Forums

Question about heat transfer from the glass roof

Question about heat transfer from the glass roof

Does anyone have knowledge of the properties of the glass as it concerns heat transfer? Living in sunny hot areas of the South, heat/sun can be a problem. Is it insulated? Ceramic tint? Any details would be greatly appreciated.

martinmitchell | 2016年4月3日

I have no knowledge but an S owner I spoke with regarding the same concern, yesterday, said heat is totally managed in his.

NKYTA | 2016年4月3日

Aftermarket tint helps a ton.

jordanrichard | 2016年4月3日

variable310, presumably you watched the reveal. If so, then you know as much as we do.

I have the Pano roof in my MS and there is no issue with heat, even when I was in FL with the car. Now admittedly the pano roof is tinted and from pictures of the M≡, the area above the rear passengers appeared to be clear glass. So, time will tell if they decide to tint it in the same manner as the X's windshield.

Mireille and Conan | 2016年4月3日

Have had an MS through three AZ summers and the pano is great; no problem w/heat transfer. Pre-cooling the car is awesome too :) I expect the M☰ roof will be as good or better. Teslas only improve.

eye.surgeon | 2016年4月3日

Have an MS with Pano in Fresno, one of the hottest summer climates in the US. Hasn't been an issue. I assume the M3 glass will have the same treatment if not better than the current MS pano roof.

jbunn | 2016年4月3日

I have an S in California with the pano roof and the cabin stays cool. The glass is VERY VERY effective at letting in the light but keeping out the infrared heat.

yongliangzhu68 | 2016年4月4日

If overly concerned about heat go with the sold roof. It was stated that there would be 3 options available .

Solid
Pano
Glass

Haggy | 2016年4月4日

There have been times I've driven the Model S when it was over 100 degrees outside and I never noticed until I got out of the car. That was on long trips where I started out somewhere much cooler, and I never noticed the heat or a drop in range from the AC.