Forums

Yearly Service Plan

Yearly Service Plan

Has anyone done the 1st year maint? I am looking for feedback on those that did it and if it is really worth it.

reed_lewis | 2017年9月11日

The first year is a good idea to do in my mind. The change the fluid in the drive motors, and do a good general check over the car.

milleman | 2017年9月11日

They changed the windshield wipers and rotated the tires during my first year inspection.

kerryglittle | 2017年9月11日

I was told by a service tech that its really not worth the money. You can even buy the four year plan at a bit if a rate reduction. They usually just top up the windshield washer fluid. Easy to do at home. Top up the brake fluid if necessary ( how often does that go down with regen brakes?). Install new wiper blades. Rotate the tires. Another thing you can do at home, and check your alignment. In Canada I think that is $400.00 plus taxes. The one that might be recommended but still rich is to have a battery flush done at 80,000 Kilometres. That runs $1,000.00 plus taxes. I'm not taking mine in until there is something wrong. If its not broken don't fix it. Also avoiding the service does not effect your warranty. I asked about that. But thats just my thoughts. Anyone else please chime in if you agree or disagree. :-)

Bighorn | 2017年9月11日

All three of my service visits have taken a full day or more to do. The myth of just changing wiper blades, fob batteries and windshield fluid is totally bogus. Most work orders that outline the service run around 10 pages. The first one is important because now they do an early drive unit lube change.

Bill_75D | 2017年9月11日

The DU lube change was reported to be just for cars built after some point on 2017 (February?)
Have they changed this to include all vehicles? I have a December 2016 build.

Brian.rippetoe | 2017年9月11日

I also have a December 2016 Build as well so definitely curious about that. Thanks for all the replies it really helps a lot in the decision process.

mdmgso | 2017年9月11日

@Bighorn

"The first one is important because now they do an early drive unit lube change."

That's interesting. The drive unit on my wife's S 75 failed without any warning shorty after the one year service.

kerryglittle | 2017年9月11日

I'm just relaying the information from my friend that works there and really don't see the need to hand over 3 grand for stuff that didn't seem important. But 4 years from now I might have a different answer. LOL.

Bighorn | 2017年9月11日

I do pay as you go and have done service at 1, 2 and 4 years or 28k, 61k and 144k miles. $2,050 so far.

BigD0g | 2017年9月11日

^^^^ I plan on going to Bighorn route and paying as I go, i'll do the first year service as it covers a DU flush that's recommend by Tesla.

tes-s | 2017年9月11日

I'm on the same schedule as @BH, just with fewer miles. :)

I also get my tires from Tesla. I use the no-season Michelins, and while I could save a few dollars elsewhere the convenience of getting the tires done at the same time as annual service is worth it to me.

jordanrichard | 2017年9月11日

What you are also getting when you bring your car in for an annual service is any service campaigns that are out there. I took delivery in Mar 2014 and a common problem with the wipers was that on the driver's side there would be a persistent wide streak right in the line of sight, even with new blades. Well at some point they improved the design of the wiper arms and at one of my annual services, they replaced both wiper arms. Then there was a replacement of bolts that mounted the power steering motor to the car., and then there was the replacement of an improved design of a battery coolant heater. Like other "old timers" here, I could list more, but you get the point.

djmichaelmayhem | 2017年9月11日

I am like @Bighorn
I did first 1, 2 and 4th. Plan on doing every 2 years/ 40000 KIM.

The even numbers is where they change fluids like battery coolant and brake fluid.

p.c.mcavoy | 2017年9月11日

I did decide to do the 1 year service, even though at the time I bought my 2016 MS they had not started to recommend the DU fluid replacement as part of year 1. I know some would say not needed, but in my case I decided since my first EV that I'd play the "maintain it by the book" route. That may change after I get past the 4 year base warranty mark, but for now, I'm doing it.

I know I've seen various comments, but in my case my local Service Center also did an alignment for me as part of that cost. This was even though there was no signs of any uneven tire wear, but I know their view is once they take the time to check the alignment, then they just go ahead and realign if they see it off nominal. That's what happened in my case; it was still in spec, but they went ahead and made a slight adjustment to bring it to the center of the spec window.

