Forums

NYC Covid-19 crisis

NYC Covid-19 crisis

I was just wondering: How does one keep the 6 foot distance in an elevator?

Update: I can just imagine a CEO and staff hoofing it up the stairs of ~50 story building getting to their penthouse offices.

Update: A woman in my area has solved the problem. At a Walmart she pepper-sprayed anyone trying to get on the elevator with her.

FISHEV | 2020年4月1日

Might want to move this to General. We have several medical professionals there with good data.

FISHEV | 2020年4月1日

Oops it is in General. Strong work.

Short answer is you can't really. Great time to take the stairs for exercise. Population density is why NYC infection rate is so high. There's no way to avoid it.

andy.connor.e | 2020年4月1日

"How does one keep the 6 foot distance in an elevator?"

Whelp, you kinda dont. Part of why that city is an epicenter. If you have to go out, wear a mask.

blkice | 2020年4月1日

There is one thing you can do, Just breath out not in

Ross1 | 2020年4月1日

go down while everyone else is going up

Ross1 | 2020年4月1日

you could, seriously, wear a trash/rubbish bag over your upper half in the elevator/lift. Clear one I guess.

SCCRENDO | 2020年4月1日

Cough when you get into the elevator. People will move. Just kidding

jimglas | 2020年4月1日

A big sneeze is much more effective

Orthopod | 2020年4月1日

Turn your face toward the elevator wall so your droplets stick to the wall instead of others people faces

Mike83 | 2020年4月1日

Just say that my TB treatment is going well

FISHEV | 2020年4月1日

In super markets they are putting "Stand Here" signs on the floor at check out so people maintain a safe distance. Putting them in elevators, facing the wall and limiting people in the elevator would be a good idea.

SCCRENDO | 2020年4月1日

@Mike. TB is a small threat. This is far more serious

Orthopod | 2020年4月2日

TB was easily treated with isoniazide rifampicine pyrazinamide ethambutol
And less contagious
Less deadly
Was forming a caseum in the lungs and you could be intermittently shredding mycobacterium tuberculosis for the rest of your life after surviving it in a sanatorium.

Good old days

FISHEV | 2020年4月2日

"What New York Looked Like During the 1918 Flu Pandemic The Spanish flu raced through crowded tenements and neighborhoods, killing more than 20,000 New Yorkers. But it could have been much worse."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/nyregion/spanish-flu-nyc-virus.html?a...

Interesting article on previous pandemic in New York. The Dr. Fauci of his time, Dr. Royal Copeland, was attacked just as Dr. Fauci is attacked by the Trumpers for telling the truth and getting people to act on facts.

Also interesting is that Dr Copeland was a Republican at the beginning of the Spanish Flu pandemic but became a Roosevelt New Deal Senator in large part based on his work in NYC. He saw the need for good government vs. no-government in the health care crisis of his time and in the economic crisis of his time.

rxlawdude | 2020年4月2日

Um @FactDoc, TB WAS easily treated. But now, TB is becoming multiple-drug-resistant. True that TB is a slower moving, more chronic disease, but it's just as deadly if resistant to treatment.

andy.connor.e | 2020年4月2日

Global cases just passed 1 million.

SCCRENDO | 2020年4月2日

@Rxlawdude. It’s been 40 years since I treated TB. Every second patient of mine in Soweto had TB. We used to use 5 drug therapy for years. Yes there is resistant TB now. But INH resistance is under 10 % and resistance to both INH and rifampin together is around 1%
https://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/statistics/tbtrends.htm

rxlawdude | 2020年4月2日

Maybe 1% in the US.
"While MDR TB and XDR TB are relatively rare in the U.S., their treatment comes at a terrible price – it is very expensive, takes a long time to complete, disrupts lives, and has potentially life-threatening side effects. A substantial proportion of patients treated for these forms of drug-resistant TB experience serious side effects, including: depression or psychosis, hearing loss, hepatitis, and kidney impairment.

The average cost of treating a person with TB disease increases with greater resistance. Direct costs (in 2016 U.S. dollars) average from $18,000 to treat drug-susceptible TB to $513,000 to treat the most drug-resistant form of the disease (XDR TB).When including productivity losses (e.g., lost income) experienced by patients while undergoing treatment, costs are even higher."
https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/drtb/default.htm

Worldwide, a different story:
The latest anti-TB drug resistance surveillance data show that
3.5% of new and 18% of previously treated TB cases in the
world are estimated to have multidrug-resistant or
rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis (MDR/RR-TB).
In 2017, an estimated 558 000 new cases of MDR/RR-TB
emerged globally. MDR/RR-TB caused 230 000 deaths in
2017. Most cases and deaths occurred in India and China.
About 8.5% of MDR-TB cases had extensively drug-resistant
TB (XDR-TB).
https://www.who.int/tb/areas-of-work/drug-resistant-tb/MDR-RR_TB_factshe...

rxlawdude | 2020年4月2日

@SCC, rare (1%) in the US. But,
"The latest anti-TB drug resistance surveillance data show that 3.5% of new and 18% of previously treated TB cases in the world are estimated to have multidrug-resistant or rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis (MDR/RR-TB).
In 2017, an estimated 558 000 new cases of MDR/RR-TB emerged globally. MDR/RR-TB caused 230 000 deaths in 2017. Most cases and deaths occurred in India and China. About 8.5% of MDR-TB cases had extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB).
https://www.who.int/tb/areas-of-work/drug-resistant-tb/MDR-RR_TB_factshe...

rxlawdude | 2020年4月2日

test post...

rxlawdude | 2020年4月2日

@SCC, from the WHO (forum software is rejecting my post with source url:
"The latest anti-TB drug resistance surveillance data show that 3.5% of new and 18% of previously treated TB cases in the world are estimated to have multidrug-resistant or rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis (MDR/RR-TB).
In 2017, an estimated 558 000 new cases of MDR/RR-TB emerged globally. MDR/RR-TB caused 230 000 deaths in 2017. Most cases and deaths occurred in India and China. About 8.5% of MDR-TB cases had extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB)."

Worldwide, the trend of MDR/RR-TB is increasing. But antimicrobial stewardship seems to definitely help slow the curve.

FISHEV | 2020年4月2日

EU has price controls on drugs which is why overall drugs in EU are 20% less than in US. Part of the reason US spends 18% of GDP on insurance industry based health care vs. EU health care based health care.

Trump and Pharma Bro, brothers in arms.

https://youtu.be/Z3_HTGdLXL4?t=245

SCCRENDO | 2020年4月2日

@Rxlawdude. Trust me I understand TB. I took 6 months of INH in the 90s. But it is not comparable to COVID. I had BCG but I have been consistently 4 plus positive on skin testing and Quantiferon. I likely got it from a patient and treated thousands over a 10 year period.

rxlawdude | 2020年4月3日

@SCC, I was not trying to equate TB with COVID. Simply pointing out that life forms mutate to survive, including microbes and viruses developing resistance to our armamentarium.

NKYTA | 2020年4月3日

If you aren’t staying at home as a non-essential, you are part of the problem.