Forums

Automatic high beams

Automatic high beams

Maybe it's just me but they never worked, I've been driving a Model S for a week and the difference was huge because automatic high beams worked perfectly and consitently with low light. Now, all of the sudden, they work! I did not change anything in the settings so I guess that It was done by remote assistance, someone cheched my car (scheduled auto diagnosis?) and fixed it or configured a script. Anyway, great job by Tesla

jimglas | 2020年1月18日

sounds like a class action suit to me

BumblebeEV | 2020年1月18日

I find they don’t work well because they don’t auto highbeam ICE pick up trucks and SUVs transporting only 1 person and no equipment from commuting to and back from work.

Varricks | 2020年1月18日

Had a pair of '53 Cadillacs. They had "Autronic Eye", a detector on the dash. Worked about the same as the Model 3 when I tried it (momentarily) after obtaining in July. I've not tried them since.

Still, kind of an even trade for being able to turn off half the streetlights with the high beams.

I'll have to give the automatics another try.

Massimo76 | 2020年1月19日

@Maxxer

maybe it's just a matter of tuning the camera, in my case AHB had been not working since day 1 so I can't tell you in this specific case, I just noticed that if a big truck is parked on the right side of a street (lights off) the high beams are turned off, maybe the camera is unable to know if the truck is parked or just stopped, no problem with parked cars

crf2mro | 2020年1月19日

Since the last update, I could swear that the auto high beams are more polite. My $.02.

jerrykham | 2020年1月19日

I just turn them off. Once in a while either an update or my fat fingers accidentally turn them back on again. They are super annoying going high beams / low beams / high beams / low beams / high beams / low beams all the way down our residential street as it reacts to street lights (no other cars as I am driving to work at 3:30 AM). Then when I do get to a street with a few other cars the same thing on off on off, etc. I don't use high beams for really anything anyway so off they go. I really can't understand anyone using them except for some dark country road or the like.

thedrisin | 2020年1月19日

I personally like the automatic high beams. The nice thing is that you have the choice of turning on or off depending on your preference.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 2020年1月19日

Jerryk@

I agree; that’s one of the things I prefer to control. Mine are also off.

SalisburySam | 2020年1月19日

My AHB are on, and they work just fine.

zerogravitydrgn | 2020年1月19日

I only turn AHB on when on a road that I need high beams. Which is rare, and they work well on those roads. I don’t think they are meant to be used full time nor do I need them too.

ADinM3 | 2020年1月19日

I find the AHB work fairly well if there are few cars or a lot of cars but on rural roads with just a medium amount of cars I usually end up disabling AHB. It tends to high beam vehicles in front of me at a distance closer than I would and similarly flash oncoming cars as they pass. I.e. immediately after oncoming car passes it goes to high beam even though another car is coming but just out of range. Don't want the others thinking I am a jerk or flashing me to indicate their high beams are not on.

This is a case where it would be nice to have a "polite mode" which increases the threshold needed to reenable high beams if the high beams were disabled within some reasonably short time duration.

roger.klurfeld | 2020年1月21日

I'm on firmware 2019.50.40.7, and auto high beams works fine. No one, either coming at me or in front of me, has complained.

finman100 | 2020年1月21日

my auto high beam headlights work okay. They don't peer around visible curves very well. Meaning, when going around a two-lane curve that you can easily see oncoming traffic (so, a big wide curve out on a country road with NOTHING else but you and oncoming headlights) they won't go low beam until it's quite a bit too late to help the blinding of oncoming cars.

Also, very reflective street signs cause them to cycle bright to low to bright as the reflection "confuses" the system (are auto high beams part of the AI, too?)

not ideal but 90% good. kinda like auto-wipers that still don't work in the dark very well.

PECo CT | 2020年1月22日

There are a lot of hills, curves and hilly curves where I live, and I really don’t appreciate it when I’m blinded by the high beams of oncoming traffic, so I leave mine off to be considerate to others. I’ve seen AHBs work well in some situations, but just not in my area.

andy.connor.e | 2020年1月22日

Why does everyone put "this doesnt work" for Model S/X vehicles in Model 3 forums.

I dont believe OP