Forums

speed limiter

speed limiter

I have been using speed limiter functions on my cars for years. I like a speed limiter much more than a cruise control, or even an auto-pilot. First of all: you can only use cruise control or auto-pilot when the road is clear and not too busy. Anyone using cruise control or auto-pilot in cities or towns? I never do that: it just does not work, or else it does not bring much. In most cases, it is plain dangerous. But a speed limiter: no problem! And that is because your car will still work like you are used to. A speed-limiter does not change a thing: you can put your foot down as often as you want, leave everyone behind at every traffic light. And yet, you never get a speed-ticket anymore. I also use it on the highway, using the "push-though" function for overtaking (petrol)cars, returning to controlled speed by "catching" the speed limit again with the pedal.

Speed limiters work like a charm. I tend to set them at 3% overspeed, so I know that I always drive as fast as I can. There is one draw-back: you need a good interface to set the limit. Most brands completely fail at that: requiring you to adjust the limit manually by +/- buttons or dials, which makes the whole thing worthless. "Snap to current speed" works the best, like Renault ZOE has. But Tesla model 3 could so much better: it already knows the speed-limit. It even shows it to you, begging you to start the cruise-control which would crash you in a minute when you turn it on in Amsterdam, New-York, Purmerend, or Appelscha for that matter. So, there is one thing that I do not understand about model 3: why does it not have a speed-limiter mode, or (I might be wrong): why can't I find it?

And this is not a futile request: I would easily pay a few hundred Euros for a speed-limiter that is situationally aware, like the auto-pilot is. I would use it almost constantly, in cities, in towns, among bicycles and kids, on the highways, always.

So: why does model 3 not provide it? Anyone?

hokiegir1 | 2020年1月6日

I've never understood the difference between a speed limiter and the traffic-aware cruise control (TACC) as implemented.

TACC will go up to the speed you set, but if there is a car in front of you going slower, it will stay a set distance behind that car. You can override the speed by stepping on the accelerator pedal if you are trying to pass someone. The set speed can be adjusted by either 1 (single click) or increments of 5 (long scroll) at a time with the right wheel, and if you click the speed limit sign on the display, it will change your set speed to that +/- your set preference.

vmulla | 2020年1月6日

It does provide it (in a way)

Set your speed offset to absolute, and set a chime on it. (I'll post the exact menu settings when I'm at my car)
Each time you go above the speed limit it will give you a beep, and then you can ease off the accelerator.

pnagy | 2020年1月6日

I use TACC in the city all the time. I think it's safe. It automatically slows down when a car front of you is driving slower than your TACC speed limit and resumes to TACC limit when the car front of you speeds up. I don't use AP much in the city, mostly on the freeway. I like to think of TACC as a smart speed limiter.

I think you need to correct your 4th sentence.

Peter

andy.connor.e | 2020年1月6日

this is why we need full self driving ASAP

cybergrafx | 2020年1月6日

I would love to see that in a future upgrade. The car has a setting that can prevent you from driving over a maximum speed however it's not that useful... I agree with Jasper. I like to accelerate quickly to the speed limit and I wish I could set it to stop accelerating when it gets a little over the speed limit. It is way to easy to find yourself going 80 two seconds after you looked when you were going 60. When the speed limit changes your speed would automatically change so I would never have to worry about getting a speeding ticket.

apodbdrs | 2020年1月6日

It does, two modes (1) An absolute limit (requires a PIN) in Safety and Security, or (2) Speed Limit warning, for example chimes, found in Autopilot!

M3phan | 2020年1月6日

@ hokiegir1, +1

OP wants to be able to put the peddle to the floor and not think about his speed, and have the car automatically cut power to the motors when they reach the speed limit. The fact that people want these kinds of things, is exactly why i say why we need FSD now.

hokiegir1 | 2020年1月6日

@andy.connor - Thank you for explaining that! Like I said -- I've never understood what was being asked for when I saw these requests, as the description always seemed in line with TACC to me -- but your explanation clarifies.

Ya, i thought your first post made sense. Why not use the features that the car has.

SpeedyEV | 2020年1月6日

There is a Valet Mode where you can set a speed limit. I haven't actually tried it, so I don't know what the exact behavior is.

SpeedyEV | 2020年1月6日

Sorry its actually called "Speed Limit Mode". Its available both on the main display and also in the Tesla phone app.