Also, in my case, my car had not been in for any service for about 9 months at that point. There were a couple minor things I had noted over the prior few months and this was a good opportunity for me to have them address those under warranty.

sr.smr | 2017年9月12日

I also will pay as you go for maintenance and perform it as recommended. However, I did pay for the extended warranty because it is a good insurance policy towards costly repairs. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the service center I visited was relatively empty. The techs must have felt like the Maytag repair men:) It's nice to see the organization running efficiently and hopefully an indication that cars are becoming more reliable.

barrykmd | 2017年9月12日

I skipped year 1 service, but at that time, there was no fluid change. Went in for year 2. Plan to skip year 3.

BruceR61 | 2017年9月12日

Just had the 1st maintenance last week, '17 MS 75 delivered 3/18/17 (now with 14k miles). Did the DU fluid replacement, alignment, and a few other things. Very efficient and great service. Maybe a little pricy ($475 as published) but I thought the DU fluid exchange was important since they don't do it again for a long while, and I obviously wouldn't trust anyone else to do it!

barrykmd | 2017年9月12日

The perplexing thing about the DU fluid change is they aren't doing it retroactively for cars that had a one year service before that change went into effect (about a year ago, I believe). I specifically asked if they'd do it on my car at 2 years and they said no.

DriveMe | 2017年9月12日

Do we need to do the tire rotation more frequently? Or is it enough to do it during the annual service?

SO | 2017年9月12日

@DriveMe - if you have a D Model, you may not need to rotate. A ranger measured my tires when they were out and the wear was even and didn't require a rotation. (10k miles)

nipper2 | 2017年9月12日

So if you have a 4-Year Maintenance Plan you still pay when you take your car in?

tes-s | 2017年9月12日

Interestingly, Chevrolet has taken a different approach with the Bolt. Other than rotating tires and changing the cabin air filter, the first maintenance is at 150,000 miles.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/...

DriveMe | 2017年9月12日

@SO - I didn't realize that a D Model may not require tire rotation! Good to know!

Bighorn | 2017年9月12日

@nipper
No

Sam100DD | 2017年9月12日

One of the main reasons I see annual service as necessary, directly from the Tesla maintenance plan page:

"If you are financing your Tesla vehicle through Tesla Financing, you will only be eligible for the full Resale Value Guarantee if your Tesla vehicle is brought in for service per the above recommended timeline."

