Forums

Autopilot Swerving

Autopilot Swerving

So I picked my Model 3 up about a month ago. It originally had an older version on it but the autopilot worked great. Now I'm at 40.2.36 and I can't trust the autopilot. It constantly swerves very aggressively between the left line and right line. It doesn't center itself. It's to the point where i think it's going to crash into the car next to me. I brought it to the service and they said I needed to keep time stamps of when it happens. They took it for a ride and couldn't recreate it (which I find crazy because as soon as I turned it on it hugged the left lane) I'm kind of kicking myself for not making them get in the car and experience it. The service guy said it's common for Model 3's to swerve but I can't imagine this is acceptable. I couldn't find the search feature on the forum so couldn't see if anyone else has experienced this? Am I crazy? At low speeds (under 35) it does fairly well but as soon as I'm above 35 I have to disable it.

Thanks
Nick

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年12月11日

Can you post some dashcam footage of the "ping ponging"

Plug this into google (you can change search terms to search for different things):

site:forums.tesla.com ping ponging

Devilstower | 2019年12月11日

I've never had this happen except in situations where the width of the marked lanes changes. For example, a left hand exit in which the width of the apparent lane doubles for a long distance in advance of the exit. In that kind of case, I've had the car try to "center" itself in what it sees as an expanded lane. This has also happened with ramps on the right side, particularly if they're positioned at curves.

But to just have it swerve around in a marked lane ... that's an issue. I've never seen that.

vmulla | 2019年12月11日

Dash cam it the next time.

Sarah R | 2019年12月11日

I had an absolutely lovely ride home from Costa Mesa to El Toro in OC on NoAP. The car slowed when appropriate, suggested a couple of lane changes to faster lanes that I rejected because I'm not that impatient, and when it was time to change lanes, did so smoothly and smartly. And it held the center of the lane the whole way. I'm just not seeing the issues others are talking about.

Except once:

4:42 am, northbound transition from the 5 to the 405, I had just locked in TACC (not AP) at 68 MPH. After a few seconds the car stabbed the brake and slowed to exactly 65. I've got the speed limit setting on "relative" and +0. I don't think this was the "phantom braking" that I've read about since it landed me exactly on the speed limit. And since it was oh-dark-thirty (literally) there were no scary shadows to spook the AI.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年12月11日

Ping Ponging, not severe, is common on roads here that have rain grooves cut in. Hwy 85 is well known for ping ponging. It affects all cars (you really have to pay attention).

CharleyBC | 2019年12月11日

"40.2.36"

Is that a real version or a typo?

Devilstower | 2019年12月11日

@Sarah R -- did you happen to be going by an exit, or an underpass at the moment? I've had a couple of instances where the car seemed to pick up a speed limit from an overlapping road.

Sarah R | 2019年12月11日

@M8B I can see that ... my first experience with rain grooves was on a section of I-5 where the grooves were not well cut, and were kind of wavy gravy. The car I was driving, 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham, had BF Goodrich T/A radials that grabbed those grooves and pulled the car every which way.

So we've got another variable. I'm not seeing the ping pong on well grooved pavement with 19" sport tires.

bradbomb | 2019年12月11日

@CharleyBC He might mean "2019.40.2 36f8355b35", but who knows.

vmulla | 2019年12月11日

I have not experienced real AP ping ponging since July 2018.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/m3s-eap-improvement-log-updated-20...

nicksullivan | 2019年12月11日

Thanks everyone. Yes @bradbomb is correct. Typo. I actually just got 2019.40.2.1 38f55d tonight. I'll record it tomorrow when I take it out.

RES IPSA | 2019年12月11日

I got pulled over by CHP about a week ago at 1 am while using autosteer on the 163 south through Balboa Park (one of the oldest freeways in the US). On sharper curves, it tends to steer to the outside of the turn, and then will slightly overcorrect and then find its way back to the center of the lane. After my car did these 2-3 times, I got pulled over. I offered to take a PAS test since I was completely sober. The officer thought I was DUI and seemed disappointed that I was zero BAC. Gave me a verbal warning about using autosteer.

vmulla | 2019年12月11日

@RES IPSA,
That has to be a very steep turn. Or maybe some other variable at work? It's not normal. Did you observe that elsewhere?

RES IPSA | 2019年12月11日

I have observed it elsewhere... like on I-8 heading out of the EC valley back towards SD. There is a curve in the freeway as you start to head up the hill towards the 125 freeway. It does it there too. And I do not know why it wants to go wide on the turns. AP is pretty good about slowing down for curves... slows down much more than I do when I am manually driving the same curves

It seems as if the over correcting has gotten more pronounced with V10.

vmulla | 2019年12月11日

@RES IPSA
Each new release has slight variations. Most of the changes are for the better, some are not so good - that's the nature of software builds. That's one way justify anomalies in AP.
Here's the thing I take issue with. Some folks observe that the turn isn't wide enough, it's cutting too close, it's making the turn too wide and favoring one edge or the other - but it's a machine it's not going to read your mind - it's just supposed to drive you safely as much as possible. For the edge cases- monitor it, take over, teach it and observe it get better.

I draw the line if it's acting unsafely on a highway under ideal conditions.

EVRider | 2019年12月12日

When I upgraded my Model S to 40.1.1, Autosteer started wandering within my lane on the interstate. Not quite as extreme as “ping ponging” but definitely noticeable. Others have reported the same issue.

Joshan | 2019年12月12日

were you passing a truck when it wandered in the lane. It now moves over in lanes when there are vehicles beside you.

apodbdrs | 2019年12月12日

@nicksullivan, check your AP setting, maybe they are too aggressive, but I would recommend having service check the AP sensors, does not seem right.

apodbdrs | 2019年12月12日

@RES IPSA, try lowering the speed on the car as you approach the turn using the right scroll wheel (down clicks). I have read the sensors can not predict blind turns or depressions on the road, so the driver has to help.

jong1969 | 2020年2月21日

I've been having the pingpong issue for a very long time but not consistently reproducible. I drive about 100+ miles/day, mostly highway - ~50 miles each way, and the ping ponging does not happen. But have been noticing it occurring
1) when I'm driving on longer trips where it exceeds 50+ miles
2) after supercharging - about 10-20 minutes after supercharge

I've taken my M3 AWD for service 3 times for this incident and they can't fix it. I've had the car steering wheel re-calibrate it/"zero'd", wheels aligned and sensors reset. Nothing works. At some point in a long drive AP will pingpong. I've even reset during a drive to see if that will reset the sensors but doesn't work.

The pattern is consistent; moves into the left lane first, sometimes halfway into the left lane, never into the right lane to the same degree. When I first got the car, took the car for a family trip, 6 hrs each way, where AP worked perfectly. Can't recall but after version or 2 updates the car started the pingpong.

Tesla service asked that I send a bug report at the time of the issue and note the time before requesting for this resolution. That was several months ago. Hoping this post will help escalate this issue.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 2020年2月21日

Lol yeah, you escalated it aight