M3phan | 2020年1月6日

@ andy.connor.e, totally agree

JamPie70 | 2020年1月17日

Hi Jasper, I'm looking for the same. We have a lot of speedcams here in the City that like to tell you that you were a bit too fast for 30 or more euros.

M3phan | 2020年1月17日

Who’s driving without ever looking at their speedometer?

M3phan | 2020年1月17日

Who’s driving without ever looking at their speedometer?

Just_Ted | 2020年1月17日

"Who’s driving without ever looking at their speedometer?" ...um, like, about 1/2 the drivers in the Baltimore/DC metro area?

derotam | 2020年1月17日

@Just_Ted: Yep, but I think it is more than half.

ODWms | 2020年1月17日

Way more.

M3phan | 2020年1月17日

Wow. Note to self, take the ring road around Baltimore/DC...check.

andy | 2020年1月17日

It would be good to have a formal way of logging feature requests.

Lack of a variable speed limiter was the thing that struck me most with the Model 3 when I first bought it. Speed limiters are standard fit on the most basic cars these days and are pretty much essential in the UK and, it seems from comments above, other countries in Europe.

Autopilot can't replicate a speed limiter. Speed limits change in real time depending on computer controls and remote operators. They are camera enforced. So, even if the GPS database was accurate which it often isn't cruise control/autopilot can't help until it can read traffic signs and react in advance. Touch the brakes in cruise/autopilot and you lose the set speed and the car defaults back to, often, the wrong speed,

FSD can't be used until it can cope with variable speed limits, so implementing the feature would be a step closer to FSD.

On a linked topic that's also been mentioned before, it's also strange that if you drive above the GPS speed limit then cruise/autopilot will engage at the override speed (although steering is limited to the speed limit the car thinks is in force). Engage cruise/autopilot at a speed slower than the one the car thinks in force then the car tries to accelerate to a higher speed unless you hold the accelerator down and dial the speed back before releasing the accelerator.

It does add to the workload on motorways. A speed limiter would be a simple workaround and would helps us with the wall to wall speed cameras and potential loss of licence. Aware from this forum that speed limits seem to be viewed as more like guidelines in the US, but they are important to us. We don't have a choice other than to obey them.

jamilworm | 2020年1月17日

@andy - If speed limits are so variable and unpredictable, then how do the speed limiters that "are standard fit on the most basic cars these days" work? Surely most basic cars aren't tapped into the speed limit schedule.

info | 2020年1月18日

The speed limiter function as Jasper indicates is up to now the only thing I am really missing on my M3.

I think there is some misunderstanding on what Jasper means with the word "speed limiter". It is a setting which limits the maximum speed the car can drive. This setting is fully driver controlled and can for instance being used when driving in an area with a speed limit of 80 kms/hr. After initiating the setting to, let's say 83 kms/hr, the driver can accelerate and brake as much and as fast as needed but the car will not exceed 83 kms/hr. The next moment, when entering a village the driver can set the limit to 53 kms/hr.
My former Nissan Qashqai (European) has this option and is used much more than the cruise control as I have much more control over the car in busy traffic.

It would be great if Tesla would have this option installed!!

jean-marie.brugeron | 2020年1月18日

Comment accéder au forum en français ?

info | 2020年1月24日

No one has the need for this?

derotam | 2020年1月24日

Nope

Lorenzryanc | 2020年1月24日

I'm not sure I'm understanding the desire for this. So I could limit my speed, floor it, make it to that speed quickly and the car won't exceed the set speed? Is that what we're missing? The app can do that for ya, or just take your foot off the accelerator. Of all the requests I've seen of this car, this is the oddest IMO.

Still, send Tesla a message and I'm sure they can add this "feature" quite easily.

FISHEV | 2020年1月24日

"First of all: you can only use cruise control or auto-pilot when the road is clear and not too busy."

I use adaptive cruise in rush hour traffic 0-75 mph, crowded, works great...has to work great as any good adaptive cruise will do this and do it well.

