Forums

Solar roof opinions wanted if you have them

Solar roof opinions wanted if you have them

I was on the wait list for the Solar Roof last year and a got the quote of ~$55 with 2 powerwalls. I dropped off the list since I was hoping to grab a few more years off my current roof, but I think time may be wearing thin. My dilemma is that I'm in DE and I don't have a huge power bill. I pay about 8 cents a KW so with my calculations, it'll never "pay itself off". We also have a pretty robust power infrastructure, we haven't lost power for more than 5 minutes in the past 2 years. Any thoughts that could make my decision easier? I love Tesla, M3 owner and long TSLA, but I'm having trouble swallowing the solar roof pill. I refuse to sell my stock to pay for the roof :)

Are there aspects I'm not considering? What's helped others make the decision?

TeslaTap.com | 2020年4月14日

Solar roof & Powerwalls make a lot more sense here in CA. The only other thought I can provide is the value of your home should increase. Around here, it's about 100% of the value of the solar roof increases the house value - but that's partly because house values are crazy high here in CA.

We also have major concerns about planned power outages in the PG&E area when the fire season starts up. They are now shutting power off to various areas for days to avoid creating fires when high winds occur that might down high-voltage lines.

Lastly, our peak power rate is about $0.42/kwh, so the solar roof and Powerwalls can really drop the electric costs, but perhaps not enough to pay for the system quickly.

On the surface, it doesn't sound like it makes total sense for you.

gregbrew | 2020年4月14日

Sometimes, it isn't about the Benjamins. My legacy of support for the environment, that I leave for my kids and their kids etc. is...priceless.

Good luck.

grins.va | 2020年4月15日

Prices may have gone down since your quote from one year ago.

carmen347 | 2020年4月16日

We're planning to build a home (in Missouri) and wondering if we should install solar panels now or wait until batteries are better. But then the tax credit is also going down after 2020...

dmanincali | 2020年4月16日

In addition to @gregbrew's comments I would add that the new roof looks great. Sure aesthetics are subjective but I'm very happy with the look of my nearly complete solar roof:

https://imgur.com/a/uskbvsk

grins.va | 2020年4月17日

@dmanincali - will they reinstall your old gutters and downspouts or will they all be new? Thanks.

gregbrew | 2020年4月17日

I would assume that you can specify new gutters and downspouts in your installation contract...but they won't be free.

TeslaTap.com | 2020年4月17日

@grins - when old gutters (which were in ok condition, but 25 years old) were removed, they were mostly destroyed. Not sure they can be removed all that easily and they do need to be removed to do the work for the solar roof. Anyway, I ended up with all new gutters and downspouts. When they are all off, it's a great time to paint behind where the gutters were and the downspouts - depending on your house style/design.

dmanincali | 2020年4月17日

Yes - they made me get all new gutters. For me that was the only other construction cost other than the roof pricing and powerwall pricing.

@TeslaTap.com - great tip on painting. I should take care of that before my gutter installation.

dmanincali | 2020年4月17日

Also, I think construction costs added will go up at some point as they learn more. For example my house has all sorts of ridges that take a lot of detail work to get right. But Tesla prices by sq. ft and watt so they don't account for all that detail work. Also, mid-project they realized i needed all new skylights to be compatible with their system. These are all things I'm not paying extra for.

So yes I'm paying the price in terms of project timeline for being an early adopter but I'm benefitting on the pricing end of things.

TeslaTap.com | 2020年4月17日

@dmanincali - I agree. I have 6 skylights and quite a few ridges/valleys, and each of these require a lot of metalwork/flashing. They did a great job, but I was surprised at how much work was involved. I think they could speed the work if some parts were pre-fabricated before the job started.

Talking with the installers, the v3 roof is far easier than the V2 roofs and the v3 costs seem to be about 1/2 of v2. In v2 they had to cut the glass, which was both time-consuming and they broke a lot of panels. The new glass system is far more resilient and you can walk on it all day without an issue. No glass cuts are made either - they have different sizes of glass panels. At a ridge/valley, they use metal to connect with the glass panels, where it's easy to cut one side of the metal panel diagonally.

bp | 2020年4月18日

Saw a post about another interesting option that we would have considered when planning our solar panels last year...

A European company will soon start selling in the US solar pavers that can be installed in driveways and sidewalks, sturdy enough to support vehicles driving over them.

Based on their datasheet, the pavers provide power per square foot similar to a 270 W solar panel.

While Musk tends not to do partnerships, this is a technology Tesla should consider, possibly through an acquisition to provide another option for adding solar.

If we decide to add any more solar to our house, we'd probably consider the driveway pavers instead of adding more solar panels or replacing some of the Spanish tiles on our roof.

grins.va | 2020年4月18日

Are you talking about the Platio solar paver or another manufacturer? Vehicle weight is fairly significant for a glass paver. Thanks.

rlwrw | 2020年4月18日

Here is Platio's website:

https://platiosolar.com

gregbrew | 2020年4月19日

How often does a home have large areas of hardscape that are not regularly covered by something? Driveways wouldn't work, at least not in my neighborhood. There are cars parked on them.

bp | 2020年4月20日

The solar pavers may not work for everyone. Driveways and sidewalks get shade from buildings, trees and vehicles.

But the same is true for solar panels. Homes may have large portions of the roof that are heavily shaded, facing the wrong direction, or are too small to hold panels. Solar roof tiles provide more flexibility, because they don't have the size restrictions of solar panels.

If a homeowner wants to generate solar panels - it's good to have multiple options to achieve the desired power output.

In our case, we maximized how many panels we could put on the best portion of our roof. The other areas have issues (smaller/irregularly shaped sections, facing the wrong direction, ...). If the driveway pavers had been available, we may have considered that as an option for some of our power, since simulations showed that some of the panels we installed would generate less power due to shade and direction.

If we were building our house today, we would have selected the solar roof tiles, which would have allowed us to concentrate the solar tiles on the portions of the roof with the maximum sun.

grins.va | 2020年4月20日

@bp - I am waiting the installation of a Solarglass roof and with luck it may happen by 2021. I am waiting for the “slate” type tiles. I have ample sun on my driveway and would consider solar pavers after the tiles and Powerwalls are installed. Were you looking at the Platio pavers specifically or another brand? I would like to weigh all my options. Thanks.

bp | 2020年4月21日

I've only seen the Platio pavers. It's such a great idea, Tesla should be looking at adding that as a 3rd solar option for their installs.