Forums

Consumption screen understanding

Consumption screen understanding

Can someone explain how to use/read/interpret the consumption screen.

jdcollins5 | 2020年1月17日

The solid line is the Rated WH/mile for your car. The dotted line is your average WH/mile for the past 5/15/30 miles. If you are above the solid line your wh/m is higher than rated and if below the line you are lower than rated.

The peaks and valleys show the WH/m when accelerating and regen slowing. The range miles on the right hand side indicates the Range Miles estimated if you continue at the average wh/m. You can compare this to the battery icon Range Miles and tell if you are doing better or worse.

teslamazing | 2020年1月17日

Oh boy another thread ..

ADinM3 | 2020年1月17日

Good description. I don't think a lot people every notice the Rated line.

@teslaamazing, Now, if only we could enable overlay of speed, HVAC state, etc and save the data to a USB stick. Just imagine all the additional fodder that would provide the forum to bicker and argue over.

rehutton777 | 2020年1月17日

Nice description, jdcollins15!

BumblebeEV | 2020年1月17日

Mine was 220Wh/Km for my -25 degrees Celsius 1h drive

GHammer | 2020年1月17日

The Projected Range from the energy graph is NOT your actual driving range, do not use that to guide your travel decisions and charging strategies. Instead use the navigation and trip tab in the energy app.

WhiteWind | 2020年1月17日

Aslo Disclaimer
Fish is always wrong and known Troll that spreads confusion and disinformation.
Thank you

WhiteWind | 2020年1月17日

Also*

rehutton777 | 2020年1月17日

As usual, FISH is wrong. If you have been driving generally uphill for a while, your projected range from the energy graph (on whatever scale you choose) will be must LOWER than the estimated range from the energy (mileage) bar. If you then drive generally downhill for a while, your projected range from the energy graph may be much HIGHER than the estimated range from the energy (mileage) bar. So - - what's the real remaining range? Better to go by the green energy bar which assumes the EPA rated efficiency for the remaining battery capacity (not a terribly accurate indicator, though, sort of like the ICE gas guage).

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年1月18日

FISHEV is evil

SalisburySam | 2020年1月18日

@jdcollins5, thank you. Best short understandable description of this car feature I’ve read...better than the manual.

jallred | 2020年1月18日

Who knows what the Gray Line is supposed to represent -fish

Not you, Jack, that’s for sure.

jallred | 2020年1月18日

I know you think every number is range, but the gray line plots remaining energy.

You can tell by looking at the y axis label.

Bighorn | 2020年1月18日

How can anyone have actively used the Trip plot and not recognize what the gray line represents?!

WhiteWind | 2020年1月18日

Retard alert be careful!

jallred | 2020年1月18日

Problem is Gray is less energy/mile than even Rated Range/Capacity of the Greenline so it is not Projected Range which would be below the Greenline if Tesla graphed it there. -fish

Energy/mile would be in units of kWh/mi.
Rated range/capacity would be in units of mi/kWh.

You can’t compare numbers with different units.

What do you mean by rated range/capacity?

The more energy you use the lower the line goes on the graph.

jallred | 2020年1月18日

These are two lines on the same graph, same units. As you see the Gray Line supposed to be Projected Range shows higher range kW/mi than the Green Line which is Rated Range while the Projected Range on the Consumption Graph shows nearly twice the kW of Gray and Green line so Gray can't be the same as Projected if it shows different numbers for same time/miles. -fish

Gray line is not supposed to be projected range. It is what percentage energy you have remaining as you progress on your trip.

Gray line does not show higher range kw/mi than the green line. Range isn’t measured in kw/mi. Range isn’t measure in kWh/mi either. The gray line shows how percentage energy remaining as you progress on your trip.

The gray line is higher than the green line because it is more optimistic about your energy consumption. If you use less energy then you have more remaining.

You really have absolutely no idea what you are looking at.

You want to finish your trip with more energy in your battery not less. The further up on the graph, the more energy you have in your battery.

