Forums

Question for Early Model 3 Owners

Question for Early Model 3 Owners

I am currently on the Model Y waitlist. I waited on my Model 3 b/c I wanted AWD and it seems that some of the kinks were worked out in the meantime. Have some concerns about being a Model Y early adopter. If you were a Model 3 early adopter would you do it again or have you sworn off early adoption and would wait until kinks are worked out?

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年11月11日

It really depends on who you talk to concerning the definition of "early adopter". We have had ours since Aug '18 and back then the forum was flooded with FUD about QA. The bottom line is the cars are brand new covered by a brand new car warranty. Tesla is good about taking care of issues so I, personally, have no concerns about being an early buyer of new models.

SamO | 2019年11月11日

I got one of the first M3 in 2017. Will do it all over again with the truck.

But . . .my 2nd Model 3 purchased in 2019 is much better.

jebinc | 2019年11月11日

OP - Keep in mind that the Y is largely based on the 3 platform, so the "kinks" should be much less than when the original 3 rolled out...

TeslaTap.com | 2019年11月11日

About 75% of the Model Y is the same as the Model 3. Most of the differences are going to be body panels and rear seats. I wouldn't be concerned.

hokiegir1 | 2019年11月11日

I was in the 2nd round of non-prior-owner line waiter configuration invites, and took delivery about a month later, at the end of April 2018. I'd have no issues being an early purchaser again.

charles.a.braun | 2019年11月11日

One of the advantages of being an early VIN Model 3 owner (mine is < 2000) was there were no lines at service centers to get the bugs worked out and trust me, my car had plenty of problems in those first few months of ownership.

All were looked at promptly though and able to be resolved in a reasonable time window, for the most part.

It is not possible for that to happen today in my area. For instance it took 6 weeks to replace my tow hook cover a few months ago. That would have been an in and out the door in a few minutes, no appointment necessary, event 23 months ago when I first took delivery.

bjrosen | 2019年11月11日

I wouldn't buy a Toyota the first year of production let alone a Tesla, it's always a good idea to wait a year so that they can get the bugs out. That said the introduction of the Model Y should be a whole lot smoother than the Model 3. Tesla did several things during the Model 3's introduction that no experienced manufacturer would do. 1) They ramped up their production numbers by an order of magnitude because the Model 3 was their first high volume car. 2) The car was entirely new, it shared very few components with the S and the X. The legacy manufactures never introduce an entirely new car, the bulk of the car uses components from their parts bin, only a few components might be completely new. 3) They built it on an entirely new production line with robots that they had never used before. Legacy manufacturers retool existing lines for their new cars and when they introduce things like new robots the test them on pilot lines before using them for full production. Tesla didn't bother with a pilot line, they just pulled the trigger and tried to go for 0 to full production in a few months. The Model Y shares 75% of it's components with the Model 3 and of those that are new I suspect that most of them just involve sheet metal, they won't be the tricky bits. Hopefully they've learned their lesson about running pilot production before going to full production, that will give them a chance to iron out the surprises before they ramp up. Even so I'd wait a bit before buying a Y especially because you already have a 3 so you aren't living a Tesla deprived life.

Bighorn | 2019年11月11日

I also wanted AWD, so I waited until August of 2018 and got one. Haven't been back to service in 41k miles and almost 15 months now.

jrzapata | 2019年11月11日

Day 1 reservation holder. Received delivery on July 2018. Have had 0 issues with the car that required me to take it to the service center. Other than a rock hitting my roof and needing a new glass panel (Not Tesla's fault)
Now I have a little noise when the right window rolls up, will probably take it just because is bugging me, but it is not a big deal at all.

JAD | 2019年11月11日

Bought an early S, bought 2 early 3's, all have been great. Neither 3 has even been to a service center. Mobile service did install the rear spoiler at my house six months after I got the car, but I don't count that as a problem.

I have been lucky as jd powers numbers show on average there is one issue in every car for the first 90 days off ownership, for all brands. Get the car, be safe and enjoy it as it will always improve if you wait.

miliapa | 2019年11月11日

My experience on TM3: Early adopter = More $s.

If you can wait till prices come down, I would suggest you do so.

