Forums

Hatchback or Notchback Option

Hatchback or Notchback Option

I understand this is a controversial topic, but it is undeniable that there are a large group who wants a hatchback. Perhaps create an option where customers are able to choose a hatchback or notchback option when ordering?

Currently, I prefer a hatchback version with the Model X's large windshield in the front instead of a large glass in the back.

What do you think? Which version would you choose?

PaceyWhitter | 2016年7月11日

The only way to know that it is a controversial topic is to have read the other threads on this exact topic. If you did that, why wouldn't you just post in one of those other hundred threads?

zakeeus | 2016年7月11日

Omg this again

dsvick | 2016年7月12日

@PaceyWhitter - yes, exactly! +100

jordanrichard | 2016年7月12日

Find another car currently on the market where you have the option of the sedan version and a hatchback version. There may be a "fair number", but statistically more people buy 4 door sedans than hatchbacks.

grashelm | 2016年7月12日

"I understand this is a controversial topic, but it is undeniable that there are a large group who wants a hatchback."

No it's not.

EaglesPDX | 2016年7月12日

I don't think it's controversial, a lot of people have noted that a hatchback would have been a better design choice than the trunk design Tesla is going with. A legitimate request and one that Musk has attempted to address by "fixing the trunk problem" with a higher opening which is what a hatchback would provide.

jjoelkhoury | 2016年7月12日

I throw up at the idea of ever owning a hatchback.

johnse | 2016年7月12日

OP will likely be a better fit for the Model Y

Badbot | 2016年7月12日

all the hatch lovers should cancel when the M3 shows up without 1

b.bezjak | 2016年7月13日

I love hatchbacks.

+1 for me.

jordanrichard | 2016年7月13日

A M≡ hatchback will be called the Model Y but don't expect it at the same time as the M≡, unless they reveal it at the 2nd M≡ reveal..

cheleball | 2016年7月13日

@jordanrichard "Find another car currently on the market where you have the option of the sedan version and a hatchback version. There may be a "fair number", but statistically more people buy 4 door sedans than hatchbacks."

Ford Focus. Mazda 3. Kia Forte. VW Golf and Jetta. Basically every Volvo. Subaru Impreza. Toyota Prius. I'm sure I missed some. It's not as rare as you're imagining.

finman100 | 2016年7月13日

The 2001-03 Prius was a sedan. only. these days you'd be hard pressed to find a Prius sedan in the 2004 and up series. just saying.

that said, I'm in the Tesla camp any way you can get me an affordable long-distance EV. If it's a sedan, then puppies will adjust to back seat area. if a hatch, then no adjustment needed (Prius owner of 10 plus years and current Leafer). I prefer a hatch for versatility, but have no qualms about a sedan.

Go Elon!

cheleball | 2016年7月13日

@finman100 "The 2001-03 Prius was a sedan. only. these days you'd be hard pressed to find a Prius sedan in the 2004 and up series. just saying."

I was thinking of the Prius C and V, which are both hatchbacks.

In truth, I was just being obnoxious. I don't actually think Tesla should offer a sedan and hatchback option on the 3, at least not at launch. Simplicity will increase the odds that they'll hit their (extraordinarily optimistic) production timelines. I would prefer a hatch (my current car is a hatch), but I recognize that I am in the minority in this country.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年7月13日

I wouldn't mind if the Model 3 Coupe had a liftback, along with Falcon Wing Doors.

Badbot | 2016年7月13日

I hope the Y is a pickup.
Basing it on the X platform and putting the second battery pack under the load bed.
possibly making mods to speed assembly.

Trucks are outselling hatches I think.
The margins are better and it should be simple to execute.
Getting more use from the S/X line.

bernard.holbrook | 2016年7月13日

A hatchback would improve the 3 by giving it more utility.

SUN 2 DRV | 2016年7月13日

Virtually all modern Prius are Hatchbacks. That's one of the reasons they look the way they do, with their high roof line and big back end.

Elon wanted a sexier look for the Model 3.

Drdpharris | 2016年7月13日

Also, aerodynamics ... a proper hatchback would decrease range.

wrightmikeb | 2016年7月13日

The Audi A3, which I think is the main competitor for M ☰ is available as sedan and hatchback in some markets.

CC396 | 2016年7月13日

@PaceyWhitter, @dsvick, what you said is true, but also trying to keep the topic relevant.
@jordanrichard, shying away from the problem isn't solving the problem. Why are most of us purchasing the Model 3? The main reason is because of the lower cost / starting price. If we all the cash or the Model S starts at a way more affordable price and it have no sedan version, I have no doubts many of us will still purchase it even though it is a hatchback. Also, based on my knowledge (I maybe wrong), but I have never or rarely heard about Model S owners and customer complain that it is a hatchback. Also, isn't the rumoured Model Y supposed to be a CUV / SUV?

I am simply asking / hoping Tesla will give us an option. The Model 3 can have multiple version such as a sedan, hatchback, and even a coupe version as I see @Red Sage ca us is interested in a coupe. Just like Honda, a hatchback version will be released under the Civic lineup.

