Forums

I saw traffic cones today!

I saw traffic cones today!

Not a biggie, but I was driving past a few traffic cones at a building site. They showed up on my screen. Too damn cool! One step forward towards FSD. Congratulations, Mr. Musk! That was pretty cool, even if it didn’t affect my ride in any way . . .

CharleyBC | 2019年11月8日

Software version?

vmulla | 2019年11月8日

And hardware package too. Please.

EVRider | 2019年11月8日

I think the traffic cone recognition was added in 2019.36.1. I don't have that yet.

nhunguyen | 2019年11月8日

I saw them too. But not on screen !

inconel | 2019年11月8日

I did not see them!

bddaughe | 2019年11月8日

I had read that traffic cone recognition is only available on vehicles who have HW3 in addition to 36.1.

in7 | 2019年11月8日

Life doesn't get much better. Savor the moment.

BuffaloBillsFan | 2019年11月9日

@in7. You are exactly right. All is OK with the world now that my M3 can detect (and count) traffic cones. HW3 and 36.1, I billieve. 4 traffic cones showed up as 4 traffic cones on the display. 8 cones showed ups as 8 traffic cones. Color me impressed. The locations were not perfect, but pretty damn close to perfect.

@in7. You are exactly right. All is OK with the world now that my M3 can detect (and count) traffic cones. HW3 and 36.1, I billieve. 4 traffic cones showed up as 4 traffic cones on the display. 8 cones showed ups as 8 traffic cones. Color me impressed. The locations were not perfect, but pretty damn close to perfect.

Sorry for the double-post

vmulla | 2019年11月10日
wayne | 2019年11月10日

So does this mean HW 2.5 owners who purchased FSD can get the HW 3.0 chip?

vmulla | 2019年11月10日

@wayne,
I don't think visualization of the cones counts as an FSD feature that requires HW3 upgrade. Owners who didn't pay anything for FSD are seeing the traffic cones as long as they have HW3. So it's just a nice visualization that doesn't mean anything for FSD.

Bighorn | 2019年11月10日

@wayne
They're starting to.

EVRider | 2019年11月10日

@vmulla: I think the traffic cones influence how Autopilot navigates construction zones, so it does mean something for FSD if cars without HW3 can't detect the cones.

wayne | 2019年11月10日

@Bighorn Good news.

vmulla | 2019年11月10日

EVRider | November 10, 2019
@vmulla: I think the traffic cones influence how Autopilot navigates construction zones, so it does mean something for FSD if cars without HW3 can't detect the cones.
----

Absolutely, I'm just sharing that the cones showing on the screen don't mean anything for FSD functionality *now*.

stevebannell | 2019年11月10日

On the A14 works today, the FSD reacted to the cones reducing the lanes from double to single lane.

SteveWin1 | 2019年11月10日

All new cars being released today have HW3, so unless the new computer chip is the limiting factor for current production rate (not likely), you'd think they could pump out a few extras and start upgrading those of us who paid for FSD. Seems like there are now features that those of us who put down a deposit, waited for years, and paid more for our cars (even counting tax rebates) didn't get. Time for HW3 retrofits!

Bighorn | 2019年11月10日

@Steve
Like I said, they’re starting to do retrofits. S/X upgrades started a couple months ago.

BuffaloBillsFan | 2019年11月11日

I’m just excited to see the cones! And they are absolutely counted. Four cones at the corner showed up as 4 cones on the screen. Eight cones on the side of the road showed up as 8 cones. Pretty impressive! One more step forward to FSD, although I think that is still a long way off . . .

Scarab | 2019年11月11日

I got the 2019.36.2.1 update today. Took the car out on an errand. The car recognized some traffic cones (neighbors tend to use them to mark their mailbox or drive ways on poorly lit street). However it failed to recognize most of the cones, however it did seem to recognize about every other fire hydrant (painted red with white tops) as a traffic cone.

vmulla | 2019年11月11日

@Scarab,
Fire hydrants being recognized as traffic cones is excellent news. We can expect correct fire hydrant recognition in future upgrades, I look forward to these tiny glimpses of the future. Thanks for sharing :)

Scarab | 2019年11月11日

@vmulla, hopefully it isn't just a glitch. It would be nice for the system to recognize fire hydrants if only to help avoid illegal parking.

