Forums

Tesla has a new model wall connector.

Tesla has a new model wall connector.

This new wall connector maxes out at 48 amps. No more 72 Amps charging speed supported at all.

It also is not compatible with the V2 connector for power sharing.

But it does have WiFi

But the cable is only 18 feet long.

shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector

Interesting.

andy.connor.e | 2020年1月15日

Just checked it out. Looks like the wifi is to simplify and speed up commissioning. It also allows the amperage to be controlled through the wifi, as well as usage data tracking. Looks like they want to integrate the charger into their entire monitoring system kind of like how they have the solar, powerwall, and your car on the app. I guess the charger was important enough to now add to that as well. At least now you dont need your own power meter at the charger!

TeslaTap.com | 2020年1月15日

Here's the quick link: https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector

Still $500, and old version no longer available:

Differences:
- 48 amps max
- new glass front
- lighter cable

While it doesn't appear to share power with multiple adapters on the same power line. Perhaps via WiFi it does that now? Should be possible.

gblinckmann | 2020年1月15日

It will be. From page 26 of the manual:

Power Sharing Overview
This feature will be available in a future over-the-air firmware update.
The firmware-based power sharing feature enables up to 16 Wall Connectors installed at the same site to
intelligently share the site's total available power via unit-to-unit Wi-Fi. This minimizes the need for many
residential and commercial applications to have specific electrical upgrades for concurrent multi-vehicle
charging.
During the commissioning process,
• Wall Connectors are allocated to individual branch circuits (each up to 60 amps)
• Total power is allocated to the group of linked Wall Connectors
Total current output of Wall Connectors that share power will never exceed the site's total allocated
power.

This would actually be an upgrade from how it was done before. If you think about how this might work in an apartment building instead of a home, this would allow for faster charging for a car, but keep total power capped.

rxlawdude | 2020年1月15日

"Wall Connectors are allocated to individual branch circuits (each up to 60 amps)"

That's really unclear - do they mean each Wall connector needs its own branch circuit?

dahawk7843 | 2020年1月15日

I purchased the previous wall charger but have not yet installed it. I am wondering whether to return it for the Gen 3 version. Am I right that the Gen 3 version has a lower maximum output than the one I have? I have a new Model 3. Is it capable now of being charged at the higher output rate of the previous wall charger? If so, that would be a reason to keep the earlier version, is that right? (I also prefer the longer (24') cable to the 18' cable.

@rxlawdude - Yep, I think that is required in the electrical code for all-electric charging devices as to be on its own breaker. It doesn't mean it has to be 60 amps though.

@dahawk - While the Gen 2 WC can go to 80 amps if installed with suitable wiring and 100 amp breaker, the most the Model 3 can take is 48 amps, the limit of the Gen 3 WC. For your car, I can't see any major difference other than the shorter cord in the Gen 3.

Also forgot, the 48 amps is for the LR. I'm about 95% sure the SR and SR+ are limited to 32 amps no matter what the source power available.

dahawk7843 | 2020年1月15日

Thanks for the info. I have the LR package. I read somewhere that the Model 3 might be upgradable to accept a higher charge rate at some point in the future? Is that possible or is it a hardware limitation?

@dahawk7843 - I've never heard that. There were some options a few years ago for the S/X to go to 72 amps when the car was purchased but never saw it as an after purchase option. It's never been a software option. As all cars now are just 48 amps, except the 3SR/SR+, and all the AC charging options, such as the MC and WC are now limited to 48 amps, I don't see Tesla increasing this limit. Quite a few owners actually dial down the charging, as most overnight charging doesn't even need 30 amps. It just depends on the amount of driving you do daily.

rxlawdude | 2020年1月15日

@TTap, I don't think that's how the daisy-chained HPWCs worked at all. They shared one circuit. It would seem incredibly dumb to now require dedicated circuits, although this could allow, for example, installation of HPWCs on opposite walls, each fed with their own circuit. Now that they communicate by WiFi, that should be doable.

I should add, many years ago on the early Model S, it had a dual charger option, that could be retrofitted. It changed the 40 amp limit to 80 amps. I think the cost was around $2200, so not a cheap retrofit.

@rxlawdude - I'm not up on every detail of the electrical code, so you are likely right. Generally, the code doesn't allow multiple devices that could over-amperage the breaker, such as two 80 amp WC on a single 100 amp breaker, but when they communicate so that can't happen, it seems like it would be ok.

SCCRENDO | 2020年1月15日

I have 2 HPWC's daisy chained. My model S max charges at 40 A but my Model 3 max charges at 48 A alone. When I charge both cars together they both charge at 40A as the total charge is limited to 80A

reed_lewis | 2020年1月15日

The old HPWC uses a single breaker and splits the circuit to the individual wall connectors. They talk with each other and only charge at the maximum power total that the circuit is set for. When you install multiple Gen 2 connectors, the first one is set to the power of the circuit. The others are set to 'slave' mode and share the power.

This new one is not clear in the way it is wired. Looking at the manual it looks like it uses a single breaker for each unit, but limits the total power used by all units in a cluster to some maximum level. But it does communicate with each other via WiFi whereas the old one used a hard wire.