@cheleball, I understand what you are saying, but perhaps they should give us a hint that there may be some other versions available for the Model 3 lineup in the future if they are successful with the initial launch or have enough support for other versions. Along with a hint, give customers an option to postpone their purchase until the release of the other versions for those who prefer other versions of the Model 3. If Tesla really wants to simplify things, then maybe they poll and let the vote decide which version to create just like Britain decided to leave the EU.

@Red Sage ca us a coupe with falcon wings doors will look nice and sexy!

CC396 | 2016年7月13日

@cheleball, (addon / continuation), if Tesla wants to simplify, a vote will also make sense, because clearly you already see the division in this post.

grashelm | 2016年7月13日

You can cry and whine all you want. There won't be a hatchback option.

purdy007boy | 2016年7月13日

Please PLEASE P L E A S E offer a hatch at the part 2 unveil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EaglesPDX | 2016年7月13日

@ cchui396 "I am simply asking / hoping Tesla will give us an option. The Model 3 can have multiple version such as a sedan, hatchback."

The key to keeping the cost of the T3 down is not offering multiple versions, to standardize and produce a lot of that standard. For example, it looks like all the T3's will have the 250 mile range battery and all the Autopilot features built in. People will pay extra to activate them by Tesla will keep production costs down by making just one car.

I too would like a hatchback version of the T3 but Musk has addressed the concern of many buyers by redesigning the trunk so it opens up higher.

If a $45K Model X2 is offered before my T3 is delivered, I'd probably go for that vs. the T3.

VicF | 2016年7月14日

I would prefer a hatchback for usability. I really do not need huge glass in the back.

SamO | 2016年7月14日

Hatchback version is called Model Y. Coming "soon".

sumit1 | 2016年7月14日

Hatchback for me all the way. Wife, two kids, two dogs....Notch-back is for single painted nails and pretty boys.

damonmath | 2016年7月14日

I would take a hatch back over a sedan... The Model S is technically a hatch back even though it's advertised as a sedan.

I have owned the following hatchbacks:
Triumph
VW Scirocco
Datsun 280Z
Nissan 280ZX
Renault Fuego
Ford Focus (2 of these)
Volvo V40
Volvo V70

Would have bought the CLS550 Shooting Brake, but it never came to America.

Ross1 | 2016年7月14日

I think a lot of people are confusing the terms hatchback, liftback etc.

Unfortunately this is the manufacturers' faults.

A short stubby hatch doesn't help with load carrying, but a longer liftback style walks all over a stubby when it comes to carrying big stuff.
And the normal sedan is hard to load big stuff in even with 2nd row folders.

Give me a long hatch always, or a smart looking wagon. Sedans are for people who also have trucks or utes. A good sized hatch with a towbar negates the use for a truck.

And SUVs; wife won't have one as she gets her dress dirty climbing over the high lip.

CC396 | 2016年7月15日

@purdy007boy, yes please!
@EaglesPDX I agree with you it may cost more, but you forgot to quote my second part, which is to create a poll and let the customer vote. Let the vote decide which model Tesla should create. Tesla should consider the voting option as you can already see the division based on this forum. Many of us want a hatchback instead of notchback. Aside from voting, I have also mention that Tesla can tease a hatchback version maybe coming if the Model 3 initial launch is successful and have enough support for a hatchback version. I am sure I wouldn't mind waiting for another 1-2 years for the hatchback version after the Model 3 come out.
@VicF Yes, "I would prefer a hatchback for usability. I really do not need huge glass in the back." 300% agree with you. I understand the reason behind the huge glass in the back, but I honestly don't frequently have people sitting in the back of the car. So no use for the rear glass, but am sure many people do which is why this topic is split by two different groups.
@damonmath, yes, Model S is a hatchback, but I am sure many of us in this forum will purchase a Model S if we all have the money or starts at a more affordable price regardless if it is not a sedan.

Badbot | 2016年7月15日

I asked the ASPCA and they request that you stop beating the DEAD HORSE !!
It's 4 doors get over it.

deeageux | 2016年7月15日

Tesla does not have the resources of Toyota, Ford, GM and VW etc therefore can not offer multiple versions of the same car at modest increases in price.

M3 will be a sedan. Better range(aerodynamics) and rear seat headroom vs hatchback.

A few years later Model Y will be a compact CUV.

Don't like the Tesla cars on the timetable Tesla has given? Get another car.

dsvick | 2016年7月15日

@cchui396 - "create a poll and let the customer vote. Let the vote decide which model Tesla should create. Tesla should consider the voting option as you can already see the division based on this forum."

Not everyone that will buy a M3 visits this forum.
Even if they sent a letter to everyone that reserved they would likely get less than 50% response.
They are, most likely, done with the design phase at this point anyway so a poll would not accomplish anything.
Designing and building anything by committee is a horible idea.
Lastly, and most importantly, they have no need to do a poll when they can look at historical data regarding the types of cars people purchase. In the US, where most Tesla's are sold, the overwhelming body type is a sedan. Yes, hatches are more popular in other countries but the whole goal is to get more cars into more people's hands to further the EV cause.

damonmath | 2016年7月15日

@dsvick - "Designing and building anything by committee is a horible idea."

