Forums

Turning Non EV People. One Discussion at a Time

Turning Non EV People. One Discussion at a Time

Now that I have a Tesla, everyone has questions and doubts about EVs. I love sitting and explaining the FACTS of EVs to anyone that is willing to listen.
I should be an EV Salesman.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年12月7日

Around here people understand you are not cool unless you own a Tesla. So many Tesla's here, the pressure to be cool is off the hook!

TickTock | 2019年12月7日

Often it just takes getting them past their resistance to change. One person (who is a good friend) was so (negatively) excited with the CyberTruck reveal that she sought me out and went on a rant about how only stupid people would buy that abomination, etc. I simply shrugged and said "If the specs at production are anywhere near what they claimed at the reveal, I'm buying one" Didn't try to teach her anything just reset her to think about specs and capabilities instead of a knee jerk reaction to "different." Yesterday we were having dinner and now she wants to buy one. Score.

jallred | 2019年12月7日

I've been through this with my wife a few times. There was DVR, iPhone, cutting cable. When I bought a DVR and brought it home my wife said it was no better than the VCR. When it came to EV, she didn't need much convincing.

Lately though she has been asking me what we are missing about EV. She thinks there is something we are missing that is going to bite us down the road. But that feeling subsides and then she asks me why everyone isn't buying an EV.

I'm amazed that the questions just keep coming. There really isn't an engine? It really doesn't take gas? It can go further than 40 miles? Is it fast? What if you want to go on a trip? How can you afford such an expensive car?

wiboater4 | 2019年12月7日

Most of my older friends are just to bull headed to change . Use the excuse of two long of stops on long trips to charge right now. and that Tesla's are to expensive when there are so many cheap gas vehicles . Latest is the Cybertruck it just to ugly. Next will be it can't be used as a 5th wheel tow vehicle because of the sides and the tool box in the floor etc. People here are up on all the specs because we like the cars most people don't seek out the full information.

Scrannel | 2019年12月7日

If there's one thing people can get behind it's their own ignorance. And, of course, you confront that at your peril. I let my goddaughter drive my Performance 3 (and she is, actually, a jet pilot); she loved it and went home to research the car. Of course, she hit the liars' storm front and asked me about all that. I sent her science links and reminded her that those people who trash something without reason, live their lives based on hate... and fear. From which all ignorance doth emerge.

Tronguy | 2019年12月7日

@jailred: The SO and I have had those, "Where's the catch?" conversations. The big one was in 2008 when we went to a home show in NJ and picked up info on solar panel systems from PSE&G (local power company) and several sets of installers.
We're both engineers. Set up on the dining room table, spread out papers, and started doing some serious math. After an hour, we look at each other and start going, "Catch, catch, where's the catch?"
Then we played devil's advocate at each other for a day. A week later, we called installers and got quotes. System's still going strong ten years later and we've definitely made back our money and then some :).

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年12月7日

What sets Tesla apart from other EV manufacturers is that Elon has a great understanding of the realistic and practical reasons why a BEV doesn’t fit everyone’s lifestyle.

As range increases, charge time decreases, and places to charge up become more available, the barriers to EV adoption come down.

Pg3ibew | 2019年12月7日

One guy told me, The idiot Musk broke the window on the truck. They are supposed to he unbreakable. The car sucks.
My response was, are the windows on your F150 unbreakable?
His response was, BUT BUT......
I was like But nothing. You either want to learn about EVs or you want to make excuses. Your choice.

WW_spb | 2019年12月7日

Disclaimer!
Please ignore long time Troll that was banned before and his nonsense about non existing tech as cross track and etc.
Thank you.

Pg3ibew | 2019年12月7日

@white, I dont let the haters bother me.

Pg3ibew | 2019年12月7日

Another guy is making excuses that he needs a pick up Because of...... whatever.
I am like, ok great, what does your wife drive? He said a xxx car. I was like great, buy her a Model 3.

WW_spb | 2019年12月7日

Favorite excuse is battery production and disposal is worth than anything else up there. Second: it's too expensive. 3: But unless you use solar in your house you still burn coal to drive your car.
All are sorry ass excuses.

WW_spb | 2019年12月7日

Worse*

WW_spb | 2019年12月7日

There is no such a thing as cross track .
Also Fish is long time Troll that was banned under different nickname name. Don't believe his lies and false statements.
Thank you.

@FISHEV Evidence has been presented that you changed your name from EaglesPDX to FISHEV, why did you change your name?

raqball | 2019年12月7日

Submitted by Pg3ibew on December 7, 2019 (1st Comment | Make a Comment)
Now that I have a Tesla, everyone has questions and doubts about EVs.
-------------------------------------
People are just uneducated...

1. People think the M3 is $70+K. When I tell them it's 40K they are like WOW
2. People think the range is 100 miles. When I tell them the range they are impressed
3. Someone actually asked me the other day if you can finance a Tesla. They thought you had to pay full price
4. People think you still have to order an M3 and wait years to get it.

Those are just a few that pop into my head...

Joshan | 2019年12月7日

I have had 2 people ask where the gas is. I tell them there is no engine and they giggle and reply "no really where is the gas".

Someone else told me I better be careful charging when it rains as they read that people are dying when charging to electrocution.

There really are morons everywhere, people are truly stupid and believe every news article they read on facebook.

FISHEV | 2019年12月7日

"People think the M3 is $70+K. When I tell them it's 40K they are like WOW"

Or $100k even. Family walking past the Vancouver SC when full, 50% $100k Tesla and 50% Model 3's. Dad is counting them and telling the kids that it was a "over a million dollars worth of cars right there".

I think most people looking at getting an EV are a more educated on the topic while random people who never considered a hybrid or PHEV just don't know or care about it ask the above questions.