Adaptive cruise already limits the speed to whatever setting you choose.

hokiegir1 | 2020年1月24日

+1 @Lorenzryanc. I think I now understand the idea of a "speed limiter" based on a few posts (and I think @Lorenzryanc is correct in his description), but I still don't understand why it's needed. Between TACC and just common sense driving skills (something I know the general populous lacks, but still...), this isn't an issue that I feel like I am missing. It does seem to be a UK/EU thing that they are accustomed to, but it's not something that exists in the US, so maybe we just don't understand what we're missing until we have it.

andy | 2020年1月25日

@ jamilworm the limiter is set by the driver and the last set speed is remembered. The driver presses as single button and the limiter switched on. You press up or down to change the speed.

It’s the same as the setting on the cruise control other than the driver sets the speed and it has a memory.

Cruise control on the Model 3 doesn’t have a memory and defaults to the speed limit that the car thinks is in force. If the car things the speed it lower than the real one then it won’t allow autosteer above what it thinks is the speed limit from GPS database, which is is often wrong and, even where it is correct, the speed limit can be changed. In many places this can be in real time by remote operators or computers and iIt’s strictly enforced by cameras. Get 4 tickets and you lose your licence.

The limiter has a benefit in congested traffic. You can use the accelerator and the brake, but the car won’t exceed the limit that you set. If you go under a gantry with a 40? On an otherwise 70 motorway, then you set the car to 40, if the limit changes to 50, 40 and to 60 then you always have a reference and easily adjust.

With cruise, as soon as you touch the brake then you lose the speed setting and have to remember the speed limit in force for the 500yd section you may be in, hold down the accelerator lightly, engage cruise, keep the pedal pressed and dial back the speed. It’s extra workload that is unnecessary with a speed limiter.

I’ve taken to using A road dual carriageways (4 lanes with a central divider and 70 limit) I preference to motorways (6-8+ lanes with a 70 limit and divider) where they are available as a parallel alternative. We don’t have variable speed limits on the A roads (other than for roadworks and more let many sections that are mapped) and the car is therefore easier to drive. In a cheaper car, that does have a speed limiter, there is less workload.

It’s not something easy to explain, especially when typing on a mobile phone screen. As soon as you experience it you get it.

The Model 3 is a little limited due to the use of just two scroll wheels, but it would be easy to set a toggle on the touchscreen so that the driver can move between speed limiter and cruise control mode and the deterring wheel ck trips can then stay the same. Similarly a row of 30,40, 50 and 60 touch options would quickly and simply do the same thing.

One other thing - you always have the option of overriding the speed limiter in an emergency. It’s just a firmer push on the accelerator.

This stuff is all standard and has been for some time.

andy | 2020年1月25日

This article explains it better: https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/459/what-is-a-speed-limiter

I was looking for a picture of a standard wheel that has both cruise and a speed limiter - it’s normally just an extra button. If cruise and the speed limiter are on a stack then the stalk also allows selection. On the Model 3 you could sue the touch screen or have a setting for how many touches you do on the right stall.

I should have added 20 as a desirable option - that’s becoming the default for residential areas. Cruise doesn’t work well as a limiter in those areas even if the database is up to date. You don’t really want the cruise control to take you over a speed bump at 20. Using the limiter you have full control, but don’t exceed the limit. Similar with mini-roundabouts, which are everywhere, and often just a couple of hundred yards apart. You drive as normal and accelerate away.drove along a 30 or 40 road with wall to wall cameras and, again, no hassle with a limiter and you remain free to vary the speed for obstructions such as parked cars etc.

As the Model 3 is largely a computer then the option could easily be left off for those who don’t see it as a benefit and be enabled by those who would hugely value the reduced workload and peace of mind.

jasper | 2020年1月27日

Thank you all for your comments.
Personally, what I seek in a car is control: I want to drive my car myself, exploit all its power, flexibility and intelligence, in comfort but always in total control. I want to quickly slow down when I see kids playing behind the parked cars, and quickly accelerate when I can again. I want to change lanes, avoid some bicycles, pass by some kids with 50 km/h, all in total control. I do not want my car to accelerate to 50 just because some software tells it that that is the stupid legal limit. Despite all the "intelligence" in the FSD, I still think I am a hell better driver in downtown Amsterdam. I do not trust my Aunt there, let alone some algorithm. And do not take me wrong: I am a software developer myself and I use the AP often on the highways. It is amazing technology, but my Aunt drives better. As long as the AP cannot take a curve smoothly, or cannot forecast the behaviour of other cars and motorcycles, I will not use it near kids, eldery people or bicycles. I want to be in control in such situations, immediately. And that is precisely what a speed limiter give me: control. It lets me drive my car as I want to without having to check my speed every half second, so I can focus on the road. Yet, it works like a cruise-control when I put my foot down.
I tried those "chimes" that go off any time I break the speed limit which is, like, 20 times a minute. That's not a solution, that's a nuisance. And a single speed limit, to prevent 18+ youngsters from speeding? Anyone using that? Any adult I mean?

