As a new Tesla X owner and a lover of the brand, I was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED to be involved in a completely avoidable accident a couple days ago.
- Was parked, nose up, on a hill, both front and back cars had parked close to me. Not much clearance.
- Creep mode was ON
- Was proceeding to exit spot in drive when my X ROLLED BACKWARDS RIGHT INTO THE TRUCK BEHIND ME. $3,000 worth of damage to my brand new car.
- After I inspected damages and tried to leave spot again, I almost had another accident as the X ROLLED BACKWARDS AGAIN.
I immediately called my local Tesla dealer and asked for answers. Employee explained to me that I must not have had my Hill brake on. "user error"--- ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE ANSWER.
HOWEVER- with the price I paid, I expect Tesla to be able to ensure this type of rollback is impossible (imagine worst case scenario-- a person had walked behind my car since i was in drive mode..).
What SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED to prevent this accident:
1. BETTER TRAINING WHEN I RECEIVED VEHICLE. I have NO RECALL of understanding that I needed to press the brake "extra long" to engage some sort of hill brake. This was NEWS to me. I was told by the Tesla employee that the information is in the manual. I HAD NO REASON TO LOOK THIS UP IN THE MANUAL SINCE 99% of automatic cars do not ROLL BACK. Why would I suspect something different??
2. This car is smart, but not smart enough to prevent senseless accidents-- please create algorithm that checks if: A. is the car parked on a hill? IF YES- B. is CREEP MODE ON? (then i definitely want forward motion like an automatic car) IF YES- C. is there a lack of clearance between the cars? IF YES D. increase resistance so that driver does not roll backwards!
PLEASE TESLA READ THIS AND FIX THIS PROBLEM. WE ARE ALL EARLY ADOPTERS AND TESTING THIS CAR FOR YOU. I JUST SUSTAINED $3,000 WORTH OF DAMAGES TO TEST THE X. I DEMAND SOME RESOLUTION FROM YOU.