Forums

Is this our new dash ?

Is this our new dash ?

Shadowmist | 2017年3月3日

That looks like a gauge I've seen before I highly doubt it. Plus Elon said there would not be two screens not matter the size.

M3forMe | 2017年3月3日

that looks like the speedometer display from a Honda Civic with the 2 green bars on the side of the digital speed.

Carl Thompson | 2017年3月3日

I'd be perfectly happy with this. I'll live with just the center screen if that's the way the 3 is but I'd prefer this.

Carl

KP in NPT | 2017年3月3日

It will be something - but not either of these. They look cheap.

topher | 2017年3月4日

Hard to count how many ways this is wrong.

I _can_ understand how a guy who thinks 70 mph is an appropriate speed for that situation can think that not having a visible speedometer (despite it being right there) might be an accident waiting to happen.

Thank you kindly

vadamudala.gurunath | 2017年3月4日

It would be great if we can have a heads up projection display on the windshield.

stevenmaifert | 2017年3月4日

I just want my speed displayed in front of me, and I don't care how they do it. Everything else can go on the touchscreen.

mntlvr23 | 2017年3月4日

How about -
The vehicle speed and the speed limit in the upper or lower left of windshield.
The immediate vicinity map at the lower center of windshield.
Periodic important warnings high and centered with the driver

wollinger | 2017年3月4日

So fake that it hurts my eyes!

It's clear that it is photoshop, A 2013 Civic display with a iPad on the side.

EaglesPDX | 2017年3月4日

The Tesla sales folks are characterizing the T3 as "stripped down" version of the TS so it's a possible look BUT heads up is a cost effective option also and can be driven by one computer.

Ehninger1212 | 2017年3月4日

Stupid, that's a PS job.. a bad one at that.

Carl Thompson | 2017年3月4日

@wollinger, @Ehninger1212

Of course it's a fake. That's what the word "concept" in the page title and the work "mockup" in the first paragraph mean. No one is trying to deceive. They're just people's guesses of how it might look.

Carl

bj | 2017年3月4日

Critiquing the photoshop aside (which is kinda irrelevant) I disagree with the list of things that the driver needs in front of him or her at all times:

- current speed: yes, I do agree with that
- speed limit of road: nope, audio warning if you exceed is fine. And you should already know what it is, you have been looking forward through the windscreen and paying attention, right?
- range: nope, not something that you need to check frequently. Centre display is fine.
- turn signal blinkers: maybe, audio feedback that you have it on is enough, left blinker through left speaker, right blinker through right speaker.
- headlight indicators: nope, not something that you need to check frequently. Centre display is fine.
- blind spot indicators: too hard to put on a minimal display, I don't think essential.
- and some kind of autopilot indications: nope, I think you'll know if you've engaged it, because you engaged it.

So current speed is the only essential instrumentation which makes life much simpler. It also emphasizes how all the instrumentation required in an ICE is because it is so darn COMPLEX and so many things can go WRONG.

My 2c

mntlvr23 | 2017年3月4日

@bj - how about some level of nav? I would think that this is something why people turn their heads the most to the console (or their phones). I would love that to be up on the glass.

topher | 2017年3月4日

" and some kind of autopilot indications: nope, I think you'll know if you've engaged it, because you engaged it."

People have already gotten into accidents based on this. So, yeah it needs to be visible.

But the engaged indication is only one small piece of the required EAP information. That is vital.

Thank you kindly.

carlgo2 | 2017年3月4日

Yeah, if was up to me it would all be HUD and the screen would detect the driver's stare and shut down when the car is moving.

Paid the deposit though, hoping for HUD.

andy.connor.e | 2017年3月5日

I have been driving a Yaris for over 2 years. The "HUD" on that car is in the center of the console where the radio is. I am prematurely adjusted to this. So if Tesla does not give us a HUD in front of the steering wheel, i'll be fine.

Take it from someone with experience who owns a car like this. Its really not that bad having to look to the center of the car. You get adjusted pretty quickly.

Marc.Stumpe | 2017年3月5日

Dear Elon and Tesla-Team,

i read about your plans, that the center 15" display would be the only display for the Model 3.
A car without a dashboard/display behind the steering wheel looks ugly, sorry.
So please, please give us an dashboard/display behind the steering wheel!
You want to reduce complexity, cabling and costs?
No problem:
What about a 7" tablet which snaps magnetic?
You could charge it cableless via QI.
And the informations to display are transfered via WLAN.

So; i think if you don't give us such a unit, 3rd party will do.
And i even think; this is not what you want...

