Forums

TACC failed along with wipers?

TACC failed along with wipers?

This is a 2019 M3, HW3, FSD, dual-motor with about 9500 miles. About 1/4 mile into my homeward commute, in the pouring rain, while on the phone in-car, the phone connection and all sound suddenly stopped. No voice dial, I redialed manually and finished the call on the handset. After that I noticed that the auto wipers didn’t turn on at all, in a pouring rainstorm, so I turned them on manually. Then upon getting onto a main road where I usually activate TACC the error message, “Cruise control not available” came up. Also, there were no traffic displays on the screen; the cars, orange cones, wayward trash cans, etc. had all disappeared. The ultrasonic sensors still worked and displayed their perimeter circles. GPS nav mapping and routing, including traffic, all worked.

Once home, I rebooted the GPU (both scroll dials down), powered off / on from the screen, and then powered off / on with the scroll wheels and brake pedal. Drove around the block and no joy }<.

I’m letting it sit overnight so it goes “to sleep”, and I’ll see what’s up in the morning. It’s not plugged in.

This is the second time this has happened, although slightly different than the first time — The GPS nav failed and the map was frozen along with all of the above. Both times at about the same spot as I headed home.

Anyone have similar experiences or advice?

apodbdrs | 2020年1月23日

Do a "bug report" next time or every time it occurs! I think you need to schedule service.

Sarah R | 2020年1月24日

@drjohn999 Just out of curiosity, is there something like an airport or radar installation near "that spot"? Microwave televisions relay? Radio station?

navt | 2020年1月24日

Yes. Same happened to me on the way back from the airport on the motorway. Cause: water ingress in wiring loom causing fault code.

FISHEV | 2020年1月24日

"This is the second time this has happened, although slightly different than the first time — The GPS nav failed and the map was frozen along with all of the above. Both times at about the same spot as I headed home."

Cruise control doesn't need GPS signal. It does go off in bad weather and cams lose their view. All the other control failures seem unrelated.

If you can get car to duplicate it, call Tesla via the Emergency Service number when it happens and have them look at the car in real time. They can see the faults and schedule service. Or note the time it happens and schedule a service and note the time and they can look for the faults.

RJMIII | 2020年1月24日

FISH, your comment was uncharacteristically helpful.

Where are the passive aggressive, poorly sourced, vague FUD comments thrown in to induce a response?

You could have at least brought in some classics like:

This is what happens when you are beta testing a product with your life.

Or

My (insert some other vehicle) would function better than this crappy Tesla TACC.

Or

Elon is the source of all evil in our current plane of existence.

EVRider | 2020年1月24日

@RJMIII: Your response was unhelpful and unnecessary. Flagged.

RJMIII | 2020年1月24日

@EVRider - you must not know who FISH is and must not be able to identify sarcasm.

Unflagged.

derotam | 2020年1月24日

@RJMIII: As is this post, yours was superfluous.

drjohn999 | 2020年1月24日

So next morning, as in the first occurrence, the M3 was back to normal, all functions A-OK.

This occurs on the campus of a well-known electronics manufacturer in the Portland area; I believe that the cell-phone interruption could be RFI related, but the loss of TACC could be more of a bug that’s incepted by the loss of connection, and possibly my punching various buttons on the screen to try to reconnect.

I plan now to try this again a few times and make some better observations as I go through that area. I’ll post on the results at some future point.

calvin940 | 2020年1月24日

@drjohn999

Definitely send a bug report. Logging issues like this is exactly it's raison d'etre.