Forums

No Drivers Display

No Drivers Display

When I was driving my Model S today I noticed that I frequently looked at the drivers display and not at the 17 inch screen. Such displays have been in the same location in analog and digital form for as long as I can remember. I'm concerned that the single landscape display will be too busy to easily evaluate. Important information such as speed, signals, warning lights, navigation and more are best quickly seen in a driver's display. Aside from that I think that the empty dash looks desolate and bleak. Don't like it.

The one smaller landscape display will prove to be an issue for some drivers. Of course I haven't seen it or driven it (yet ordered it) so I'm not certain. Anyone who has driven it have an opionion about the new design ?

oneill.mike9 | 2016年4月15日

I believe that design wasnt finished according to Ryan Mcaffery's (I think) podcast this week. The dash is still being tweaked probably.

peter.graesslin | 2016年4月16日

As Elon Musk said, the final Model ≡ will have futuristic steering controls like a spaceship. So i think there will be two ways to acomplish that. The rumor says it will be a HUD. But my guess goes in a different direction. A HUD does not give you that spaceship feeling. If you look at the porsche concept car with the instrumentpanel directly connected to the steeringwheel, then i would feel the "spaceship". This would also fit better to the model ≡ sketches, with the half open steeringwheel...

No matter what it will be, it will work for me either way!

yongliangzhu68 | 2016年4月16日

Keep in mind that the Model S center display is located much farther down than it will be on the Model 3. On the Model 3 it is up high and will be in your peripheral vision's line of sight. Speed and driver info will be in the top left corner. This will make it more easily visible than glancing down since our vision is naturally 'widescreen'. Looking down and refocusing on the internment panel (or even worse the steering wheel) is actually a type of distracted driving. Also I believe it will have a HUD further reducing distracted driving.

Your eyes should/need to be on the road at all times and I believe the Tesla Model 3 will be the first car to allow this and I also foresee Musk touting this 'as one of the most important safety features ever added to a car' at event 2.

David Trushin | 2016年4月16日

The initial design for the model x had cameras instead of side view mirrors. That hasn't happened mainly because mirrors are a simple utilitarian design and replacing them with a more complex technological alternative made no sense. Plus there were safety and regulatory issues. I think the same will be true of the dash display. Also, the model 3 is a mass market vehicle and the mass market doesn't always embrace changes to fundamental functions. Getting many people to go all electric will be a giant first step. Space ships can come later.

cephellow | 2016年4月16日

@David-
>>That hasn't happened mainly because mirrors are a simple utilitarian design and replacing them with a more complex technological alternative made no sense

No, it hasn't happened mainly to do with the way the law is written. For an EV, the amount of drag the mirrors produce easily warrant the change to cameras. The cameras can also be used as part of the sensor suite for autonomous functions. If Tesla didn't have legal hurdles, those 'simple' (motorized folding electrchromatc mirrors) would have been 86'd on the very first S.

mauiman313 | 2016年4月16日

For some people who may be blind in their right eye the single screen could be a problem

Haggy | 2016年4月16日

"For some people who may be blind in their right eye the single screen could be a problem"

Not if they are in Australia.

ashahvek | 2016年4月16日

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of a dashboard. It's essentially confirmed now that the Model 3 will have some form of a HUD. Tesla just poached the principal design engineer of Skully Helmets (think google glass).

Red Sage ca us | 2016年4月16日

"How does Fury see these?"

"He turns."

'The AVENGERS' (2012)

carlk | 2016年4月16日

No drivers display because you're not a driver. You are in a spacecraft.

Sparky | 2016年4月16日

LOL Haggy! Good one!