I want to use speed limiter (SL) in the busy cities, switch to TACC when the roads get less crowded, and to AP on the highway. For me, that would mean 70% SL, 20% TACC and 10% AP of the time I driving.

It seems to me that Tesla is devoting 70% of time to developing AP, 20% to TACC and 0% to SL (the rest is for all those other things they do). I think the latter number should go up.

Shabaa | 2020年2月12日

I was just about to be buying my Tesla model 3 or Bmw i3 but non of these cars are having speed limiter which is essential for me after having a sh*tty Leaf that features it. I'm so used to it I couldn't live I mean drive wihout it. Driving a car with it is fun yet you can keep your driving licence. It turns on by a touch of button on the steering wheel and can be set with a flick on a two way rocker switch alsso on the steereing wheel. as to increasing or decreasing the limit it is just another touch of the very same rocker switch and if you hold it pressed after just a second it goes up or down by a tenner and a tenner every more second. So easy to use i drive wih speed limiter at 100% of the times. Why this is only featured in the Leaf? Am i gonna by a much hated Nissan again?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2020年2月12日

jasper: The 'control' you seek is in your right foot and right ankle. No need to act as junior engineer and suggest to Tesla what doohickie they should acquire from BOSCH or some other third party to gain your patronage. Just go somewhere else already.

Shabaa: The 'limiter' you speak of is also actuated by your own right foot and right ankle. Learn to [FLOCKING] drive. You don't get to tell Tesla how to build their cars either. Goodbye.

derotam | 2020年2月13日

@Jasper:

"I want to drive my car myself, exploit all its power, flexibility and intelligence, in comfort but always in total control" - jasper

"And that is precisely what a speed limiter give me: control" - jasper

These two statements from jasper are in conflict with each other. What you are saying with them is that you want "total control" EXCEPT that you want the car to be able to stop you from getting a speeding ticket.

"Anyone using cruise control or auto-pilot in cities or towns?" - jasper

Absolutely, I use TACC all the time and it works great

Part of using some of the Tesla features(even the same things on other cars), is giving up control to the car, which it seems you do not want to do, and that is perfectly fine...I just have a problem with people that bitch about features that the aren't going to use anyway BECAUSE they DON'T WANT to give up their control.

There are a plethora of ways to deal with all the features of the car and maintain total control of the vehicle. I hope you didn't buy FSD because I am sure you will never use it.

One last comment about the "smoothly taking a corner" comment. That is an interesting discussion as well, because unless the passenger compartment is on a gimbal, people are always going to complain about the curves and corners. For example...take a driver that takes curves and corners a little more aggressively...now put them in the back seat and have the car drive like they did...that person is probably going to not be happy getting jerked all over the place. Alternately, have the car take the curves in such a way as to minimize the lateral movement of the passengers...now people will complain at the car taking the curves too slowly.

Can't win. The car is what the car is and people will complain about anything. All cars do not have speed limiters, so clearly the market does not see the need to put them in.

petedilloway | 2020年2月23日

I test drive an M3 this week. Id love to buy one. I’d like a longer range than my Ioniq Electric gives.
The lack of a Speed Limiter is a real deal killer for me. I think sadly, I’m stuck with newer Ioniq.
The Ioniq comes with basic cruise, smart cruise and speed limiter. I can set, resume or cancel any of them in a couple seconds with my thumb.
Where I live, near a rural market town, there are frequent mobile speed cameras. TACC in it’s present form without speed memory is useless. The roads are too narrow and have parked cars either side. I frequently have to brake for oncoming traffic. Basic cruise is just about useable, but active speed limiter is right on the money.
My 2012 Prius had a similar speed limiter to the M3 with just audible warning rather active speed limiting that was pretty useless if the radio was on! Come On Elon, audible warning? that’s archaic! Spend less time on log fires and whoopee cushions!