Pepperidge | 2019年11月11日

I will wait for HW3.5 (or 4.0) which will be x3 faster.

Mike UpNorth_ | 2019年11月11日

Few things come to mind for me....day 2 rez holder of the 3....Received mine 10/3/18....I have a 'red' when wet roof. Heard they stopped doing that on cars now....Some people before me had both top pieces of glass as red when wet....I also have free lifetime 4G (per an Elon tweet).....So there are other benefits of being an 'early adopter'.

Iwantmy3 | 2019年11月11日

I got my car in June 2018. At the time, I was in need of a car to replace my aging ICE vehicle. Timing was important.

I am in no similar rush to get my next vehicle (model Y?). I am happy to allow the technology and the competition to develop and mature for a few more years. I will also be happy to let the prices settle out.

rxlawdude | 2019年11月11日

Day one reservation holder. M3 delivered on 12/28/17 (VIN 138x) and no substantial problems. Certainly none related to driveability.

I'm probably going to reserve a Y.

A few other benefits of being an 'early adopter' came to mind;

Red roof when wet (1 or 2 glass panels, depending on how 'early' you were)
Free 4G (pending a tweet)
The plugs came with the car.

mrburke | 2019年11月11日

@Baltfan - If there is a configuration you want, then get it. I wanted AWD and waited for it. Took delivery in Sept 18th and have not needed service.

I'm REALY HAPPY!

Be the first kid on the block with a new "Y"

charles.a.braun | 2019年11月11日

@Mike - Dont forget the all important Alcantara interior.

One of the things I like best about my car.

@charles

What is that?

Bighorn | 2019年11月11日

Are you familiar with rich Corinthian leather? It's the fabric version of that. Some Lambos have alcantara dashes.

mrburke | 2019年11月11日

@Bighorn - that would be "Fine Corinthian leather"

gballant4570 | 2019年11月11日

Higher trim pricing for earlier Model 3 buyers is not nearly as likely for Model Y. Higher production should be very possible from the get go. issues experienced by early Model 3 buyers are very unlikely to translate.

Now the pickup is probably going to be different, perhaps a bit more like the Model 3.M y plan is to get one, but not quite as early in production as I did the 3. I don't think I want the highest trim in the truck, but we'll see. I'm thinking I'll get one in 2023, but could be tempted to advance that to 2022 fairly easily, depending on production & availability along with trim levels.

Bighorn | 2019年11月11日
SamO | 2019年11月11日

I showed off the Alcantara yesterday at the LA Tesla Owners Club gathering in Malibu.

Jelly.

vmulla | 2019年11月11日

Vin 3110. Jan 2018 production. Not alcantara early, but early enough for this discussion.

The question is if I'd be ready to be an early adopter for the Y. My answer is No, I'm not ready to be an early adopter for the Y.

There are only 2 things that are noticeably better on the newer cars (any car made after May/Jun 2018)
- better road noise isolation
- better rear seat design
These are not tech or drivetrain issues, but they still matter. Keep this in mind when folks tell you that only the form factor is different between the 3 and Y. Tech and drivetrain on the car has been rock solid. Tesla needed real world feedback on a few things to improve upon the great design.

I don't have the interest to be an early adopter anymore because I had 17 distinct Issues on my car - all minor, and all were addressed by service. But I still had to take my car to service. I know I cannot get the attention from service like I did before May '18

I was eager and enthusiastic to be an early adopter for the 3, and I'm happy I did what I did. But I'm not ready for a do over - that's a one time unique experience.

I reserved the 7 seater RWD Y to avoid any teething issues with the Y, I also think that trim will not be available going forward. I know I might still have some things to deal with the rear seats, but that's ok.

SalisburySam | 2019年11月11日

I tend to be an early adopter, and I know the extra cost that typically entails. Bought two Acuras the first year they were available (1986), one Legend and one Integra. Two of the best cars I’ve ever owned and held onto them for many years. I also ordered a 2011 Nissan LEAF but actually got a 2012 SL. Great vehicle, still have it, but have dearly paid for the dying battery now delivering only 30 miles on a 100% charge. Ordered a Model 3 in April, 2018 and my 06/18 car was delivered to me July 19, 2018; it has had no need for the Service Center at all. However, I’ve taken it there for my first tire rotation at 6250 miles and again for a bodywork touch up after a parking lot incident. Both times no charge and both times had a TSB applied for apparently non-catastrophic items, also at no charge.

