Forums

Installation cost difference for PW-2 through a licensed installer vs. TSLA

Installation cost difference for PW-2 through a licensed installer vs. TSLA

I am having a really hard time getting Tesla to engage / respond and act upon our request to get a PW-2 installed (with existing solar).
I am wondering if I should go down the route of working with a local licensed installer to get PW-2.

Do you know what a typical $$ difference would be between TSLA installing the PW-2 vs. a licensed installer?
Any experience or anecdotal evidence?

we're in North CA. 4KW existing solar. PGE utility. Looking for 1 PW-2 installation.

Thanks!

Patrick | 2020年1月2日

Should not be much difference in pricing. Suggest calling a few authorized PW dealers in your area for quotes.

david_gelfand | 2020年1月7日

You may be unaware of the SGIP rebate program for folk who install storage batteries. Tesla, I understand, has exhausted their “allocation” of SGIP rebates. Yes, they are for installers to pass along. It can be pretty substantial, I.e., 35-45% of purchase price. Contact other installers in your area & go with them if they still have the rebate to offer you. BTW is 1 PW enough, given that you’re a PGE customer, as are we. We installed 2 and should have installed 3.

M3NOICE | 2020年1月7日

+1 david.
Certified Installers take advantage that you could still get SGIP thru them and "adjust" price accordingly. That being said, you should talk to all certified installers in your area. I found quite some price differences between them for the same job. Also, if you get 2 PWs, the overall cost is higher, but price per kWh stored is lower.

kibhu | 2020年1月7日

@david_gelfand and @m3noice,
Thanks for your input. I thought of getting more than 1 PW, but wasn't sure if a 4KW solar array will be sufficient to charge the 2 PW setup.

Passion2Fly | 2020年1月7日

@kibhu
It depends, summer time will produce more than winter.
In average, a 4kW system will produce ~6,000 kWh per year.
That’s an average of ~16 kWh per day... So, in average, two batteries is too much for a 4kW system...

Passion2Fly | 2020年1月7日

However, two batteries will allow you to backup the whole house due to a maximum output of 10 kW instead of only 5 kW for a single battery... it’s your call!

Patrick | 2020年1月7日

Agree with Passion - two PWs will provide a lot more continuous power, backup energy, and use case flexibility - even with a small generator. On a previous thread we were comparing notes and discussing the use of 1 Powerwall for every 5 kW of generation capacity as a good general rule-of-thumb. More units are usually OK s if one is looking for more backup reserve capacity.

AlsoRan | 2020年1月7日

I had my PWs installed by Tesla. Having a hard time getting Tesla to engage is a warning that you should heed. Tesla Energy customer service is not good. I recommend you go 3rd party. My anecdotal evidence is that the earliest appointment offered with a technician to look at my inoperable PWs is over four weeks away.