Forums

Bad PR on the way???

Bad PR on the way???

If Tesla launches the design studio (for reservation holders) without providing the initial option for the $35k configuration (as they did with employees who can currently only order 1st production for $49k)...Tesla will have some seriously bad PR articles.

While the delivery date will be later...they should provide the option to configure the base-line car to avoid this from occurring.

Remember when the Model X config launched initially for sig reservation holders...numerous articles complained about the $140k price tag without realizing that it was only for the signature loaded models...even after Elon's Tweet clarification that it's ~$5k more than the S...the signature price tag was used throughout media outlets for a very long time. Even my family wanted to reserve a S instead of the X since they thought the cost was 2x as much.

I hope Tesla doesn't do this for the 3... especially since the $35k price tag was advertised all over. And most reservation holders aren't fanboys like us and will get confused....

PhillyGal | 2017年8月8日

I don't disagree that when the first non-employee is invited to configure, that page should allow all options and just change the expected delivery window accordingly, so that the bad PR is kept to a minimum.
Won't be eliminated entirely - detractors will still cry that it's a $50,000 car.

Chargedmr2 | 2017年8月8日

The cat's already out of the bag on this. I don't see the problem. And since when has bad press from naysayers stopped Tesla from succeeding?

hsuru4u | 2017年8月8日

can employees of tesla really afford this car or even any tesla? No offence but what do they make? $20 an hour maybe if that...

rpad.tv | 2017年8月8日

I think it's a non-issue. Good press and bad press disappear quickly. There are plenty of orders and plenty of cars to make. As long as Tesla production scales reasonably well, there's nothing to worry about.

SCCRENDO | 2017年8月8日

@hsuru4u. Looks like they can and they have. One of the service assistants at Costa Mesa owns a Model S as old as mine.

csmith476 | 2017年8月8日

Given that Tesla has no need for more demand on the Model 3, I think they can absorb some bad PR. The stock price may tumble in the short term, but those articles will only eat a few weeks/months before the lower priced car is configurable, and the Model 3 production ramps up (and presumably has many happy owners/reviewers out and about)

KMTG | 2017年8月8日

The problem is that analyst will foreshadow the number of 3 deliveries (to a small number) due to the $49k price surging the stock price that slows down everything...it happened with the X...hence...it can happen again.

And this time Tesla stressed so much on the $35k price tag.

This is an issue that can be easily resolved, just allow for the $35k car to be configured when the design studio launches...even if it delivers later.

Chargedmr2 | 2017年8月8日

@KMTG maybe they will do that. My ETA for the $35,000 base model is only 3 months further out (Jan-Mar) than the $49,000 first production models (Nov-Jan). Not a big difference in time, from my point of view. My guess is that base models will be available even earlier for others.

I have no doubt that bad press will be directed at Tesla, but they are in a much better position today than they were when the X was released, wouldn't you say?

stevenmaifert | 2017年8月8日

It will be Motor Trends Car of the Year. There will be side comments like "only the pricier version is available initially but the $35,000 basic version is expected to be available as early as Dec 2017 for current Tesla owners who live in California". That would be me, but I'm going to get the Premium Package. We've seen a lot of grumbling from reservation holders who would like to get a basic version earlier, but I don't expect we are going to see a lot of bad press if Tesla can keep to their production ramp predictions, and early deliveries don't have any significant maintenance issues.

dsvick | 2017年8月8日

Non-issue. Regardless of what Tesla does there will be detractors. Could they alleviate some of it? Sure, probably. On the other hand, they've said all along that the first production would be more highly optioned ones, so they are just going with what they said they were going to do all along.

KMTG | 2017年8月8日

I am also a current Model X owner who reserved the 3 on launch date. I have a Dec-Feb window for the base $35k model.

I don't see anything wrong with delivering the more expensive model first. I initially ordered the 70D Model X but got a call from Tesla that I can receive the car next month if I order the 90D. So I paid the extra $16k for the upgrade and got the car within two months of the call (a month later than expected).

Tesla should let owners reserve the $35k model but showcase the sooner delivery for $49k as they successfully did with the Model X.

carlk | 2017年8月8日

I don't think so. Everyone understands company's survival is of the ultimate importance. Nobody is getting anything if it does not.

MTTPA | 2017年8月8日

I'm guessing that the statement "Your selection will not affect your place in line." on the delivery estimator page means that you will be allowed to configure according to your Tesla status (day of reservation, region, owner/not) and you'll take delivery based on configuration.

SUN 2 DRV | 2017年8月8日

As long as people who want the Standard Battery would maintain their place in the reservation queue, there's no reason and no benefit to configuring early. They would have to pay the full deposit which becomes non-refundable. They have to choose their options from the current (small) option list and commit to the current pricing and packages. For what???

If Tesla wanted to add an option or change a price they would be asked to rework many of those already locked in configs....

By deferring configuration until closer to production start, Tesla maintains maximum flexibility for both the customer and for Tesla.

mos6507 | 2017年8月8日

[since when has bad press from naysayers stopped Tesla from succeeding?]

What's stopping Tesla from succeeding is not having enough cash to fund the scale-out of Model 3 manufacturing, hence they issued junk-bonds which in turn caused its stock price to sag.

So I would lay off on the irrational exuberance and have a more sanguine stance related to Tesla's future. We have reached the moment of truth and everything, literally everything, must go right.

akgolf | 2017年8月8日

Stock price sagged all the way from 355.17 down to 365.22....oh wait.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年8月8日

dsvick, carlk, & SUN 2 DRV: Ditto.

mos6507 | 2017年8月8日

"Standard & Poor's gave the bonds a B- rating, putting them in the high-risk junk bond category. Moody's assigned a similar B3 rating to the bonds."

Highly encouraging. People who don't want to view Tesla's stock price as in bubble-territory are decoupled from reality.

Tesla could very well win car of the year AND simultaneously run out of cash and crash and burn. The two are not mutually exclusive.

KP in NPT | 2017年8月8日

Elon is not an idiot.

Chargedmr2 | 2017年8月8日

"So I would lay off on the irrational exuberance and have a more sanguine stance related to Tesla's future. We have reached the moment of truth and everything, literally everything, must go right."

This thread is about the potential threat of bad PR, as was my post. Are you claiming that it is irrational to believe that bad PR has never stopped Tesla in the past? Is that your "rational" claim?

"...everything, literally everything, must go right,"
You sure about this...literally everything? Seems a bit dramatic, if not irrational.

Coastal Cruiser. | 2017年8月8日

rpad.tv said: "...Good press and bad press disappear quickly..."

Special tune for this thread: Sung to the tune of Led Zeppelin's 'Good Times, Bad Times"...

Good press, bad press
I know they've had their share
But I don't lose faith in Tesla
With the stock up in the stratosphere

I know what it means to get bad PR
da da da da da da da da da da da da

it's whatever those idiots have got stored up in a jar

I don't care what the nay-sayers say

I'm gonna hold that stock each and every day