As a serial early adopter, yeah, I’d do it again. For the truck? Doubtful. For the Y? Maybe but I’ve not committed yet.

spuzzz123 | 2019年11月11日

Vin 10k. Car has been great. Zero service issues. I was concerned I wasn’t giving them enough runway to work out the production kinks. But seems that wasn’t the case. Only quasi regret is that I could have waited 6 months and got an awd for close to the same price. Didn’t realize prices would come down that fast. Don’t think that same issue will apply to y.

jamilworm | 2019年11月11日

Didn't they redo the electrical wiring system in the Y compared to the 3? That may be a reason to wait and see. I doubt the same price drops will occur as with the 3 since I think a lot of that was to offset tax credit phaseout.

4barkie | 2019年11月11日

Sorry to be off topic here but if the Y is based on the 3 how the heck do you fit 7 adults in it? All under 4' tall? Does it have to be bigger as in a larger frame?

gballant4570 | 2019年11月11日

4barkie, the car sits higher. Higher roof allows 3rd row jump seats.

CASEMAN | 2019年11月11日

Don’t wait! Get what you want that meets your needs and won’t break the bank. I just got my 2nd Model 3; 1st is VIN 26,2XX (RWD) and this is one is 514,XXX (P3).
There will always be pros and cons to now or later.

kevin_rf | 2019年11月11日

Day One reservation holder, held out for the LR AWD. Received it Sept. 7, 2018. One of the earlier batches of AWD's,. Been rock solid so far.

Btw. Also bought a Gen1 '02 Prius the year it came out along with one of the first Gen 2 '05 Prius's when it came out. Never had any serious issues with either. The '05 is still on the road with 400k miles.

In a nutshell, yes I would buy an early build Model Y if I was in the market for one.

vmulla | 2019年11月11日
TexasBob | 2019年11月11日

FWIW we have a may 18 build and a july 18 build. We’ve had a major issue with each (motor replace on the first and computer replacement on the second). There are definitely improvements even in the 60 day build difference. They fixed an issue with rear trunk water and the rear seats and a number of other small things. We also got a some freebies that later owners did not like lifetime LTE, usb cables, 14-50 adapters, and the all important $7,500 tax credit. We paid more but net of the tax credit came out ahead. Especially when we did the $2k fsd upgrade.

We are not interested in the Y, so not getting one of those. But probably will do an early preorder on the truck because we live in Houston and it is our civic duty to drive around in an electric pickup just to show people. :-)

Especially with Tesla, which revises the production vehicle frequently, even a couple of months can make a big difference in quality.

All that said, we love the model 3s and are glad to have them.

M3phan | 2019年11月11日

Day 1 Rez, actually during the online presentation before Elon finished, they got my money.

Some Pros: NO SILLY PEDESTRIAN NOISE MAKER!!!, full tax credit, unicorn car in the city for quite a while,, unicorn car trim (LR RWD), more months of fun driving, easy access to SC without reservation (literally drive in and get immediate service with multiple techs working on car at same time), access to Enhanced Autopilot package which gave quite a few nice features over current basic AP.

Fewer Cons: a few SC visits for some fit and finish issues, a couple bigger ones (replace computer and replace hvac fan system), choosing to live with some remaining minor fit/finish issues that have been improved in newer models, a bit noisier cabin than the latest models,

Would I do it again? Probably. I’ve always been an early adopter for the things I like. I know what I’m signing up for as a result.

fahmihermawan175 | 2019年11月12日

I don't know about Model 3, but Model S has two SIM cards; one is for Tesla's private data, and the other is for customer data. So you might get lucky if you ask at the service center.

But the real question is, "Why do you want to do this? What advantage do you gain from using your own SIM card, vs. the one Tesla provides and pays for?"

gmr6415 | 2019年11月12日

In 1997 I bought a Dodge Dakota 4WD. It was the first year of the new body style. The front brakes won't last more then 13k miles and the ball joints won't last more then 30k miles. Both were under engineered and redesigned years later...after the warranty had expired, so no upgrade for me.