Best hopefully greetings from a great Tesla-Fan,
Marc Stumpe

mos6507 | 2017年3月5日

This reminds me of the amateur-concepts-as-news era immediately before the Model 3 reveal. It's a sign that Tesla really has to show us the final dash.

There seems to be no way for these amateur artists to break themselves out of the idea that the final dash must conform to the alpha-test dash shape shown in the first reveal. This despite the fact that Tesla went back to keep tweaking the car until the infamous "pencils down". So yeah, they kept working on it...only to reveal a dash that is exactly the same as the alpha--only with a narrow low-tech display behind the wheel?? Not likely, or is it likely the final dash won't have conventional and easy to spot air-vents (which were missing on the prototypes).

KP in NPT | 2017年3月5日

I agree with you mos6507 - except for the air vents. The "new" air vent design was referenced both during the test drives and in interviews since. Not saying they will definitely end up in the final product, but it does seem that is/was their intention, just as the horizontal screen was.

andy.connor.e | 2017年3月6日

You're all stressing out about the dash. Why dont you all relax. Do you honestly think that Tesla would put so much faith into a car that is literally going to determine whether they expand and/or become more successful, to the extent that they would produce a car that you would utterly be despised of the interior design? Come on.

Be more realistic about this. Stop worrying about what you want it to be, or what you might get, or how bad it could be. Stop worrying about speculating about the +'s and -'s. Why dont you sit back, kick your feet up, and just wait for it to come out and have some confidence that Tesla is not going to produce a truly gaging interior for you.

dsvick | 2017年3月6日

I don't understand why the concept artist thinks it's important to have the same information located 6 inches away from where it is already being displayed. I think that any sort of info displayed in that area is going to be considered a second screen so it isn't going to happen. At this point, as much as I'd like one, I'm not even sure there will be a HUD, it will all depend on what Tesla considers a "screen".

@dsvick

Agreed. Its clear that Tesla is focusing on necessity on this car, and not producing the same as what has been around for 100 years. That draws me to this car. Im ready for different. No matter how different.

mos6507 | 2017年3月6日

'The "new" air vent design was referenced both during the test drives and in interviews since.'

Produce a citation of "interviews since" about vents. There's just anecdotal evidence from youtube videos inside cars with reps using PR-speak about design elements that were not finalized at the time.

Nobody has convinced me the prototype vehicle even HAS vents. If it does, the airflow is NOT controllable on it since there's no louvers or handles to grab. Occam's razor would indicate that the black panel is just a blank spacer and the final vents will be much more conventional. Given that things like the charge access panel was also not final I don't know why people are so vehement about insisting that the alpha dash is final and that it has some fancy 'stealth vents'. The dash is a glorified movie-prop.

If they felt the alpha test vehicles were final (no cupholders and all) then they would not be as guarded about showing the interiors since the reveal. The interior is changing so don't treat anything seen at the first reveal as gospel.

KP in NPT | 2017年3月6日

@mos - my mistake - not in "interviews" - I seem to recall the air vents being mentioned on one of the conference calls in response to a question about the model 3. I didn't think it was "news" since it was also mentioned at the reveal. If I can find it, I'll post.

KP in NPT | 2017年3月6日

@mos, quickly googling/scanning past transcripts, I can't find it. I but I do remember it being referenced. I'll continue to look for it but for now I have to run off and get our first required inspection for our Model S. :)

massimob30 | 2017年3月6日

That is a Photoshopped pic of a Honda Civic. FAIL.

http://www.arabamoto.com/index.php/Honda/2012-Honda-Civic/2012_Honda_Civ...

skygraff | 2017年3月6日

I'm a lot less concerned about the "dash" than I am bout the screen on a stalk design.

Innovation is fine but, unless it has its own airbag, that design seems unsafe. On top of that, I personally find it unsightly and fear it will take damage but, at the very least, become a repository for dirt and hangable clutter (shrapnel waiting to happen).

Waiting to see.

@massimob

I could tell it was photoshopped the second i looked at it.

alnrench2 | 2017年3月6日

Forget the photo....the video is what you should watch.

Carl Thompson | 2017年3月6日

@KP

I also remember that in one of the many test drive videos from the first reveal one of the engineers did say that the air vents were how they intend them to be on the final car. But that first reveal was a long time ago so that could have already changed if they found it isn't user-friendly enough.

Carl

KP in NPT | 2017年3月6日

@Carl - I agree - as I stated initially, no guarantee that feature will end up in the final product.

EaglesPDX | 2017年3月6日

"I could tell it was photoshopped the second i looked at it."

