 | 2019年11月6日

Really, really excited for this. The whole Model Y unveiling was sort of disappointing.

jimglas | 2019年11月6日

Any truth to the rumor that their will be 2 models. Cyber and traditional?

Bighorn | 2019年11月6日

Blade Runner is set in November 2019 which is alluded to in another tweet.

Joshan | 2019年11月6日

@bighorn just saw that in the video he posted. Very cool :)

jebinc | 2019年11月6日

Looking forward to the reveal, and seeing the specs. Hopefully 400+ mile range to compete with Rivian.

Bighorn | 2019年11月6日

Tesla always seeks to outdo the competition.

jebinc | 2019年11月6日

-@Bighorn

Agreed, and they should - as the market leader. Re Trucks, Rivian seems to have an early jump, but time will tell how "real" or not the Rivian hype is - once a real unit is out in the wild.

EAPme | 2019年11月6日

Looking forward to it!

I'm just as eager to watch Elon muddle through the unveiling with some poorly-delivered humor. It's entertaining in an endearing way.

jebinc | 2019年11月6日

Please forgive my ignorance.... How are the invitations determined? Media only?

andy.connor.e | 2019年11月6日

This is foreshadowing their next launch. They will launch the truck into space

jebinc | 2019年11月6日

Looks like the answer to my question above is, "People who won the referral prize to attend an event, media, and people who know someone in the company high up that can get them in."

Joshan | 2019年11月6日

the people begging +1 adds on TMC are funny.

vmulla | 2019年11月6日

I think the teaser image of the truck is the profile of the truck bed, and not the front.

hokiegir1 | 2019年11月6日

@vmulla - I can't find the tweet itself (just articles referencing it), but Musk confirmed it was the front, not the rear.

Joshan | 2019年11月6日

Here is what Elons brother thinks. I have to assume he has seen it.

Kimbal Musk
@kimbal

I am most excited for the Cybertruck than any Tesla product since the Model S. It’s going to blow your mind

vmulla | 2019年11月6日

hokiegir1 | November 6, 2019
@vmulla - I can't find the tweet itself (just articles referencing it), but Musk confirmed it was the front, not the rear.
——

I’m just unable to wrap my head around that image. But then again I wasn’t able to wrap by head around cross country EV travel a few years ago.

Effopec | 2019年11月6日

So now apparently these forums will be missing categories for Model Y, Semi, and Cybertruck...

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年11月6日

PART I

Back in 2014, Elon Musk spoke of their upcoming Tesla 'D' Event using the word 'magnitude' to describe how projections on the internet were close, but short of their actual intent or accomplishments. Ever since, as your 'Friendly Neighborhood Over-the-Top Optimistic Tesla Certified Apologist Fanboy', I have always adjusted my expectations to be what most here would call 'Overkill' or 'Wild Speculation'. Thus, I'd expect the bare minimum for a Tesla Pickup would be 125% as capable as a similar ICE to start, with a potential to be 200% or 300%. At 6,200 GVWR and higher the Tesla Pickup will be eligible for the very same Section 179 Federal Business Tax Credit that supports Ford, General Motors, or RAM purchases of their gas guzzler or dirty diesel overweight SUVs and Pickup Trucks.

Basically... The numbers on the side of pickups tell the tale. I get the impression that what is colloquially referred to as a 'one-and-a-half ton' pickup truck corresponds to...

"When a pickup truck is said to be a 'one-and-a-half-ton' pickup, that means its payload capacity is 1 1/2 tons. Which means the maximum amount of weight it can carry, including passengers, is 3,000 pounds.

"By the way, you can often tell a pickup truck's payload by its name -- or, more correctly, its number. Ford uses the number 150 for its 1500 pound pickups (F150), 250 for its 2500 pound pickups (F250) and so on. GM and Chrysler simply add a zero and use 1500, 2500 and 3500 designations."

-- Car Talk, Ray and Tom
https://www.cartalk.com/content/why-pickup-truck-called-one-and-half-ton...

PART II

Wikipedia is a bit more precise, stating...

"When light-duty trucks were first produced in the United States, they were rated by their payload capacity in tons (e.g., ​1⁄2-, ​3⁄4- and 1-ton). Over time, payload capacities for most domestic pickup trucks have increased while the ton titles have stayed the same. The now-imprecise ton rating is presently used to compare standard sizes, rather than actual capacities."