walnotr | 2019年11月12日

Last summer on Ver 9 driving NoAP the car decided it would be the perfect time to change lanes to the right just as the cones were directing traffic to the left. Had to do a little scrambling to get back on track. I was really looking forward to trying out the cone recognition. Now I’m more anxious than ever to get my FSD chip.

stingray.don | 2019年11月12日

Orange barrels show up as traffic cones as well. So it is sophisticated enough to recognize varies types of cones. Interestingly, it does not recognizes a traffic cone if it is laying on its side.

calvin940 | 2019年11月12日

The Electrek article title (and content where they reference the production date of the vehicle as the fork property) aren't correct since it was already negated with the first pre April 2019 Model 3 fitted with the new HW3 some time ago.

The fork is about the HW version and not production date.

jimglas | 2019年11月12日

but does it see dead people?

vmulla | 2019年11月12日

jimglas | November 12, 2019
but does it see dead people?
---

It does, and it even brakes for them :))
Did you miss everything about phantom braking ;)?

WhiteWi | 2019年11月12日

@vmulla
+1
Now I see why our M3 breaks for no reason )

WhiteWi | 2019年11月12日

Brakes *

WhiteWi | 2019年11月12日

By the way saw cones too today. Pretty cool stuff. Car also thinks my attached garage is a bus lol

bp | 2019年11月12日

As @vmulla said above, it appears to be the generation of the build, not the features paid for, that makes the difference. I have a May ‘19 build and no FSD/EAP features, and I started seeing the cones today.

WhiteWi | 2019年11月12日

I can't stop smiling
https://imgur.com/a/OHB7WtJ

WEST TEX EV | 2019年11月12日

Very good progress. This will allow vehicle to miss “unknown/unanticipated road conditions/hazards”. Just 1 step closer to avoid collisions. FSD = 80% “collision avoidance” (And 20% nav)

inconel | 2019年11月12日

You don't need HW3 to see dead people. I see them sometimes in my garage in my HW2 car.

vmulla | 2019年11月12日

If anyone has a traffic cone can they try to see if the car brakes for it? Just to confirm if it's just showing the cones, or if it's actually doing something with the info.

jimglas | 2019年11月12日

mine ignored some cones today (P3D- 2019.36.2.1)

bp | 2019年11月12日

FWIW, I had the coincidental (mis?) fortune of driving through a bunch of construction zones today, and can confirm that each of the following distinct types of traffic “cone” were all identified as traffic cones (all displayed using the same image on the display though):

- the tall skinny orange plastic poles on the black disk base
- the giant orange barrels
- regular conical traffic cones

Each of these I noticed are the same color and have reflective white stripes at the top. Kinda cool to see how this feature is evolving.

jebinc | 2019年11月12日

Every time I see this thread's title/topic, I think of the movie, Six Sense...

"...I see dead people..."

Don't know why, I just do... Thanks for allowing me to share that ;-)

shank15217 | 2019年11月12日

Even fire hydrants show up as cones, hehe

stingray.don | 2019年11月12日

Today, there were traffic cones on the shoulder. I received an alert to change lanes to move away from traffic cones and use stalk to confirm. Pretty cool to see it respond to the cones and not just display them.

BuffaloBillsFan | 2019年11月12日

All very cool!

Nice to know that our cars are not just adding cool graphics, but also responding to the cones. As for what they look like on the screen, that is completely irrelevant to me. A barrel, a small stick-like cone or a true cone. They are all markers that a car might need to do something. How they appear on my computer screen is a matter of profound indifference to me.

I also see dead people, but usually just at viewings . . .

Hehe?

All very cool!

Nice to know that our cars are not just adding cool graphics, but also responding to the cones. As for what they look like on the screen, that is completely irrelevant to me. A barrel, a small stick-like cone or a true cone. They are all markers that a car might need to do something. How they appear on my computer screen is a matter of profound indifference to me.

I also see dead people, but usually just at viewings . . .

Hehe?

Again, sorry for the double post.

RayNLA | 2019年11月12日

I haven’t seen traffic cones yet, but the release notes state that I will. From what I understand this confirms that my 4/19 build has HW3. I don’t have FSD but I suspect that HW3 will have more pleasant surprises in the future.