Forums

increase mileage

increase mileage

FIRST OF ALL I AM A COMPUTERS GUY.SO TAKE IT EASY.
THE IDEA IS,
IN GENERAL CARS THERE ARE ENGINES IN THE FRONT,WHICH RUN THE CAR,WTH EVERY 1 LITER OF PETROL THEY GIVE ROUGHLY 20 KM MILEAGE.

BUT TESLA CARS RUN ON BATTERY,I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH OF CHARGING GIVES HOW MANY KM.

BUT IF U CAN ARRANGE SOME MACHINE IN THE FRONT THAT RUNS ON FUEL.

INSTEAD OF MOVING THE CAR IT GENERATES POWER FOR THE BATTERY, IN A WAY THAT

INSTEAD OF
1 LIT = 20KM
THIS MACHINE OR ENGINE GENERATES AND CHARGES THE BATTERY,SO THAT EVERY 1 LITER FUEL U DROP IN TO THIS ENGINE WILL BE CONVERTED INTO LIKE

1 LIT = 20X2 OR 20X3 OR 20X4 OR... ETC.

KP in NPT | 2016年9月27日

Oh goodness.

Bighorn | 2016年9月27日

To infinity and beyond! I love perpetual motion:)

JayInJapan | 2016年9月28日

Amazon has these?

makobill | 2016年9月28日

This guy just scooped master plan 2.5....

jordanrichard | 2016年9月28日

Ummmm Mr. Computer guy, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU YELLING!!!!!!!

dsvick | 2016年9月28日

@rishidhar123

What you're proposing won't work. Or rather it would work but it would completely invalidate most of the reasons of having an electric car.

Converting gasoline to power a car is inefficient, converting gasoline to electricty to charge the battery to power the car would be horribly inefficient.
Adding an ICE to the vehicle would remove all the savings you get from reduced maintenance costs.
Adding an ICE to the vehicle would add weight to it which would reduce range.
For many people driving an electric vehicle is about reducing emmisions, having an ICE in the car negates that.

There are a variety of other reasons that this isn't a good idea

Rocky_H | 2016年9月28日

Some of you seem to be missing or not reading yellingboy's idea.

@Bighorn, It's not perpetual motion. He says, "But if you can arrange some machine in the front that runs on fuel." (All caps removed for the hearing unimpaired.)

@dsvick, Quote: "What you're proposing won't work. [...] Converting gasoline to power a car is inefficient, converting gasoline to electricty to charge the battery to power the car would be horribly inefficient."

Eh? It works just fine in the Chevy Volt, BMW i3 REX, Ford Fusion/C-Max Energi, Plug-in Prius, etc. That's what a plug-in hybrid is. Since the electric motor is less wasteful of energy (mainly at lower speeds, though), you usually could get more distance per liter of fuel by doing that. It does add a good bit of cost and complexity, though, so it's not as good a solution as a pure battery electric.

makobill | 2016年9月28日

Let me be more clear. Keep the OPEC juice out of my Tesla. Thanks....

makobill | 2016年9月28日

makobill | 2016年9月28日

David N | 2016年9月28日

Geeze, how did Elon miss this one.

David N | 2016年9月28日

Geeze, how did Elon miss this one.

gguinto | 2016年9月28日

I have a better idea than computer guy. How about investing on a trailer that you hook up to your trailer hitch that houses a [insert length here] extension cord. You can effectively extend your range to the length of your cord.

SMH.

Bighorn | 2016年9月28日

@Rocky
It's like the Volt after the battery dies. Gas runs a generator that's not that efficient. It won't be 3x or 4x or.... ? more efficient than a compact car. The Volt gets 42MPG on gas--no big whoop and certainly not a multiple as suggested in the OP.

kevin | 2016年9月28日

I think our "computers guy" must be writing on a Commodore 64.

starcrusader | 2016年9月30日

CAPS STUCK COMPUTER GUY? STICKY KEYBOARD?

rishidhar123 | 2016年10月2日

first of all sorry about the CAPS .
and thank u so much for the replies.
Why i suggested this is because not every country can spend their power on cars.
so, i thought this way u don't have to charge the battery anymore and can get more distance.

mikecohen99 | 2016年10月2日

I am interested in using a solar powered generator to charge my car since I won't have ability to charge while at home or at work.. I wonder wil it work with just the panels

mikecohen99 | 2016年10月2日

I realize you have to power the generator and then would use that for the car. I think it might work

makobill | 2016年10月3日

@mikecohen99 - The Yeti is just a battery with an inverter of a capacity that makes no sense for an EV. Just not a practical solution at this point.

Red Sage ca us | 2016年10月3日

Ah. So this is why no one under the age of twenty knows how to use a broom. They don't realize the Chevrolet VOLT came out six years ago.

David N | 2016年10月3日

Mike wrote:
"I am interested in using a solar powered generator to charge my car since I won't have ability to charge while at home or at work.. I wonder wil it work with just the panels"

No