"In the United States, commercial truck classification is determined based on the vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The classes range from 1–8. Trucks are also classified more broadly by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), which groups classes 1–2 as light duty, 3–6 as medium duty, and 7–8 as heavy duty; a commercial driver's license (CDL) is generally required to operate heavy duty trucks."

Basically another, similar consideration beyond Payload (the amount of weight the truck itself may bear) is Towing Capacity. That is generally rated by class, typically rated by weight range of the trailer, recreational vehicle, or other object towed.

Tow Rating

Class I ______ rated to 2,000 pounds (907 kg)
Class II ______ rated to 3,500 pounds (1,588 kg)
Class III _____ rated to 5,000 pounds (2,268 kg)
Class IV _____ rated to 10,000 pounds (4,536 kg)

PART III

Strangely, this is not neccesarily the same as the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. And, despite the numbers used in typical pickup truck nomenclature, do not correspond to their towing capacity by default.

Table of US GVWR classifications

Class 1 ____ 0–6,000 pounds (0–2,722 kg) | Light Truck
Class 2a ___ 6,001–8,500 pounds (2,722–3,856 kg) | Light Truck
Class 2b ___ 8,501–10,000 pounds (3,856–4,536 kg) | Light/Medium Truck
Class 3 ____ 10,001–14,000 pounds (4,536–6,350 kg) | Medium Truck
Class 4 ____ 14,001–16,000 pounds (6,351–7,257 kg) | Medium Truck
Class 5 ____ 16,001–19,500 pounds (7,258–8,845 kg) | Medium Truck
Class 6 ____ 19,501–26,000 pounds (8,846–11,793 kg) | Medium Truck
Class 7 ____ 26,001–33,000 pounds (11,794–14,969 kg) | Heavy Truck
Class 8 ____ 33,001 pounds (14,969 kg) + | Heavy Truck

Ultimately, I expect the base Tesla Pickup Truck to have a minimum Class III tow rating, with a Class 2a GVWR and a range of 200-to-300 miles when fully loaded at maximum payload while towing at maximum capacity. The Great State of California limits maximum speed while towing to 55 MPH, but I am aware that some States, like Utah, have no such restrictions. So, in the interest of 'laying a hardcore smackdown on ICE' Tesla would be well advised to make sure that range may be attained even at a steady 90 MPH, with a headwind, while driving uphill, so as to tell diesel owners to simply shut up and enjoy the ride. So, available 220+ kWh capacity with 170 kWh minimum for a Crew Cab Dually with Dual Motor All Wheel Drive ought be their goal.

vmulla | 2019年11月6日

@Red,
I’m approaching this from the other end (tempered expectations, non-fanboi perspective) and come to a similar conclusion as you.

I expect the truck to be the truck for the world (think Hino) - not really a pickup in the conventional sense. I expect total rout of the bus, lorry market all across the world. The ‘pickup truck’ label is limited to USA only, the vehicle itself is going to upend the cricket markets the world over.

In the end there will be Y and this truck. The cars and semi are going to be low volume vehicles in comparison.

PART IV

A couple months or so ago, the guys at TFL Truck had a demonstration where they 'failed' to complete a road trip from Colorado to Washington while towing. They are usually pretty fair to Tesla. This particular example seemed rather odd to me. I think they would have been fine if they had simply driven slower and left earlier. But they wanted to 'see' if they could make the trip 'the same way' as they would in an ICE. With reckless abandon, minimum planning, and without conserving energy. No, they couldn't do that. DUH.

Me? I don't like towing or using a roof rack. I think both options are dumb. If it don't fit in the car? It ain't goin'! Simple. However, both my Brothers, my Cousins, and Uncles all like doing it. I don't know why.

WhiteWi | 2019年11月6日

I bet range will be 500 miles or so.

lbowroom | 2019年11月6日

So a 200kWh battery?

jordanrichard | 2019年11月6日

A truck body particularly a pick up truck is perfect for stacking two battery packs, under the cargo bed. That would get you huge range, but more specific, good real world range when hauling/towing stuff. Also as ReD suggested, that would put to it in the commercial weight class, which then makes it eligible for the tax write off.

Bighorn | 2019年11月6日

Very unlikely.

Ross1 | 2019年11月6日

The base model at less than $50k cannot have dual batteries for cost reasons.

What else is missing to meet that price point?

Ross1 | 2019年11月6日

Is it possible there is a 4WD course available near the SpaceX factory?

vmulla: Güdt.

WhiteWI: Yup.

lbowroom: Indeed.

jordanrichard: No. Not stacked. Just better batteries thanks to Maxwell, HIBAR, and Jeff Dahn.

