Forums

Safety Sounds

Safety Sounds

My Model S is so quiet it is a danger for people walking dogs and kids in a neighborhood environment. I want to add the ability to make a sound that's better than blowing the horn, either hand-held or installed in the car. Is such a thing available? If not it looks like a good business opportunity.

UnshodBob | 2017年7月3日

It needs a "bicycle bell" button. Gling-gling! :)

reed_lewis | 2017年7月3日

My old Smart Electric Drive that I leased before had speakers in the wheel wells that made a whirring sound as the car moved.

It was kind of cool.

rxlawdude | 2017年7月3日

The Prius has had a spaceship weird creep (EV) warning for years.

DTsea | 2017年7月3日

Turn music louder.

It is no danger if YOU pay attention as YOU are requred to by law.

No f***ing noise makers please.

NKYTA | 2017年7月3日

Agree with DTsea

Earl and Nagin ... | 2017年7月3日

We solved that problem back when we were 8 years old:
Ask your mommy for a clothespin. Look through your baseball card collection and find some loser from some team you don't care about. Use the clothespin to clip the baseball card to the fender so it is in the spoke. Now, just like your bicycle did when you were 8, your Tesla will also sound "like a real race car" and all the other 8 year olds will be impressed.
In the mean time: Please don't add any more unnecessary noise pollution to my world.

rxlawdude | 2017年7月3日

@Earl, as a clueless kid, I probably used a Sandy Koufax card to make my bike's "motor" sounds. :-)

Frenchy | 2017年7月3日

You could mount a vehicle whistle. I have no experience or further knowledge of the item but I may install one on the M3. If you google "deer whistle for vehicles" a few products appear for sale.

SO | 2017年7月3日

Unfortunately a noise maker will be required for all EVs by Sept 2019. Hopefully I can buy the Model 3 by then. And hopefully my current Model S will last for a really long time.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/its-the-law-electric-cars-must-make-n...

DTsea | 2017年7月3日

Wire clippers.

Tropopause | 2017年7月3日

Enjoy the silence, please. Why must we replicate our noisy fossil friends?

Imagine if the electric car had been the mainstream vehicle for the last 100 years. We would have evolved just fine without the noise. In fact, we would be repulsed when the rare ICE noise-box drives by and be asking our politicians to invoke laws banning that exhaust noise.

JayInJapan | 2017年7月3日

Slow down when around "people walking dogs and kids in a neighborhood environment." That's what I do. No noisemakers, please.

Captain_Zap | 2017年7月4日

Noisemakers are coming, unfortunately. More noise pollution.

grins.va | 2017年7月4日

@DTsea +10

SamO | 2017年7月4日

My SafeWord is McGillicuddy

JBChris | 2017年7月4日

And I thought we had it bad in the UK with stupid laws, especially verbose ones like this - it's a 372 page .pdf document to explain it!

DTsea | 2017年7月4日

Imagine the poor people on a busy street in bad traffic.... living all day with beepers on every car. Maddening.... and stupid.

Wire clippers..... if only to avoid road rage.

Tropopause | 2017年7月4日

This law must be an ICE conspiracy.

lilbean | 2017年7月4日

I just yell, "Move it!" Haha!

jordanrichard | 2017年7月5日

Just put the volume on your radio to 3 or higher and they will hear the music through the doors.

While I applaud your concern, the logic is that people/animals will only get hit by you because they don't hear you coming. That is also the basis of the new regulation for EVs, but it is false. If in fact that people will only get hit by EVs because they can't hear them, then what is the excuse for those that get hit by existing ICE vehicles..........

RedPillSucks | 2017年7月5日

@DTsea With all due respect, sometimes pedestrians do unexpected stuff.
In addition to blind pedestrians who may not hear the car coming, I've actually seen
people run across the road without first looking. This is on a street with sidewalks and 45mph traffic.
If you happen to be driving by, you may simply not have the time to react to that kind of unanticipated action.

lilbean | 2017年7月5日

Dumb pedestrians with their smartphones and headphones are the worst. Yep. You can't do much when they suddenly dart out in front of the car.

UnshodBob | 2017年7月5日

And deaf people are not helped by electric vehicle artificial noises. Do they get hit more often than non-deaf people? Should our (quiet) cars flash lights and beep constantly?