Bighorn | 2020年1月18日

Didn't jack also say that if you touch the upper right hand icon on the screen that you toggle between the gray line and the green/yellow/red line? It's magnification. And yes, it's SOC over the course of the routed trip. Not kWh/mi.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 2020年1月18日

"No one does as the Gray Line does not matche up to any other number on any of the car's screens.

The Green Line matches to Rated Range though, easy to Toggle to see it."

hilarious. Evidently the fish can understand something unless it is displayed in at least two different places, but somehow can understand the green line by comparing it to something the car displays in exactly zero places.

*can't*

jallred | 2020年1月18日

The Green Line matches to Rated Range though, easy to Toggle to see it.

It is the remaining energy in the battery not a range. It can’t match, because they are different things.
It matches the soc in percentage. What percent of your charge do you have left

The gray line is what the car thinks that you soc in percent will be as you travel your trip. Do you see that it isn’t a straight line? That’s because you defined your trip. The car has an ides of elevation and speed, because you defined your trip.

If the green line drops below the gray line then you are doing worse then expected. If your green line stays above then you are doing better.

The only other place a car projects soc is when you set a destination with nav. It tells you then what the estimated soc is going to be when you arrive at your destination and what your soc is expected to be on return trip.

The gray line is a prediction of what soc will be at any point along your trip. Where would you ever expect to see these valued somewhere else? The gray line is not a number. It is a series of numbers over distance. The distance of your trip.

The gray line is a prediction of soc over the course of your trip. You want to know what the predicted soc will be 100 miles into your trip. Go over to 100 on x-axis and look at % on y-axis. Drive the 100 miles and you can see that the green line was lower than the gray by 5%. You used 5% more of your soc than the initial prediction expected. Stay above the line if you are more efficient.

Bighorn | 2020年1月18日

So how many Wh/m is half a tank?

jimglas | 2020年1月18日

maybe fish is colorblind?

Repeat after me:
There is no range on that graph.

jallred | 2020年1月18日

So the Gray Line does not match Predicted Range on the Consumption Graph nor does it match any other number the car displays. - Jack

How many different ways can you be wrong? Gray line shows predicted energy left in your battery along your trip. It shows you a prediction of what is going to happen in the future.

The consumption graph shows you the energy you actually consumed in the past.

Neither shows range.

You can’t compare anything on trip vs consumption. The lines on the trip graph can’t be found somewhere else. That’s why they have a graph for them.

“ But the Gray line being higher than the Green line (rated SOC/range) is impossible”

This should be good watching you argue with yourself.

Bighorn | 2020年1月18日

Clearly hasn't been on a road trip.
#325kmiles

GHammer | 2020年1月18日

It's amazing how someone can make something so simple, seem so complicated.

GHammer | 2020年1月18日

120k miles, 5 years, 3 Teslas, twice cross country, multiple times from border to border I5. Have never used the "projected range"

FISHEV | 2020年1月18日

"Have never used the "projected range"

It shows.

GHammer | 2020年1月18日

'it shows"

How so? My point is that the projected range is a completely useless metric. If it were as vital as you seem to think it is, how am I successfully, without incident, traversing long distances, indeed even in areas uncovered by Superchargers?

WhiteWind | 2020年1月18日

Fish is mentally handicapped. Poor guy

Bighorn | 2020年1月18日

I used to think it was willful ignorance, but he's not that clever.

jallred | 2020年1月18日

“ But the Gray line being higher than the Green line (rated SOC/range) is impossible”

This should be good watching you argue with yourself.

Did you look at this picture, fish?

https://imgur.com/Tdug6ku

FISHEV | 2020年1月18日

"Did you look at this picture, fish?"

Showing the Gray Line Range/SOC higher than Green Line Rated Range/SOC?

jallred | 2020年1月18日

Yes. So is it impossible?

FISHEV | 2020年1月18日

"So is it impossible?"

Impossible for Gray line to be Projected Range/SOC yes since we know from the Consumption view of the same data that Projected Range is much lower than Rated in that graph.