Bighorn is always right.

I think Tesla will need another Gigafactory, maybe somewhere in Texas, between Pecos & Sweetwater. Room to build the Tesla Semi too. Lots of Sun and high winds there. I-20 for easy road Delivery. Maybe an incentive for the Texas Assembly in Austin to finally approve Direct Sales there? That would be nice.

DEALERSHIP (SALES) LOCATIONS IN TEXAS
QTY ___ COMPANY
268 ___ Ford Motor Co (F, $8.92, -0.095, 35.48B)
238 ___ Chevrolet (GM, $38.42, +0.19, 54.89B)
195 ___ RAM (FCAU, $15.88, 0.00, 24.87B)
__0 ___ TESLA (TSLA, $326.58, +6.98, 58.86B)

Amazing that literally HUNDREDS of domestic 'independent franchised dealerships'are desperately afraid to face direct sales competition from Tesla on an even playing field, isn't it? You'd think they'd have more confidence in their ability to sell 'more cars' if their distribution method is truly superior, right? In 2013, the Tesla Model S outsold all direct competitors among 'large luxury flagship sedans', and it still does in 2019. The Tesla Model 3 outsold all contemporaries among 'entry level luxury sedans' in 2018 and so far in 2019. So much for those 'there's only a limited market for expensive electric cars', 'it's just pent up demand, a passing fad', and 'they have no sustainable demand' theories, right? Yeah.

vmulla | 2019年11月6日

“ What else is missing to meet that price point?”@Ross1
Aluminum chassis
AWD*
Fancy wheels*
Long range battery*
Premium interior*

* will be offered as upgrade options

I expect the initial premium truck to cost just shy of 100K

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年11月12日

vmulla: More likely the Performance edition of the truck would possibly approach $100,000 as opposed to the Premium version. As I have pointed out before, Ford offers the KING RANCH and PLATINUM trims of their pickup trucks for a reason. People buy them, use them for 'business purposes' at least 50% of all road trips taken from September through December of one year, then take the Section 179 Business Tax Credit during the next year's tax season. They never have to drive them to/for work ever again if they don't want to. And those commercial trucks can certainly cost upwards of $70,000 easily.

$72,340 ___ Ford Super Duty F-450 King Ranch
$75,585 ___ Ford Super Duty F-450 Platinum

Prashanthsharma | 2019年11月12日

Any idea if Tesla will be at the LA Auto Show ? If so, will Model Y and/or the Truck be there?

Would love to see it in person.

vmulla | 2019年11月12日

@ReD,
After giving your input a thought I feel $100k is probably going to be lower end price point for the truck. I mean $100K is normal for a X, and I expect the truck to be so much more than the X in terms of power and capabilities. So I'm getting comfy with $100K lower end price. Also, it will not be evenly matched with a Rivian - I just don't expect that from Tesla. With Rivian touching the 100k price point, I expect the Tesla beast to be that much more pricier.

gballant4570 | 2019年11月12日

After Elon's "less than $50k" statement, the low end price at some point needs to actually BE less than $50k. I refuse to get comfy with a $100k price. I will buy one, and I will not pay $100k. I will pay more than $50k tho.... But I don't want a Rivian - I just want a truck that I can put my boat in & out with, drive otherwise as well, and that can be reasonably efficient (decent range) while towing or not. I might want to take that boat down the road a few hundred miles.

WhiteWi | 2019年11月12日

55 starting price 100 top trim

andy.connor.e | 2019年11月12日

I dont think the base model is going to have alot of range. Maybe 250, but 300 would be good. Pickup would have more drag than the Model X, so it would be hard to have a competitive price between the truck and Model X if it got more than 300 miles.

However

Thinking while talking, the Model X was extremely complicated to build so thats part of its price, Model S as well. They're able to build a car 20% smaller than the Model S and get 310 miles of range with 75kWh at $48,500. I think the truck would DEFINITELY cost more than $1500 more than M3, so i think we're going to have a low range base model. Maybe im wrong, but think about this. You will be able to buy a Tesla pickup truck for less money than the LR Model Y.
Sounds pretty great idk about yooooooooooooooooooou guysssssssssssssssssssss.....

vmulla | 2019年11月12日

Let's say the truck packed 2 motors from Model 3. That's less power than the semi(4 motors), but still great power for a pickup. Now, let's assume 250 mile range. The price of that arrangement would be that of 2 Model 3s. That works out to 80K for the lower end version.

That's exactly why I'm comfy with a $100K truck for a decently equipped truck.