Forums

Aus review of BMW 3 series hybrid 330e

Aus review of BMW 3 series hybrid 330e

Goes about a mile on a charge.

Yet, it fits between i3 and the bigger one i8.

This is the competition for M3.

The prices are in Aus dollars.

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/reviews/1605/2016-bmw-iperformance-330e-review/

slasher0016 | 2016年5月9日

It's a hybrid with an electric range of 30km. I don't consider that as competition.

jordanrichard | 2016年5月9日

"This is the competition for M3", according to who? The only competition for the M≡ will be the Bolt, if one can consider the Bolt "competition"

PaceyWhitter | 2016年5月9日

It is competition in so much as the whole 3 series line is competition. It is not competition of you are looking to do most of your driving on electricity. It also has only 250 horsepower and 0-60 over 6 sec.

If you want an ev BMW, it looks like they are coming out with the i5 about the same time as the 3, but it will probably be more expensive.

jordanrichard | 2016年5月9日

Well, I guess this brings up the question of what defines "competition. Would a Mercedes C-Class Diesel be competition for a BMW 3 Series gas car? I don't know that people cross shop engine types. One doesn't just happen to settle on a diesel powered car/truck.

People tend to cross shop similar cars and the defining element of a car/truck is the "power plant".

Ross1 | 2016年5月9日

I am cross shopping, the consistent theme is trunk access as in hatch or wagon. The engine is less important. I have had diesel for 13 years, but with the extra initial cost against higher efficiency it tends to equal out.
An Audi hybrid A3 hatch here is about $25000 more in AUS, but I notice they depreciate that amount almost immediately.
So it comes down to cost incl depreciation, running costs, service costs, close or not to service dealer.
So I cross shop. And my wife's power of veto.
(There are only 7 Models S in my state and no service infrastructure)

bj | 2016年5月9日

@Ross - Only 7 MS? Where do you live? Tassie? There was a Tesla meet in Bowral (NSW) in January and 37 showed up! Presumably most from Sydney driving down for the day.

Ross1 | 2016年5月10日

Yep, Tasmania. And of those David Walsh has 2.
My figure from Phil who showed his car at Devonport car show.
The Tesla sales guy thought maybe 9

sp_tesla | 2016年5月10日

"30km real-world electric range is enough to get the majority of people to work and back emission free."

In SoCal minimum of 50-60 miles is needed.

FelixMendeldog | 2016年5月10日

Pathetic.

Ross1 | 2016年5月10日

The point I understated was that in the light of Tesla's M3 publicity for a few years, saying they, TM, were pitching against the 3-series, this thing is what BMW are responding with to TAKE THE MARKET all off Tesla.

This is BMW's compelling EV designed to disrupt Tesla.
I think they might have got a big surprise at all the pentup demand. : how many 330-e orders do they have?
ROFL.

KP in NPT | 2016年5月10日

It's kind of sad. The Model 3 is going to totally disrupt their big seller(s) esp in the US and this is what they came up with? They can't react fast enough.