+1 million

CC396 | 2016年7月18日

@dsvick, "Not everyone that will buy a M3 visits this forum." Agree, but just like election themselves, not everyone will go out and vote. Highly doubt we will get 100% participation.
"Even if they sent a letter to everyone that reserved they would likely get less than 50% response." They don't have to send out letters, they can just email and simply ask them to click there preference, Hatch or Notch. Everyone checks there e-mail and just tap / click which ever one they prefer. Total process should take less than a minute.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年7月18日

It could definitely work for a coupe.

EaglesPDX | 2016年7月18日

@cchui396 "I agree with you it may cost more, but you forgot to quote my second part, which is to create a poll and let the customer vote. Let the vote decide which model Tesla should create. Tesla should consider the voting option as you can already see the division based on this forum."

I think that is essentially what Tesla did, listened to the customers, and responded by in effect creating a hatchback by moving the hinge up as far as they could (in back of the rear seat passengers head) which creates a much larger (which is what Musk said the change entailed) opening that provides the functionality people are looking for in a hatchback

jamilworm | 2016年7月18日

I have to admit that I prefer hatchbacks, but I will buy the 3 whether it is or not. Right now I have a Fit, and I am constantly amazed at how much space it has. Last Saturday my wife and I went to a baby shower and our gift was a car seat. We were going to take her Corolla except then the car seat box wouldn't fit in the trunk, in the rear seat, or in the front passenger seat. It easily fit in the back of my Fit without putting any seats down and without obstructing my view. It's times like those that will probably keep making me wish my 3 was a hatchback even as cool as it will be.

ccsccs7 | 2016年7月19日

I like the security of a trunk to store things that might attract attention should they be visible through a window.

EaglesPDX | 2016年7月19日

@ccsccs7 "I like the security of a trunk to store things that might attract attention should they be visible through a window."

All hatchbacks have a cover attached to top of back seat that covers the trunk area, unless of course the item is too large and it is to carry such items that makes the hatchback design so utilitarian and desirable.

Rocky_H | 2016年7月19日

@ccsccs7, My wife has always had that same concern about hatchbacks, but when we were configuring stuff on the Tesla, she found that it has a closed in front trunk, so she said she doesn't care if the back hatch is see-through, and we didn't want to have that cover in the way in the back.

SUN 2 DRV | 2016年7月19日

cchui396: You only get to vote with your wallet.... voting is expected to begin in late 2017... you can have your say then...

ccsccs7 | 2016年7月19日

@Rocky_H: Of course! That makes a difference. Thanks. Now I'm left to wonder if they can be locked in a way that only a key can open them. My current car has a lock on the internal (in cabin) trunk release.

Tiebreaker | 2016年7月19日

You can definitely influence Tesla. Buy a lot of stock. Really a lot. 51% or more of all shares. Then you can tell Tesla to do anything you want.

Rocky_H | 2016年7月19日

@ccsccs7, One of the aspects of the "valet mode" that they introduced last year was that if you put it in that mode, the frunk and the glove box cannot be opened. So that's your secure locked storage.

FelixMendeldog | 2016年7月19日

@ jjoelkhoury | July 12, 2016 “I throw up at the idea of ever owning a hatchback.”

Really? Hatchbacks are great. The Tesla Model S is a hatchback. Do you throw up at the idea of owning a Tesla Model S? I really doubt it.

jamilworm | 2016年7月19日

My Fit doesn't have the rear area cover, but the windows are tinted so you can't see in. I don't keep anything valuable back there anyway.

CC396 | 2016年7月20日

@Red Sage ca us, looks awesome especially with those doors!!! By the way, how did you upload the image to the forums?
@EaglesPDX, yes the design, but how about the space? In the rear of the hatchback, the space is opened creating more flexible space while a sedan isolate the rear seats with the trunk space creating barriers. I understand some people are concerned about privacy which is why they have a cover for it.
@FelixMendeldog, "Really? Hatchbacks are great. The Tesla Model S is a hatchback. Do you throw up at the idea of owning a Tesla Model S? I really doubt it." EXACTLY!!! THANK YOU!!! BEEN SAYING THAT FOR A WHILE. "Why are most of us purchasing the Model 3? The main reason is because of the lower cost / starting price. If we all the cash or the Model S starts at a way more affordable price and it have no sedan version, I have no doubts many of us will still purchase it even though it is a hatchback. Also, based on my knowledge (I maybe wrong), but I have never or rarely heard about Model S owners and customer complain that it is a hatchback."

Red Sage ca us | 2016年7月20日

cchui396: Tutorials have been posted in the forums, but you cannot upload images here. You must use HTML to point to images that are hosted elsewhere.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/how-post-pictures

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/how-post-pictures-0

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/posting-pictures-dropbox-idiots

Pages