Forums

Cd improvement

Cd improvement

Anybody have any idea how much the Cd of a Model S would improve by removing the side view mirrors?

I'm wondering if the 0.21 Cd that Elon quoted as a maybe for the Model 3, might be predicated on getting permission from the US DOT to remove the side view mirrors.

/frank

Remnant | 2016年5月10日

Tesla should be able to determine that without permission.

One wonders whether M☰ should be delivered with detachable side mirrors, because there is a definite possibility for them to become optional before long. The M☰ owner should be enabled to install an after-market camera-based rearview system, if Tesla does not supply an OEM one.

Supraman | 2016年5月10日

I presume the only objection to a camera-based side/rear view system is the possibility of the system failing.

Couldn't Tesla design a hybrid (for want of a better word) side view mirror, where there are mounting points on the camera assembly to attach real mirrors that would ordinarily be stored with the first aid kit and the warning triangle.

Hi_Tech | 2016年5月10日

The cameras would require monitors inside the vehicle near the location where the mirrors currently are. That would be an added cost to include right now, while not knowing what or when the regulation may change. Cheaper and easier to just build it in a manor to allow for that install/retro-fit in the future.

TeslaTap.com | 2016年5月10日

I'd say the chances of the regulations changing in the USA to allow side cameras are close to nill. By nature regulators can only add regulations. Like our tax code, it is almost impossible to remove /change a regulation once created no matter the value.

Even if the USA were to change the regulations, you have another 100+ countries to try and make the same change. It would take many-many years to get a consistent standard - so mirrors are here to stay.