“ Impossible for Gray line to be Projected Range”

The stopped-clocked was right!

It is impossible for the gray line to be projected range, because that chart doesn’t convey range.

GHammer | 2020年1月18日

"Projected Range is your actual range. "

OK, since you seem to like pictures. What is my "actual range"? 114 miles or 245 miles?
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49406319931_d46e7aa702_k.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49405839108_7b6d4f5254_k.jpg

Bighorn | 2020年1月18日

@Hammer
He's clearly not equipped.

jallred | 2020年1月18日

Impossible for Gray line to be Projected Range/SOC yes since we know from the Consumption view of the same data that Projected Range is much lower than Rated in that graph. -fish

Trip graph is predicted data. Consumption view is past collected data. Not the same data.

WhiteWind | 2020年1月18日

Knock knock

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 2020年1月19日

WW_spb | January 18, 2020
“Knock knock”

Sounds like you should be using higher octane fuel.

FISHEV | 2020年1月19日

"Trip graph is predicted data."

And current battery data. You'll see the data ballon move as the car moves giving you current and predictive data.

"Consumption view is past collected data. Not the same data."

It says PROJECTED RANGE, aka predictive, on the data balloon on the Consumption graph which, like Trip, is both current and predictive data.

Projected Range, your actual current range, is the most important number as the other numbers will be off as much as 50% regarding range available.

GHammer | 2020年1月19日

"It says PROJECTED RANGE, aka predictive, on the data balloon on the Consumption graph which, like Trip, is both current and predictive data."

There is nothing "predictive" about the projected range number. It is simply the remaining battery kWh divided by the past usage over the last 5,15 or 30 miles.

Now answer my question I posted above, is my "actual range", as indicated by the projected range number, 114 or 245?

Bighorn | 2020年1月19日

Told you.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年1月19日

FISHEV is dying.

jallred | 2020年1月19日

It says PROJECTED RANGE, aka predictive, -fish

English can be difficult.

Projected means what we think will happen based on what already has happened.
Predicted means what we think will happen based on, well, what we think will happen.

The word Projected is carefully chosen because it tells us that the estimate of future range is based on how the car has been using energy in the past.

You were all concerned about the gray line "numbers" not showing up anywhere. That's because they aren't projected numbers and because they aren't range numbers but SOC numbers.

The key thing is that you told it where you want to go, and it predicted what will happen with your SOC based on how long of a trip you are going on and where you are going.

You can't compare the gray line to any other number through whatever math hurdles you want to use, because no where else does the car calculate what it predicts your SOC will be based on your trip.

The number you think is so valuable is only based on recent energy consumption. The trip graph shows you continuous estimates of SOC over the entire trip, and then shows you how you are doing compared to those SOC numbers continuously. This is significantly more valuable than a single number or projected range that has incredibly high variability depending on speed, elevation changes, heat, cooling, battery preconditioning.

You love that projected range number. Imagine having a graph where you could see how that number may change over your entire trip and see over the entire trip how close you are to meeting that number.

You questioned the gray line. It is all predicted data. Not current data. This is why the gray line doesn't change as you collect current data.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年1月19日

The problem with trying to teach serial liars is they live in a world where everything is lie to them and they live out their small bitter lives complaining about everything SBS is incurable.

jallred | 2020年1月19日

I'll tell you what my biggest complaint about the trip graph is: it covers up the map. There are multiple options for music. I can not look at any music information, just a sliver, half screen or full screen. I want my trip graph to be the same way.

Consumption could be the same way, but I only look at consumption when my wh/mi is trending high and I don't really know why. I go to consumption and immediately try to correlate energy with things I did in the past. For instance, I've been driving at 80 on the highway for the last 10 miles. Then I start to make some decisions. Like, maybe this is more uphill or into the wind then I thought, so I should slow down to use less energy. So I slow down and maybe look at consumption in another 10 miles and see whether I improved anything.

Pages