nipper2 | 2017年9月13日

@Bighorn |Thanks

AmineTx | 2017年9月13日

I just done my first one today (purchased the plan). I dropped off the car at 7:45 am and it was ready at 1pm:
here is a detailed report of what they have done:
Corrections: Replace LH and RH Parking Brake Calipers - Gear Recall
Performed rear parking brake caliper recall.
Verified operation after repair operating as designed.
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
PARKING BRAKE CALIPERS AND PADS 1 KIT
Concern: Check Tire Pressure per CA mandate
Corrections: Check and Adjust Tire Pressure - CA MANDATE
Set tire pressure to specified pressure: Left Front - 45 psi
Right Front - 45 psi
Left Rear - 45 psi
Right Rear - 45 psi
Concern: Customer request to perform 1st annual service (SP)
Corrections: Fixed Price Annual Service 12 Month/12500 Mile/20000 km (Maintenance Plans Purchased Before Feb. 2, 2017)
- Pulled logs and checked for active faults: No active faults.
- Checked firmware version: Updated to latest version.
- Performed function check of closures (moving glass, doors, trunks): Cleaned and lubricated latches. Good, no issue.
- Vehicle charged normally @40amps.
- Replaced:
- Wiper Blades
- Key Fob Battery
- Carbon Filter
- Remote Keyless Entry: Good, no issue
- Seat belts and latches: Good, no issue
- Interior/exterior lighting and horn: Good, no issue
- Performed inspection of powertrain and chassis components: Good, no issues.
- Checked fluid levels: Topped off washer fluid. Brake and coolant levels optimal. No signs of leakage.
- Inspected tires and rotated as necessary.
- Measured tire tread depth at:
(Outer) LF: 7mm RF: 7mm
LR: 7mm
RR: 7mm
- Adjusted tire pressures to B-pillar spec: 45psi Front, 45psi Rear
- Measured brake pad thickness (mm)
LF: 8mm RF: 8mm LR: 8mm RR: 8mm Park: 5mm
- Performed 4-wheel alignment check: Good, no adjustment necessary - Test drive: Vehicle functions as designed.
- Cleaned and lubricated panoramic roof assembly
- Performed drive train differential fluid flush
Concern: Annual Service (Prepaid or Customer Pay)
Corrections: 12 Month/12500 Mile/20000 km Service (Maintenance Plans Purchased Before Feb. 2, 2017)
- Pulled logs and checked for active faults: No active faults.
- Checked firmware version: Updated to latest version.
- Performed function check of closures (moving glass, doors, trunks): Cleaned and lubricated latches. Good, no issue.
- Tested and inspected customer s charge cable: Good, no issue. Vehicle charged normally @40amps.
- Replaced:
- Wiper Blades
- Key Fob Battery
- Carbon Filter
- Remote Keyless Entry: Good, no issue
- Seat belts and latches: Good, no issue
- Interior/exterior lighting and horn: Good, no issue
- Performed inspection of powertrain and chassis components: Good, no issues.
- Checked fluid levels: Topped off washer fluid. Brake and coolant levels optimal. No signs of leakage.
- Inspected tires and rotated as necessary.
- Measured tire tread depth at:
(Outer) LF: */32
RF: */32
LR: */32
RR: */32
- Adjusted tire pressures to spec
- Measured brake pad thickness (mm)
LF: 8mm RF: 8mm LR: 8mm RR: 8mm Park: 5mm
- Performed 4-wheel alignment
- Test drive: Vehicle functions as designed.
- Cleaned and lubricated panoramic roof assembly
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
WIPER BLADE ASSEMBLY - DRIVER SIDE - 1 BOSCH 700MM MODEL S LEFT HAND
DRIVE (1051495-00-A)
WIPER BLADE ASSEMBLY - PASSENGER 1 SIDE (1051496-00-A)
BATTERY LITHIUM COIN 3V 20MM 2

Rocky_H | 2017年9月13日

@DriveMe, And I have a non-D rear wheel drive car and haven't needed to rotate. I rotated a couple of times at first and then didn't bother after that. They have always shown up as even all the way around anyway, so I still never bothered to keep rotating them. It's basically as needed as long as the wear is staying pretty even. I am just over 43K miles on my original Michelin Primacy 19" tires, and I probably will replace them this fall.

Boonedocks | 2017年9月14日

+1 with Bruce. Only I just did the Drive Unit Fluid Replacement and that’s it. Only 3 months and had the 12k 1st year service minus everything else. My S100D came with offset wheels so can’t even rotate if I wanted to.

Solarfan | 2017年9月14日

@AmineTx,
If I read the report correctly, where measurements were required, the report says they were made, and enters no information, just the "*" character, as in "LR: */32." Is that your understanding also?

redacted | 2017年9月15日

I've always wondered why people buy a $70K+ car and then cheap out on the maintenance when Tesla recommends it. Is it because you know better than Tesla? Or is it because Tesla's trying to rip you off on your maintenance?

"My dentist studied dentistry for seven years and recommends I brush my teeth daily, but I looked at the benefits and decided it was fine to just brush once per week..."

AmineTx | 2017年9月15日

@Solarfan for the tire thread measurements I went by:
Measured tire tread depth at:
(Outer) (Center) (Inner)
LF: 7mm 7mm 7mm
RF: 7mm 7mm 7mm
LR: 7mm 7mm 7mm
RR: 7mm 7mm 7mm

Honestly I am not sure what the other one is.

mac_slvr60 | 2017年9月15日

@redacted - I hope that recommendation was twice daily ;)