Tropopause | 2017年7月5日

Jordan and Bob nailed it!

PBEndo | 2017年7月5日

You can get a wireless doorbell online for under $10. Place chime in frunk or behind nosecone (in older cars). Keep button in car.

lilbean | 2017年7月5日

That's what I did, PBEndo. I plays a coo-coo tone.

Tropopause | 2017年7月5日

Mine emits a dog whistle tone.

UnshodBob | 2017年7月5日

I think I'll roll down the windows and play Ride of the Valkyries at excessive volume. :)

DTsea | 2017年7月5日

Redpill,

The noise is only for speeds below 18 mph because tire noise dominates above that speed- so your 45 mph street case is kind of a straw man.

Pedestrians who do that arent stopped by a noise. And at 18mph or below you can stop.

Furthermore, research cited by City of Seattle is that at 18 mph, pedestrians are 90+% likely to survive a collision with a car have an average fatality rate below 5%. So at the speeds where the noisemaker will be active, it isnt needed.

Boom. Facts and data.

DTsea | 2017年7月5日

Sorry typo. At 18 mph fatality rate in car v pedestrian collision averages less than 5% over all ages.

DTsea | 2017年7月5日

Sorry typo. At 18 mph fatality rate in car v pedestrian collision averages less than 5% over all ages.

https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/how-likely-you-are-to-get-killed-...

JayInJapan | 2017年7月5日

Future Darwin Award winners...

SO | 2017年7月6日

@DTsea - those facts are nice and all but sadly it appears we won't have a choice in the US after Sept, 2019. I think I will need to buy another Tesla before then.

DTsea | 2017年7月6日

I know. I was just explaining how PROFOUNDLY STUPID the new rules are.

jordanrichard | 2017年7月6日

A beeping EV going under 18 mph isn't going to fix stupid. Darwin, party of 1......

Captain_Zap | 2017年7月6日

Forget the polite door bells or beepers. Nail them with the big horn.

lilbean | 2017年7月6日

Haha!

lilbean | 2017年7月6日

It would be nice if the the car let us do a light tap of the horn. It's either no horn or full blast.

TeslaTap.com | 2017年7月6日

How forcing ICE cars to produce strong fart smells so that pedestrians can identify that they are getting poisoned by the carbon monoxide and other carcinogens? Luckily these smells are filtered out by the Biodefense filters in the Tesla.

JayInJapan | 2017年7月8日

I've requested the softer horn several times. It's an essential part of driving in this country. My attempt at thanks here sounds kinda rude.

SO | 2017年7月8日

I would like captain Harris from Police Academy just say "move it, move it, move it".

Earl and Nagin ... | 2017年7月9日

@JayInJapan,
In America, unlike most countries, we very seldom hit our horn and when we do, we mean it and we want people to hear it.
While I always have found drivers in Japan to basically be polite, rational drivers, Japanese cars tend to be sold a lot in many countries where folks can't seem to drive a block without hitting their horn a few times. Its no wonder the horns need to be so soft.
On the other hand, I do like the 'beep beep' warning horn on the Chevy Volt when you depress the turn signal while the real horn is loud. Its helpful for folks texting at green lights instead of going.

JayInJapan | 2017年7月9日

@Earl and Nagin ..., I'm familiar with how horns are used in the U.S. They're used much more in the U.S. than here. Horns in cars built here have two levels: a light tap gives a light beep; it's used to say thanks. Hit it harder, or hold it down and you get the full effect. If you have a Japanese car in the U.S., it should work the same.

I'd like that feature in my MS.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2017年7月10日

@Jay,
Its interesting that you consider a light tap to be saying 'thanks'. I'm not familiar with using a horn for 'thanks'. I guess any day we learn a new cultural norm is a good one!
I am familiar with the horns on Japanese cars in the US. They are the laughing stock among many people but, as I said, I understand the reason they are why they are and it isn't for the US or Japan. Many Americans don't even know where their horn is and have never used it. You must have spent too much time in coastal cities, particularly NYC or LA if you think Americans use their horn a lot. I wouldn't say the same applies for most of the country.
One can modulate any horn for a friendly reminder, even a big truck horn. I would just say that the "full effect' of the horn on Japanese car is no where near that of a classic American one but the American one is harder to get the 'friendly reminder'.

JayInJapan | 2017年7月10日

lol