Forums

Model 3 Nose Needs the S facelift

Model 3 Nose Needs the S facelift

I appreciate Elon's vision and design input on the 3 but the front appears unfinished. It is in dier need of the new S front top nose detail treatment.
The new S nose facelift is awesome and really finishes the design in an EV friendly way.

Sparky | 2016年5月3日

I disagree. I think the 3 looks much cleaner and better than the new S, even before the tweaking alluded to by Elon.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年5月3日

I like them both.

carlgo2 | 2016年5月3日

IMO it either needs to be rounded off, add a molding or add the late model grill or similar. I don't hate it, but it looks unfinished. I appreciate minimalism and would probably like the rounded off look the best.

I do like the X and new S nose. Very crisp and modern. I see Teslas coming my way every day now and I thought the old style, while extremely attractive, was just a bit bulbous up front.

Finally saw an X, briefly as it was traveling very fast in the oncoming lane, but the front looked very good, stood out from the other cars and certainly made my car look...really old. Maybe it was the lighting, but it seemed to be a very deep almost burgundy red. Looked great.

PaceyWhitter | 2016年5月3日

You want the moustache? Interesting. Guess everybody's taste differs.

topher | 2016年5月3日

The S seems to have a vent behind that mustache, the ≡ does not need one there, so it would (presumably) be a black color element. Not much point IMHO, get some vinyl or plasti-dip if you want it.

I reiterate, Tesla, do what gives the best Cd, both with and without, license plates.

Thank you kindly.

topher | 2016年5月3日

The difference between 0.21 and 0.22 drag coefficient could be up to $6,000 in energy costs over the life of the car. Or $3 Billion for every year of production at 500k cars per year.

Thank you kindly.

Tesla-David | 2016年5月3日

I like the nose of Model≡ the way it is.

JeffreyR | 2016年5月3日

@topher noted, "The difference between 0.21 and 0.22 drag coefficient could be up to $6,000 in energy costs over the life of the car. Or $3 Billion for every year of production at 500k cars per year."

Wow, that's a lot! Care to show your work a bit so that the rest of us can follow along (and enter in our energy costs)? Makes me wish that the DOT would get over their fears and allow side-view cameras. Also makes me hope that these cameras could be added later. Sounds like even a $800 cost would be well worth it. I can see how that would be very difficult. But, looking at @topher's numbers, it seems like it would be very helpful.

jschnyderite | 2016年5月3日

love the M3 as is. if you want a car that looks like the model S, get a model S

PhillyGal | 2016年5月3日

Eh, agree to disagree. I like it better the way it is.

dachuyn | 2016年5月3日

NO!!!

Just kidding... But that shows how strongly I would disagree.

I think the current M3 nose looks best. But i dont mind if the bumpers are wider and lower ...

topher | 2016年5月3日

@Jeffery

The in-the-shower calculation is: 0.21 over 0.22 is about 5% improvement. Highway driving is dominated by the drag portion of the power calc for cars, which is proportional to drag coefficient. So we are talking about 5% * total miles * kWh / miles * $ / kWh → 1/20 * 200,000 * 1/3 * 1/6 ~= $600
Which is, embarrassingly, an order of magnitude off. No idea where that 0 went.

See what you get if you calculate in the shower?

Thank you kindly.

eriklarsonaz | 2016年5月3日

I would like to own a car (pretty much any) that doesn't look like a cartoon character's face or in the case of most Asian import cars an angry puppy from a Manga book.

Frank99 | 2016年5月3日

>> See what you get if you calculate in the shower?

Perfectly understandable mistake - you were doing math in base-11 in the shower. That would throw anyone off.

Nexxus | 2016年5月4日

I try to refrain from doing math in the shower. I just sing.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年5月4日

dachuyn: The bumper area is already very, very low for a sedan. Take a closer look at side views of the car. The leading edge is below the top edge of the wheel. The tires only have a 26.5" diameter. I think the front of the car is lower than a typical coffee table already.

dachuyn | 2016年5月4日

Cant wait to see that "cute" unfinished nose in my garage ... :-)

mos6507 | 2016年5月4日

I think the blank face crosses the line into ecomod weirdmobile territory. Some concessions need to be made towards aesthetics. Front fascia of some sort is something people expect to see. The Porsche-like badge above the nose is barely visible.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年5月4日

I could get used to the Porsche/Ferrari location of the marque badge.

The front end reminds me a lot of this:

dachuyn | 2016年5月4日

Good one ...Red Sage!

Red Sage ca us | 2016年5月5日

And maybe a little bit more of this:

dachuyn | 2016年5月5日

I like the "TONGUE" (bottom) to stick out too ... 2-3 inches more than the nose. Plus the nose needs to stick straight out ... not up (like right now)... although it can stick out straight down a bit ...

Anyway, English isnt my first langauage :-)

rmitchum | 2016年5月8日

Bump to test

sungenix | 2016年5月10日

I like the new S grill...errr I mean "nose"... a lot. With the T emblem on the 3 can be bigger / more prominent

Red Sage ca us | 2016年5月10日

I suspect a lot of people would like to see the 'T' more prominent, as Mercedes-AMG does. But I believe that Tesla Motors would prefer to be slightly more understated in that regard.

Sparky | 2016年5月10日

A conformal "T" on the hood which is a hologram would stand out a lot and wouldn't disturb the airflow at all.

The flying hippie | 2016年5月11日

I agree with Topher in that the priority should be drag coefficient. That said, what makes an object aerodynamic is its ability to return the air back where it was before disturbing it, hence the raindrop shape being more aerodynamic than a sphere. They would get most bang for the buck playing with the rear diffuser and tapering the back end. Most people aren't ready for that yet though as it's still weirdmobile territory. I like the nose as is and would be disappointed if it had the mustache for the sake of looks. If it turns out the mustache is more aerodynamic, then I will accept it. Now what did I do with my pizza pans?