Had you read the article first you would have known that fact like everyone else. The reactionary Teslerati look foolish again.

slasher0016 | 2017年3月7日

That looks like crap. That better not be anywhere close to what the designers choose.

massimob30 | 2017年3月7日

Andy - I agree the pic looks suspect, but why not confirm it to silence the naysayers.

I know people are getting impatience with the Model 3 (rightfully so), I just think it's responsible to discern what is fact from fiction.

jefjes | 2017年3月7日

I actually love the HUD concept in the video Steve Ono presents. Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if that entire design is what comes on my M3. Many commenters on his video criticized the sound effects but to me it is just a matter of never using them if you don't like them. Probably will not see this HUD in the M3 and I'll be fine with just a center landscaped 15" display as seen on the prototypes. After owning a 2005 Scion xA and a 2013 Prius, I'm pretty used to a center of dash display. What ever Elon has decided for my M3, I'll live with and love the car I'm sure but that HUD looks like a fantastic idea to me.

Haggy | 2017年3月7日

Tesla was explicit about the lack of a second display, and that was recent. A second display goes beyond the cost of the display, but adds complexity to the wiring harness and build process. Tesla made a point of saying it would not be there, but said nothing about an HUD. They could have denied it, but if it's not ready for show, there's no reason to say anything. Tesla did say the interior would be spaceship-like, whatever that means, and if it has nothing to do with a second display, then speculate away. The arguments in favor of an HUD is that it wouldn't impact vehicle assembly time, a windshield with an extra layer for it wouldn't take longer to install or cost as much extra as a dashboard display, adding a projector to the back of the center display wouldn't impact vehicle assembly time, and people really do need to see a speedometer as well as overlays related to autopilot. If you don't have an indication in front of you as to whether autopilot sees a vehicle in front of you, or whether it's on, and warning messages pop up on a screen you aren't looking at, that could be a problem.

Tesla worked directly with NHTSA to show that they took steps to make the Model S safer, including enhanced warnings for the driver to hold the steering wheel. I can't see them removing that as a possibility. A recall would cost a fortune if a lack of something in front of the driver became an issue.

Bri | 2017年3月7日

It'll pair with your AirPods. The signal will be a supersonic binaural beat effect that will superimpose the data directly onto your visual cortex. And being supersonic, it won't interfere with your tunes.

tstolz | 2017年3月7日

I like the HUD system! Bring it on.

Carl Thompson | 2017年3月7日

Bri:
"It'll pair with your AirPods. The signal will be a supersonic binaural beat effect that will superimpose the data directly onto your visual cortex. And being supersonic, it won't interfere with your tunes."

They scrapped that plan because it caused too many brain aneurisms in the test subjects. They decided to go low(er) tech and require drivers to wear a VR helmet that plugs into the cartridge port to operate the Tesla.

skygraff | 2017年3月7日

As much as I don't like the screen on a stalk, it does lend itself to integrated projectors (on either back corner) which could display HUD information on the windshield. That would reduce the complexity (single computer, no extra wiring, etc.) while maintaining the universal design for left and right hand drive configurations.

Never expected a HUD but, with that method, it could work.

That being said, it could easily be obstructed so would be better to incorporate it into the dash (like the S & X) and, if a HUD is in play, project from a less obtrusive point or something cooler like OLED coated inner windshield driven by the same computer.

Ross1 | 2017年3月8日

No speedo.
Just a hologram of Elon saying: You are going too fast buster, and please place your hands on the steering wheel. And wake up. NOW!

andy.connor.e | 2017年3月8日

@Eagles

"I could tell it was photoshopped the second i looked at it."

Do you realize that statement is saying that i realized it was photoshopped before even reading the article? Lmao dude.

georgehawley.fl.us | 2017年3月9日

Everything you have heard is misdirection.
They are going for the retro look:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dashboard+of+a+car&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS590US...

andy.connor.e | 2017年3月9日

@george

you're wrong. they're going to put a smartphone mount in the middle of the car and call it a day.

Carl Thompson | 2017年3月9日

You're all wrong. VR helmet required to drive the car.

georgehawley.fl.us | 2017年3月9日

I agree with everyone.

Sparky | 2017年3月9日

I'll go out on a limb and speculate that the steering wheel will look a lot like the one in the new Bentley EXP12 project without the binnacle in front of it. And I won't mind that a bit.

andy.connor.e | 2017年3月10日

Wrong again. No steering wheel. Will integrate driving control to VR helmet and smarphone. No windshield required.

sneaky1632 | 2017年3月10日

Just somebody's imagination, noting more.

Pages