Question I get is "Does it really drive itself" which due to Tesla promotion and accidents is probably what people think most about Tesla vs. it being an EV.

Pg3ibew | 2019年12月7日

People asking me about Sleeping as the car drives.
They ask about Oranges in the steering wheel.
Then I ask if they believe every you tube video they watch. That usually gets them to smirk. Like idiots. LOL

I always get asked about maintenance. My first response is always, WHAT DO YOU PAY TO MAINTAIN YOUR GAS CAR? And what do you maintain? Well, you don't need to maintain those things on an EV!!!

Pg3ibew | 2019年12月7日

I guess people are just looking for reasons NOT to buy an EV.

Pg3ibew | 2019年12月7日

Another of my favorite responses is, Are we still watching TVs made in the 1950s?
Then why are we driving cars with 1900s technology?

rob | 2019年12月7日

I can't wait to use this one from carlk

carlk | July 16, 2019
:
All one needs to know is refineries use a lot of electricity. It takes about 6 kWh of electricity, good for ~25 miles of EV driving, to get one gallon of gas. The argument should stop right there.

jallred | 2019年12月7日

We have 2 x Prius. 1 x Panamera E-Hybrid 1 x Stealth M3 1 x LR RWD M3 1 x LR AWD M3. One of the reps just got a used 2017 Model S. - fish

Out of how many people? What kind of profession?

Seems like it would be hard for you to walk the line between ev evangelist and Tesla naysayer.

KAM6 | 2019年12月7日

FISHE why do you need to use a supercharger so much? No plug at your house?

SamO | 2019年12月7日

Just let them ride in the car. It sells itself.

FISHEV | 2019年12月7日

"No plug at your house?"

Correct. I think a lot of Model 3 owners don't have home charging and were trying to make it work via the public charging network.

Tesla has a great network but keeps owners trapped in it by not providing the CCS adapter needed to use other public fast chargers.

KAM6 | 2019年12月7日

Don't you have solar panels FISHE?

He claims he has panels, he also claimed his pedo buddy rawballs has seen his panels but rawballs said they only met once at the SC. The stories have many lies and holes.

FISHEV | 2019年12月7日

"Don't you have solar panels"

8.4kW system. 120% over need so I'm pumping a Tesla load of solar into the system if not into the car.

KAM6 | 2019年12月7日

So again... Why not outdoor outlet to charge your car?

vmulla | 2019年12月7日

@SamO is right. Just let them ride in the car

EAPme | 2019年12月7日

Fish = Catfish

Don't be Manti Te'o 'd

Back to the OP. Yes, I think we all have a bit of a role in helping folks understand how EV's work and the environmental and cost benefits.

FISHEV | 2019年12月7日

" Why not outdoor outlet to charge your car?"

I posted it several times but the delete gang deleted it. Doesn't really matter anyway, many of us don't have home charging.

KAM6 | 2019年12月7日

@FISHE so you could charge at home but you choose to speak for those who can't?

FISHEV | 2019年12月7日

" so you could charge at home but you choose to speak for those who can't?"

Nope.

KAM6 | 2019年12月7日

You live in a house without outlets?

Cswan | 2019年12月7日

Most of my immediate family are progressive and energy-savvy. I was the king if Thanksgiving this year. I showed and drove most of my siblings, parents and cousins, and they were all very impressed, as I expected.

But what really made me grin was Grandad. 93 years pld, super conservative, red hat wearing, gun toting gentleman farmer. Kind that writes annual missives outlining the choice scriptures he is certain will aid me and my children on our path to salvation. Has ever only owned Ford trucks and GMC cars.

He was the first in line to get the Tesla experience. After the normal speal, he looked me in the eye and said:

"But where was it made?"

To which, I could proudly say, right here in the US of A, grandad.

By the time the turkey was served, he was asking for my referral code!

Scrannel | 2019年12月7日

Also had the thanksgiving ride-a-thon. I found three things were solid sales pitches: 1) Never have to go to a gas station again. (I charge at home); 2) No more expensive service visits to dealer. 3) They admitted they had a friend with an EV, who loved it. Only later, like pie time, did someone bring up how much they would save not using gas.

WW_spb | 2019年12月7日

Disclaimer!
FishEV is long time Troll that has been banned under different Nick. Be advised of his false and outright lie narrative about Tesla.
Thank you.

KAM6 | 2019年12月7日

I like that you quoted my question but didn't answer it.

WW_spb | 2019年12月7日

@KAM6
He typical strategy

WW_spb | 2019年12月7日

@KAM6
His typical strategy

jallred | 2019年12月7日

How many panels does it take to get 8.4kw?

FISHEV | 2019年12月7日

Answered all your questions once. Got snark from you for it and you and BFF's deleted it. So why ask again?

How many kWh's does it take to go 100 miles in 70 deg F, in 50 deg F in 30 deg F is a relevant question that people considering buying an EV should be made a aware of.

@FISHEV You never answered why you changed your name from EaglesPDX to FISHEV. Why don't you want to talk about it. Something you are embarrassed about?

jallred | 2019年12月7日

My questions?

KAM6 | 2019年12月7日

People should also consider if they have the ability to charge their EV at home as that greatly simplifies the experience.

FISHEV | 2019年12月7日

Don't think going off topic will convince people to buy EV's. Being civil on these forums would be something that helps people transition to EVs, knowing they can get answers to their questions and not a lot of name calling, distractions, personal grudges, posts and comment deletions, etc. etc.

jallred | 2019年12月7日

I’m actually curious about the solar panels. How many? Also I feel like Portland isn’t the best for solar panels. Doesn’t it rain a lot there? Plus short days in winter.

Pages