Forums

10 year car

10 year car

I usually keep my car for 10 years to get the best value for it. Anyone planning on doing the same with model 3 and any concerns on it lasting that long.

Kathy Applebaum | 2017年12月26日

My current car (Lexus RX330) is almost 15 years old with 230K miles, so 10 will be an absolute minimum for me. The batteries seem to be holding up on the S/X and the electric motors should last longer than the car. As long as the upholstery and dash last with all that glass, I'm not anticipating any problem with getting 10-15 years from this.

Coastal Cruiser. | 2017年12月26日

Yes and No.

chris.pribe | 2017年12月26日

My default plan is to keep it myself or in my family for a long while, too. I have no concerns about reliability or anything like that especially compared to an ICE car. It's an EV after all and Tesla already has multiple generations under its belt. Early cars might have some teething pains which Tesla will no doubt address and shouldn't lead to long term issues.

I will baby the battery, just because I plan to keep the car so long and not because of any specific concern.

I am planning to get the white seats though I can imagine my messing them up somehow and needing some kind of repair.

I'm also planning to buy the AP and FSD out of the gate so I don't have to worry about paying to upgrade or anything later. They will also make the car that much more of a keeper.

staze | 2017年12月26日

Four years on my MS P85 with 62k miles. So far so good. I am a bit worried about post-warranty costs but I don't see any reason the car won't last for 10 years. Given my early-ish production model, I can imagine the M3 is going to be way ahead in terms of fit, finish and reliability.

Like CC said, Yes and no.

rajalucy | 2017年12月26日

every other year i buy a car thinking i will keep it for 10+ years
i hope this one i will keep for at least 5

sroh | 2017年12月26日

I buy new and keep cars 10+ years. That will change this one time to get a Model 3, which will replace my current 2011 model. Everything we know about Tesla indicates the 3 will last way longer than 10 years if we want it to. Our daughter turns 8 in March, so our first Model 3 will be also her first car when she starts driving in 8-9 years.

Rutrow | 2017年12月26日

Still driving my 1993 Jeep Cherokee. I expect my Model 3 to have a similar (or bettter) lifespan. Lke my Jeep I bet the Tesla drive train will be fully functional in 10 years, the aging of the car will be in the finishes, catches, latches, and broken plastic pieces. The console door will probably be the first to go, followed closely by coat hooks and the rear armrest. I wish that armrest didn't hover unsupported. It would be much more durable if it rested on the seat when open.

Carl Thompson | 2017年12月26日

10 years shouldn't be a problem for the car. But I may not keep the car that long for other reasons...

For example if it turns out the initial Model 3's can't do full self-driving after all then I will probably trade it in for a car that can do it when they are available. If the Model 3 _can_ do full self driving I intend to keep it for a long time.

But you never know what will happen before ten years. It may be that solid state batteries become a real thing and 5 years from now EVs have a 600 mile range and charge in 5 minutes. If something like that were to happen I might decide to trade in my Model 3 for a car like that.

Daryl | 2017年12月26日

If the Model Y comes out in a couple of years and blows me away, it might be hard to resist trading in for that. Otherwise I expect at least 5 years.

PhillyGal | 2017年12月26日

Our Model S has an 8 year loan and I have absolutely no worries it won't still be driving like new when we're done.

EVino | 2017年12月26日

Yes, RWD LR Model 3 is going to be a fun keeper.

Rutrow | 2017年12月26日

sroh is quite the pessimist. Thinks we'll still be "driving" in 8-9 years. :-)

sgoodmanesq | 2017年12月26日

Plan to keep it 15-20 years. Guessing major expenses will be the electronics and a more robust battery (hopefully solid state) when it becomes available.

hdharia17 | 2017年12月26日

Let's hope that replacing battery pack when solid state becomes available is possible.

noleaf4me | 2017年12月26日

Yes and No. 10 years is just break-in time for the Model 3....

DesignArt | 2017年12月26日

All of my cars have lasted at least 10 years. My present car, a Nissan 350Z Roadster, is 14 years ago in excellent shape. In fact, except for the basics, oil changes, tires, etc., I have done nothing to it. Not even a tune-up. Great car.

andy.connor.e | 2017年12月27日

Theres a few factors that may have an effect on that. I would typically buy a used car and drive it until heavy cost maintenance would start to come into play. I will get oil changes, fuel system cleanout and the such, but when i have to start replacing parts, thats a money sinkhole. I have never owned a Tesla, but the way that i look at this car, is in the 10 years when you would otherwise be getting another car, i may only need to replace the battery (if even necessary at all). There is not a whole lot going on under the hood (so to speak) that would otherwise breakdown, like transmission, oil pressure, you know all those hundreds of moving parts that can all fail in which the engine relies on all working. Although, if my income increases, i may get a Model S. But who knows. The most likely scenario, is i will be keeping my Model 3 until Teslas "next big leap", like when the hardware for full autonomy came out, and all existing cars would not be able to achieve that. Thats pretty much the only scenario that would cause me to trade in and "upgrade".

jdwil | 2017年12月27日

Have always kept my cars for 12 to 15 years when bought new. I don't see why the 3 would be any different, was hoping the current car I had would last until I got my 3 but sadly that was not to be (13 years old and because it did not need any repairs when it broke down I was not going to start putting money into it). Bought my wife a new car and now I am driving her old one waiting for the day when I get it.

sroh | 2017年12月27日

@Rutrow,
Good catch! In fact, I am very optimistic about self driving cars; we were just discussing with her that she may never need to learn to drive. Whether she's driving or riding, an 8 ear old Model 3 will be a great first car for her. Sure beats the 8 year old Buick Regal I started with!

jordanrichard | 2017年12月27日

People always ask how long will "it last". Define "last".... What is being used to define "end of the road", "end of life"? "My XYZ car lasted 250,000 miles...." Ok, then what? What happened to define "lasted"?

andy.connor.e | 2017年12月27日

"how long will it last" means how long until it falls apart that its not worth putting back together.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年12月27日

Coastal_Cruiser is correct.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2017年12月28日

We have a 9 year old (2008) Tesla Roadster. Only issues are:
- battery is about 80% range of when new.
- TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) doesn't work and the part is no longer available or being manufactured. Car still works great. Acceleration still blows people away.
This is the 1st generation vehicle Tesla ever built. If it is good for 9 years (and I expect many more), then I feel extremely confident that the Model III will last many more than 10 years.

EESROCK | 2017年12月28日

Our Model S currently has 85k miles and will turn 5 years in March. We plan to keep our Model S and 3 for as long as they run well and don't keep breaking. The on-board charger on our Model S did fail a few months ago, but luckily my husband was able to buy a used one and replaced it himself. Just crossing my fingers that we won't have too many costly repairs.