I just wish Tesla had left the Gen 2 unit available also for people who want to add to a daisy chain system.

SCCRENDO | 2020年1月15日

I just bought a 3rd HPWC because I intended to set up an HPWC at my daughter. It turns out that their junction box needs significant upgrading to handle it. In the interim I am planning to purchase a 2nd home near them so I have held on the HPWC. If their is a shortage and someone wants a 2nd generation HPWC to daisy chain I could sell it to them and pick up a 3rd generation when I need it.

sw | 2020年1月16日

Does the connectivity allow for on/off scheduling of the charger itself? I'm thinking of an outdoor install at my office but only want it to operate during daytime hours (when my solar is running).

CZ10 | 2020年1月16日

I believe there is a remote on/off & timer. I saw something about scheduling charging for off-peak electrical time.

Tesla2018 | 2020年1月18日

sw I don't know if they make them but could you install a 240-volt light switch inside the building that could be used to turn the outlet on and off.
Where I work we have outside lighting and I think the outlets that are on the exterior of the building are connected to it and they go on based on a photocell since none of the outlets work when I try them during the day so I can't charge at work.

darrylb1961 | 2020年1月19日

Can I use this to charge on a 110 voltage outlet in my garage. Will it allow me to charge at the 44 mile per hour rate evewithout having a 240v outlet. Thanks for any assistance. An electrician quoted me $2,000 to install the 240 outlet in my garage! Thanks so much for any clarification!

Tesla2018 | 2020年1月19日

Darrylb1961. You need 240 volts to get 44 mph. The chargers won't work with 110. You can use 110 with the mobile charger that came with the car and plug it into a wall outlet and get about 6 mph. Your electric panel must be far away from your garage for it to be $2000. The parts are under $50 but the wire costs about $6 a foot.

andy.connor.e | 2020年1月19日

Yeah. If darryl is paying electrician rates to tear down drywall and sheetrock to run 60ft of wire, thats where the cost is. I got a panel upgrade priced at about $1600 from the 60 year old 60A MCB to a 200A. Although he was quoting me around $700 for materials and i went and added all the materials to a car on home depot and it was $230.

andy.connor.e | 2020年1月19日

Definitely meant to add that my panel is right next to the incoming service about 3' of wire from the meter to the panel.

milesbb | 2020年1月19日

I think Tesla is now saying home charging no longer needs to be greater than 48 amps. If you need faster charging use a supercharger. Lowering the max charging rate to 48 amps matches the current maximum charging rate sold in their cars. Why sell and make users use heavy cable rated for 80 amps if they can only charge at 48 amps.

The load sharing change which goes from 4 to 16 users seems to be geared for larger sites, perhaps work locations or apartment complexes. The load sharing change from low voltage wiring to wifi simplifies installation, no need to run the low voltage wiring. Mixing communication wiring and power wiring in the same device is difficult. Providing WiFi opens the door to an abundant possibility of options. The possible options could be secure on/off switching by authorized user. Metering and charging by kWh or by hr. Load shed coordination with utility. Load matching with local solar generation, or onsite generators. It will be interesting to see what features Tesla provides using the new WiFi connection.

The requirement for individual branch circuits for each HPWC is new. I always felt the single circuit with multiple HPWC had code issues, greater than 60 amp circuit requires local disconnect. Now you have one circuit breaker for each HPWC, no local disconnect required, no confusion when isolating for service. Now you have power shared at the panel level limit, not at the circuit level limit.

The only thing I see missing is addressing charging at 277 volts. Lots of businesses use 277/480 systems, using the 277 volts for charging would save significant costs for these locations. The old HPWC manual seemed to show that it was a possible to use 277 Volts.

TeslaTap.com | 2020年1月20日

@milesbb - I noticed the old 277 VAC limit in the old manual too. I'd be uncomfortable using 277VAC as this is the rated maximum voltage of the unit, and "277" is the nominal voltage on these business circuits, and could easily be +/- 5%. At +5%, that would bring it up to 290 VAC. It might work, but now you're exceeding the WC design limits.

Still not sure I've seen anyone on the forums interested in using the WC on a 277 VAC circuit, so it seems to be a very rare need today.

reed_lewis | 2020年1月20日

There is a wall connector mounted in Saco Maine at a rope factory that is installed with 277volts. With my Model S it only charged at 40 amps because of the higher voltage. The owner of the company had a Model S with dual chargers.

I wish that dual chargers was an option because it would be nice to charge faster at home.

TeslaTap.com | 2020年1月20日

@reed - Good to know! Thanks.

milesbb | 2020年1月20日

@TeslaTap.com As I understand it the original superchargers used the original onboard chargers at 277 volts in the cabinets. These chargers were used without reported issues that I am aware of. Generally low voltage electrical equipment is rated at 600vac. 600 vac is the voltage rating for all the power wiring in your house, not 240 vac that one might think. In the end however I would depend on Tesla to determine if their equipment can be used at 277. I would get the determination in writing before designing and installing a system at that voltage level.

If Tesla is approving the use of 277 vac, they are approving the Nominal voltage class 277 which means it is within the ANSI C84.1 standard. That standard for 277 vac ranges from a high of 293vac to a low of 245 vac.