Forums

Replacement parts delema

Replacement parts delema

In light of the latest commnents by Elon about the rate of innovation. I have some concerns about how 'future proof' my new model 3 will be.
Let me just clarify my position, I'm a firm believer in the Tesla mission and have no problem with innovation. However, this is the first ever 'brand new' car I've bought (and probably the last), I'd have been saving for it over 3 years (by the time it hits New Zealand shores ('18-'19), so its an incredibly significant purchase for us.
My concern with the same rate of innovation as cell phones or computers is that those are pretty much disposable items these days, you use is for 5-6 years then you get a new one. However, what happens if your new 'phone on wheels' cost $50,000?!! Can't exactly replace it at a whim... unless you're very well off.

Worst case senario, what if the radar packs up after 6-7 years and the part is no longer available (replaced with new technology). Will Tesla be retaining all versions of every component they ever put in their cars? With the current rate of innovation, I don't know if this will be practical long term?

I plan on having this car for at least 15-20 years. Does anyone else have the same concerns, or heard any information about how they plan to address it?

Thanks,
Chris