Seeing on how the Y is pretty much a M3 with a slightly expanded body I wouldn't think you'd have similar issues.

nwfan | 2019年11月12日

Vin 8000's - Early panel alignments repaired quickly.
Nothing in over 18 months since above service.

Yes - another TX resident interested in pickup.

Manjushr | 2019年11月12日

LR AWD 2018... I would recommend waiting on the early Y. We are still perplexed that all 3's now come standard with AP, while early adopters are the only cars that don't have it (need to pay $3k if we want it..). The juveniles come out in force on these forums when it is brought up.. but the fact is we paid $56k for a car w/o AP, and now the same car is $50k and comes with AP. So we are looking at $59k vs $50k... 18% ! If you are willing to do the "used inventory" then the same car with +/-4,000 mi sells for about $46k. So anyways, early adopters took a hit on resale value.

aperfectecho | 2019年11月12日

One thing to keep in mind no matter what you decide-the car you get on delivery day is NOT the best your car will be. I am always amazed when my car becomes better, not worse with time. Just got another 5% power increase, (I think that makes 2 since I got mine Sept/2018?), smart summon, better AP, etc.
Yes, price will fluctuate up and down, but barring a lemon, you'll get a great car no matter when you order it

vmulla | 2019年11月12日

@aperfectecho,
Tesla improves everything about the car constantly, not just the software. The pace of improvements and corrections seem to be faster early on.
If we're talking about just the software improvements, or the working guts of the car you're absolutely right - there is no reason to wait. However, there are some benefits to waiting until the production has truly ramped up.

steveishere | 2019年11月12日

@Manjushr There was a $5625 federal tax difference between getting a car in 2018 and now, and we (2018-ers) gets a much cheaper fsd upgrade. The delta isn't too much if not in favor of the 2018-ers.

As for original topic:
I would do the same if clock ticks back to 2018, the fun of being among the first large batch of 3 owners outweighted the minor "service hell" in the early months.

On the other hand, getting first batch of Y will not be the same as getting an earlier batch of 3. There will no longer be federal tax benefit to sweeten the deal but at the same time, there will be a lot less risk involved since 75% of Y is the same as 3, and Tesla will far more large scale manufacturing and service experience in 2020 than 2018. So I am not sure if the two are valid comparison.

AWDTesla | 2019年11月12日

I'd wait for the MSRP price drops.

vmulla | 2019年11月12日

@AWDTesla,
You would be waiting forever, no?
If the cost of the car is $5K more than a comparably equipped 3, then I think it has hit the lowest possible price.

I would be comfortable to buy the Y after they pump out 3 months' worth of vehicles.

Manjushr | 2019年11月12日

@steveishare - I hesitate to engage the passions on this forum.. but, the FSD upgrade is $7000. for a 2018 car, or a new one. So, if we 2018ers wanted FSD now, we would need to pay $3k in AP, and $7k FSD, putting our LR-AWD M3 total at $66k. same car off shelf now would be $57k. All of us enjoy the car, but yes, early adopters did pay more...

Manjushr | 2019年11月12日

@steveishare - I hesitate to engage the passions on this forum.. but, the FSD upgrade is $7000. for a 2018 car, or a new one. So, if we 2018ers wanted FSD now, we would need to pay $3k in AP, and $7k FSD, putting our LR-AWD M3 total at $66k. same car off shelf now would be $57k. All of us enjoy the car, but yes, early adopters did pay more...

CharleyBC | 2019年11月12日

It depends how you define “early.”

We got ours in July 2018. I think that puts us in about the first eighth of all Model 3s built to date, so pretty early. Our experience has been excellent. Our car has not yet needed to visit service.

But my son got his Model 3 three months earlier. Compared to him, we have the benefit of several improvements, notably seat redesign and glass sealing.

vmulla | 2019年11月12日

CharleyBC | November 12, 2019
It depends how you define “early.”
----
+1

I'd say anyone in the lower end of the production S curve is early.
https://www.xautoworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/model-3-production...

RayNLA | 2019年11月12日

Get what you want, when you can.
Appreciate, share and enjoy!
Life is too short...

Pages