Forums

Using19" Model S wheels on a Model X

Using19" Model S wheels on a Model X

I have seen several posts concerning stock Model X tires. Here is what I did to increase range and provide peace of mind when traveling while maintaining the stock appearance of the car.

I am using 5 245x55x19 Michelin Premier LTX tires mounted on 19 ' Model S slipstream wheels. I have used 1/4" spacers behind the wheels to bring the wheels out somewhat for looks, but they worked fine before I installed them. I own a 5 passenger 100D Model X. I rotate all 5 tires. The spare is stored in the compartment behind the back seats. The spare makes the cover sit higher and required some minor modifications to make it stable etc. I have 13,000 miles on the car and have averaged 318 wh/mi, which means my range is over 300 miles. According to the records from my first year service at 12,600 miles, the 4 tires on the car have 6/32'' tread on the front two and 7/32' on the rear tires. They measured 8/32 " when new. I have rotated them twice so far. I am driving 50% of the time 70 MPH plus on the freeway. I carry a small "bottle jack" and lug wrench. I picked up a nail 600 miles from home in one tire and was able to change it and be back on the road in under 20 minutes. It was repaired where I had the tires mounted for free when I got home. These may not be for everyone, but work fine for me. They are "only" rated for 130PMH and have a sightly lower weight carrying capacity then the stock tires. I find the higher profile makes these a good choice if the roads you travel are not in the best shape and you want greater range. If you are towing a lot and/or own the heavier 6 or 7 passenger X these might not be for you.

mxlifestyle | 2018年1月16日

Thank you guy for the good idea. I want a set of tires/wheels I can rotate and your idea gives better mileage and I expect a better price for the tires. Regarding the spacers, are they stock aluminum auto wheel spacers or did you do something special?

Model X Guy | 2018年1月17日

The spacers are actually for a BMW with the same bolt pattern. I keep it to 1/4" thickness to ensure plenty of threads were griping on the lug nuts. The service center didn't even notice that i had difference wheels until I pointed it out to them.

Trey757 | 2018年11月10日

Model X Guy, do I have this right? You're using the 19X8 slipstream wheels for the Model S on the X? I have a set from my Model S with winter tires 245/45/29. So if I change them to 245/55/19 it can work on a 5 seat 100D Model X, with 1/4 spacer?

gdoratt | 2019年8月27日

Was just curious if you changed over to the 245/55/19 tires for looks or functionality. I'm really considering this setup for my X but there's a local guy who is selling his 19"s with the 245/45/19 tires already on it. I'm not too concerned with looks so if the 245/45/19 will fit then i'd be ok to use those until they need to be replaced. Let me know.

volefen | 2019年8月27日

I think the Raven’s upgraded air suspension will be better able to adjust on the fly by looking at the road ahead. The hardware is there, but the software hasn’t been rolled out as far as I am aware.

https://paymydoctor.club/
https://paymydoctor.club/www-paymydoctor-com/

Vawlkus | 2019年8月28日

That’s MY fucking post volefen, you cut and paste spambot. }B(
Flagged

jjgunn | 2019年8月28日

Fagged!!!

jjgunn | 2019年8月28日

Damnit....I hit the "L" - FML

Vawlkus | 2019年8月29日

In this case either will work. -.-

Triggerplz | 2019年8月29日

Wow 2 funny but I don’t think I’m suppose to laugh
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
O well LMAOOOO

Model X Guy | 2019年8月29日

gdoratt

I did it for functionality, softer ride and increased range and less chance of curb rash and tire damage. They also can be rotated. The 245/55/19 tires match the diameter of the original 20" tires so the speedometer is actuate. They also will carry the increased weight of the Model X better than the 245/45/19s on the 19" wheels you are considering.

gdoratt | 2019年9月2日

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

RAUDIKAL | 2019年9月8日

@Model X Guy - the Michelin Premier LTX in size you mention do not seem to be XL load rated which is needed for the MX. Are your tires XL load rated? Maybe I am missing an available configuration.

MICHELIN PREMIER LTX
Size: 245/55R19
Service Description:103V
Load Range: SL
Eco:Michelin Total Performance
UTQG: 620 A A
Max Load: 1,929 lbs