Forums

Model 3 could be a great police car?

Model 3 could be a great police car?

How about this:

Police departments get the largest battery size car available (around 300 miles). Could the Model 3 ~500ft front radar and 360 degree sonar be adapted to serve as a police interceptor? Like monitor losers who are speeding and automatically identify them with the Model 3 built in cameras? Could the battery supply enough power for the various police support gear in the car and greatly reduce operational costs with fuel and maintenance? Could the Tesla cars battery resist shootings?
At $35K (plus cost of a bigger battery) this seems to me a real possibility. If so, expect line to get a Model 3 increase some more...

Red Sage ca us | 2016年4月12日

The Model ☰ will make for a spectacular police cruiser.

Ross1 | 2016年4月13日

....complete with electric chair for offenders.....

Change from gas asphyxiation tho

ArieK | 2016年4月13日

Funny how suitability of a Tesla for police was discussed exactly 5 years ago :-)

https://forums.teslamotors.com/de_AT/forum/forums/model-s-police-vehicle

bcfireworks | 2016年4月13日

Most police cars sit around (donut shop parking lots, side of road, etc) doing nothing. In an audit of in-car data usage on their in-car computers, was the most used interface with the FBI database? Nope. State Police database? Nope. Netflix...

john.tara.ford | 2016年4月13日

F the Police! :)

PhillyGal | 2016年4月13日

Yes, it would, but for other reasons.

The cost of charging is cheaper than gas.
The range is plenty for a one day tour in most jurisdictions.
You don't waste gas idling to keep the car warm/cool when you're stopped for various reasons (paperwork, stationary watch, etc.)
Speed and silence go without saying.

PhillyGal | 2016年4月13日

*other reasons also.

jordanrichard | 2016年4月13日

Actually a used MS would be more adaptable for police duty. Consider how much gear the police need to carry in their trunks and all the extra equipment in the front. I think a M≡ would be too small for that.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年4月13日

jordanrichard: Meh. I've seen some pretty small vehicles used as police cars. The Model ☰ will have more storage than them all. Besides, shotguns aren't all that big anyway... And I doubt the Model S was engineered to receive a push bar on the front. Hopefully, Model ☰ will. Hey, maybe someone with a Twitter account will mention this to Elon, just in case?

jordanrichard | 2016年4月13日

I guess I am basing my remarks on the typical sized police cruiser here in CT/New England. They are a mix of Crown Vics, Dodge Chargers, Ford Explorers, and Chevy Malibu's.

jordanrichard: The Crown Victoria, LTD, and Grand Marquis are all long gone, along with the Chevrolet Caprice, Pontiac Bonneville, and Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. Per the EPA, Dodge Charger and Ford Taurus are classified as Large cars, while Ford Fusion, and Chevrolet Malibu are Midsize cars and all are currently used as police cars. I have also seen the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry used as police cars, both are Midsize. I expect the Tesla Model ☰ will also be Midsize in designation due to interior volume and cargo space. It isn't about the height or length of the vehicle, and certainly isn't about the imposing hood with a big hunk of metal heat generator underneath it.

;-)

Personally, I think the Tesla Model ☰ will have no problem stacking up very well against its competition:

Sporty Police Cars
http://www.government-fleet.com/article/story/2011/03/sporty-police-cars...

Ten Best Police Cars in the World
http://www.wonderslist.com/top-10-best-police-cars-world/

smiffy99 | 2016年4月13日

Elon should come out with 'donut mode' - a 0 to 60 of 2.0 seconds and a giant taser front and back.

MarlonBrown | 2016年4月13日

I suspect if the battery is protected by a titanium plate, these cars could be very resistant against shootings no? Anyone has seen any Model S used with armor enforcement before? I guess it could be great. Sure the range would be diminished by the additional weight, but in the feature once the battery range is extended, I guess that could work well.

dd.micsol | 2016年4月14日

State Cops in VT have hellcats. I think there are 4 of them. 206 mph to catch your sorry booty.

Ross1 | 2016年4月14日

police cars, rental cars, fleet cars, government cars

most of the market in there, but not included in the forward orders tally

Bighorn | 2016年4月14日

@Marlon
No titanium plate on battery--it's aluminum.

Bighorn | 2016年4月14日

@dd
Link to VT Hellcat factoid?
Dodge's Pursuit package is based on the Charger--won't catch a Hellcat.

damonmath | 2016年4月14日

I believe LA was flirting with the idea for the Model S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4kGHDtzuYQ

Neez | 2016年4月14日

For a smaller sheriff's department where officers can each have their own take home car, it might be feasible. But not for urban police cars, which run non-stop 24 hours a day for 3 shifts. They only get shut off for service. Also for the winter and hot summer months, heating and cooling the car for the entire 8 hour shift might be an issue as well.

So to be feasible for any major police department, they would need twice as many cars so you can charge one car between shifts. The cost of the car may be $35k, but in reality to outfit each police cruiser with lights and equipment, it'll be more like $60k per car ready for duty. The costs are too prohibitive for a large department to use fleetwide.

However, it wouldn't be unreasonable for parking enforcement and maybe special units like k9(model X or hatchback model 3). Also a large department could just own a few cars and give them to a few tech savvy officers. I don't see why not.

jordanrichard | 2016年4月14日

Red Sage, ya I know those cars are no longer made, but that doesn't mean they are still not in service. All of the CT state trooper cars are either Crown Vics or Dodge Chargers. Obviously as the Vis are retired they are replaced with Chargers.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年4月14日

Neez: When you pass by a police station, sheriff's department, or courthouse here in Los Angeles, the parking lot is always full of cruisers. Cops here seem to have as many vehicles on patrol as they have parked somewhere at any given time. I'm sure that municipalities that got the Dodge Avenger a few years ago would love to replace them with the Tesla Model ☰ instead.

yongliangzhu68 | 2016年4月15日

I'll play a little Devil' advocate: Concern of unknown or unforeseen consequences . Emergency services have a LONG history and understanding of just about all aspects of operating ICE's that are specced and well tested for emergency response. Emergency responses can't afford to be early adopters just to be first. When lives are on the line you stick with what you know and understand.